Another "Americans are not stupid" video

That was funny and also very very scary.

I am not sure even in the Antipodes you could get that much ignorance. : )

Is it me but I am beginning to believe voting should be basic one man one vote and then multiply it out by education or voluntary exams. In the US they just use money but I am not sure I like that system as it rewards the rich.

Perfection is not expected. However without knowing how many were interviewed in the clip it is not possible to see if this was a truly representative example. The pdf i linked to does provide pure data and it does suggest that despite its global clout that the US citizen is not that aware globally.

More recent stuff from the National Geographic is suggesting that education times with globes is increasing. My personal view is everyone should be taught where nations are. I cannot see how difficult it is to look at a map and learn where countries are - in fact it should be the basic building block.

If you subscribe to the neural concept of information storage [ mindmapping essentially] then having countries as early imprinted nodes makes adding more information much easier.

An education system that does not teach what the world looks like and where major countries are at an early stage is fundamentally flawed IMO. I doubt that it is done in the UK : (

However without knowing how many were interviewed in the clip it is not possible to see if this was a truly representative example. (

You'd have to be pretty naive to think that was anything other than a montage of the dumbest answers since no one got a single answer correct. "How many sides does a triangle have?' Pfff. I would have answered every question correctly, and I'm American.

The pdf i linked to does provide pure data and it does suggest that despite its global clout that the US citizen is not that aware globally.

That average US citizen is not all that aware of much of anything beyond what is on the tube tonight. :mad:

IMHO, the biggest failing of the US educational system is that it does not encourage curiosity and teach the methods of satisfying it. In fact, in various ways, some subtle and some not so subtle, it actively discourages curiosity. You're right, it's not hard to open an atlas and find out where a country lies on the map. But first you've got to want to do that.

Michael

being asked questions by a guy with a foreign accent

+

wondering if questions might be trick questions

+

brain freeze due to being put on the spot

+

editing out all the correct answers

=

looking like a nation of idiots

----------------------------------

Besides, it's effectively in the rest of the world's interest to promulgate the idea that America has the Western world's monopoly on "don't know and don't care to know" people.

Dietrich - your analysis is fair enough but saying nothing is also an option : ) I do agree anyone can find dumb people in any ccountry. BTW are there any programmes on TV for clever people - we have a few on TV and radio.

This is ABC and a scathing indictment on the US education system failing its students:

And this is a lengthier film on Youtube which is a seven part video by PBS on the US education system. Rather startlingly it says that up to 50% of US teachers resign within 5 years! The Finnish system which is the highest rated has teachers training for 6 years and they must have degrees. Only 10% pass the initial teacher training assessment. The difference in pay between the two systems is marginal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AK_11KajyY

I saw only five of the series.

And just to show where an easy fix might be:

"

Summer learning loss is the loss in academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer vacation. The loss in learning varies across grade level, subject matter, and family income. A common finding across numerous studies is that on average, students score lower on standardized tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer (on the same test). Summer loss for all students is estimated to be equal to about 1 month (Cooper 1996), but this varies across subject matter:

• Mathematics - 2.6 months of grade-level equivalency loss
  • Reading- Varies across SES. Low income students generally lose about 2 months of reading achievement. Middle income students experience slight gains in reading performances.

For over a century, scholars have recognized that summer vacation is a period when students’ rate of academic development declines relative to the school year. All children lose academic skills during the summer months, and family socioeconomic status (SES) is highly correlated to the level of academic growth or decline in the summer months. Two-thirds of the academic achievement gap in reading and language found among high school students has been explained through the learning loss that occurs during the summer months of the primary school years.[1]"

wiki

being asked questions by a guy with a foreign accent

+

wondering if questions might be trick questions

+

brain freeze due to being put on the spot

+

editing out all the correct answers

=

looking like a nation of idiots

----------------------------------

Besides, it's effectively in the rest of the world's interest to promulgate the idea that America has the Western world's monopoly on "don't know and don't care to know" people.

At least some of the geographically and educationally challenged Merkuns are