Sales Policy: Normandy MAC OS X and Win version

The question is simple:

you purchase once and can play on both Mac and Win (bootcamp for me);which is buy the Win version get the Mac version free (and vice versa).

After all, there are 2 licenses!

I ask this question because:

I am a Mac user and would like the OS X version. But so far I have managed my game with friends (xfire, hamachi, tunngle .....) in window, partition boocamp. In bootcamp I have already CMSF and CMA.

Well it certainly runs under BootCamp (now that Steve has made an announcement I don't need to be so circumspect). So if you do need to buy the Windows version you can run it on your Mac.

The "native" version needs OS X 10.6 (looking forward to testing it with Lion) so don't complain if you are trying to run it on a SE30 with System 7. :)

And no, its NOT and iPhone or iPad app (yet).

We are still trying to figure out the best way we can offer Mac versions of CM:SF and CM:A to people who already have the Windows version.

I am not sure if I understood correctly: is it going to be released a MacOSX version of CM:SF and CM:A somewhere in the near future?? That would be awesome!

The "native" version needs OS X 10.6 (looking forward to testing it with Lion) so don't complain if you are trying to run it on a SE30 with System 7. :)

That's the system I'm running the original CMBO on, still! Close enough, anyway.

(I still have a working SE30, yes. And a Powerbook 100 among my many Apple tech toys.)

Yes Lion = OS X 10.7

Unfortunatley in a lack of communication between the "two Steves" a chance to synchronise mutually supporting product placements was lost with both:

OS X 10.4 = Tiger

OS X 10.3 = Panther

Being released before BTS / BFC had a version of CM:BN to run on them. :)

(Signature block now updated to reflect what is now in the Public Domain)

Good news for us Macfellas. Any indications on Mac system requirements? I suspect the old intel Mac minis are doubtful, but what about the newer integrated graphic chips the NV 320M variety?

Great news of course for the whole CM B4N progress!

David

David,

Well my machine runs it fine (refer signature block below).

I'd suspect an integrated graphic chip will never give you as good performance as a dedicated card.

Also it needs 10.6 and beyond so that's a good guide too (refer the Apple site for what's required to run 10.6).

And its "CM:BN" ! :)

Currently we have no Mac versions. CM:BN will be the first. We are still trying to figure out the best way we can offer Mac versions of CM:SF and CM:A to people who already have the Windows version. We will hopefully have an answer about this towards the end of January.

Steve

OK

thanks, I'll wait ready to buy back all for my big Mac OS X ;)

Berto,

Don't worry there are people on the "inside" pushing this barrow already. ;)

gibsonm I count on you.

IIRC, someone posted here a while back that they had CMSF running fairly well in Win98 Bootcamp on a plain 'ol Macbook, and IIRC this was for the previous generation Macbook, with an NVidia 9400M. The newer Macbooks (and Minis, and Airs) have the Nvidia 320M, which beats the 9400M by a fair bit in benchmark tests.

So it's reasonable to assume that an OSX version of CMSF would run fairly well on any current generation Mac. If CMBN's minimum system requirements aren't much higher than CMSF, then CMBN should also run OK on the full Mac line, though I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if a 320M can return a very good framerate on a large Normandy map full of buildings and dense vegetation.

My experience is also that OSX system and graphics drivers are more efficient than Windows, so as long as the code is optimized for OSX (which I'm sure it will be if Charles is doing the coding), then we'll see a slightly higher frame rate running the game in OSX we will on the same system, running the game in Windows in Bootcamp.

In any event, given BFC's record for sticking to projected product release dates, Apple will probably have developed an iPhone powerful enough to run CMSF by the time the game is actually out. :P

(I kid because I love! There are unlikely to be significant updates to the Mac line until at least June '11, and I certainly hope the game is out by then... and as much as I'd love to see it, I'm sure any "CMx2 Mobile" is, at most, a gleam in Charles' eye at this point. :D)

Er, SF for windows began shipping almost three and a half years ago.

:confused:

Michael

Ah yes well I obviously mis read that (it being New Year's Eve and all then - 0630 on New Years Day now).

No sorry no information as to if / when CM:SF for Mac will ship.

Need to find out why the room is spinning. :)