Mac Version!!

I'm thinking about getting a Mac. I cant decide if its worth it. Will I have the same quality that I have with my PC?

You're gonna get 100 mostly worthless responses to this question (Including mine -- I'm not sure if this is the best forum to get information on this issue...):

Do you mean general computer quality, or specifically quality of game experience in CMx2? If the latter, and gaming is primarily what you do on our computer, then you should stick with PCs. There a lot more games available for Macs now than there were few years ago, and Macs generally run them pretty well, but you can still get a much more powerful gaming rig, for much cheaper, if you go the PC route.

If you mean just general computer use, it depends. I drive a PC and a Mac wouldn't work for what I do here in the office (specialized software, primarily). But our primary home computer is a Mac and we're very happy with it.

The biggest single reason I like the Mac at home is that I don't get 2-3 calls/day from my wife, asking me how to do something or fix something on the computer. She uses the home computer pretty heavily (she's self-employed, so the home computer is her "office"), and the Mac just works for her. But I like it, too. It's very intuitive to use (even though I spend 7+ hours/day working on a PC, I rarely have to think much about how to do something on the Mac), and it just keeps working without much maintenance from me.

But there are many more options with PCs, so if you like tinkering with hardware, etc., then there are some advantages to going the PC route. PCs can also be cheaper, depending on what you need from the machine and provided you know what you're doing. In my experience, despite the lower initial price tag, PCs can end up being more expensive over the entire time of ownership for non tech-savvy folks who have to call in an expert for fixes and upgrades.

There was a time in my life when I liked thumbing through computer hardware magazines and tweaking my own PC. Now, I just don't have the time or the inclination. For me personally, Mac is the way to go. Runs CM fine, and much easier to get the real life stuff done on it (for both myself and the better half). YMMV.

Cheers,

YD

YD - You must be me in a parallel universe. I can ditto just about everything you said. And I would add to it that if you get a Mac you can always run bootcamp and load Windows to satisfied you PC jones. For me, not getting the 2-3 calls a day from my wife with questions/problems was worth the higher entry price alone.

Just wondering if BF have any preliminary recommendations for the hardware specs to run the Mac version.

I've just been going round the shops looking at the latest Mac laptops on offer and wondering if this is the time for some capital investment so I can play the game when it comes out.

My current Mac is a MacBook that I bought in early 2008 mainly for work, and now hardly the fittest Mac to run CMBN, I think.

Dan

Just wondering if BF have any preliminary recommendations for the hardware specs to run the Mac version.

Check post #3 in this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94879

It links to several other threads where this is discussed. Your answer should turn up in one of those.

Michael

I'm skeptical a Mac Air will run it very well. The Graphics card in the MBA is the Nvidia 320M, which isn't bad considering it's a sub-notebook. But the processors are dialed way back for heat and energy savings... I dunno, they might be able to run CMx2 OK, and you certainly don't need the highest levels of detail when you're playing on an 11" or 13" screen. But I'd definitely wait for the demo and give it a try on a MBA before buying if that was the machine I wanted to play it on.

But pretty much any other new Mac being sold today should be able to handle it -- Steve said he is running CMBN just fine on a 2 year old mid-grade MBP with the debug code in (which he says slows things down 10-20%). The current generation Mac Minis, Macbooks, and low-end MBPs with the Nvidia 320M compare favorably in terms of processing power and graphics ability to where mid-grade MBPs were ~2years ago, so I'm pretty confident that they'll run it fine. Just bear in mind that the 320M shares system memory, so you definitely want to get at least 4GB system memory on one of these systems (which is a cheap upgrade, just don't buy it from Apple directly).

But for optimal gaming experience, of course you'll be better off with a MBP or iMac (or heck, a Mac Pro if you've got money to burn!).

One further thought: MBPs are overdue for a refresh, and supply channel indications are that new models are coming soon. So if this is your choice, I'd wait to buy, if you possibly can -- in a few months, you'll be able to get a newer, faster model, or get the current versions for cheap on closeout.

IBut pretty much any other new Mac being sold today should be able to handle it -- Steve said he is running CMBN just fine on a 2 year old mid-grade MBP with the debug code in (which he says slows things down 10-20%).

Mine's fine too.

Specs in signature block below (and I think I posted a more detailed summary in an earlier post too).

Yeah; thanks for those, Mark. More data is good.

I just used Steve's MBP as my benchmark because, while he didn't state the his exact hardware, his general description of a "2 year-old mid-grade MBP" would probably be a little slower than your system - In early 2009, the fastest MBP you could possibly get would be a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with an NVidia 9600M. And since he said "mid grade", his machine is presumably a notch or two below this.

Cheers,

YD

If it is of interest for someone, I'm playing CM:SF on a MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, GeForce 8600M GT 256MB. Screen resolution is 1440x900. Settings are low. Game runs smoothly and without any problems. (via Bootcamp XP)

But I would really appreciate a MAC version, as I'm doing everything else via OSX. Rebooting just for gaming is a lil bit annoying ...

Yes apparently someone in personnel made a huge mistake and I was tapped on the shoulder yesterday at about 1030 and told to report to the COMD's office.

I had been writing a brief for him so I though it was about that, then I get near his office and the Chief of Staff tells me he wants to see me in the Conference Room, door opens and there he is with all the staff (and they'd gone and got my wife) and the "old man" made quite a deal of it.

A bit chuffed actually.

Then of course being a good Cavalry officer I had to go to the Mess and order several cases of Krug, pay my new dearer Mess Fees and get acquainted with a new bigger IN tray.

Oh and Adjutants here are CAPTs. :)

I just bought a second hand iMac so that I am all set to play CM:BN when it is released.

I realize that the system requirements for CM:BN haven't been released yet, but do you guys think that the following spec is in the ball park? Or am I going to have to upgrade again?

iMac (2008 edition)

OSX 10.6

2.8Ghz Dual Core

2GB RAM

256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro