thee immortal thread ov music piences about history and warfare

yay, this thread will last forever so please type in with your dear input apparatus (keyboard, pad whatever) links to musical pieces related to history and warfare!!½11 preferrably ones you judge to hold some educational value or individual cases you for some meaningless reason find to be valuable personally.

i start with

Rasputina - 1816, The year without a summer

i think this is the most informative educative musical piece i have ever listened to as it awakened me up to the whole subject. it makes me wish there was a song about all the years of recorded history.

it's tempting to post ones ranging from Jedi Mind Trics to Bolt Thrower, but i resists. one song per post pls. orly? ya rly!

There's the above mentioned Shostakovich's 7th (2nd and 3rd part for the really famous bit)

Yeah. Sometimes I put the CD on and just listen to the middle movements. They are heartbreakingly beautiful. So, BTW, is the third movement of the 5th. Symphony, which for some reason always reminds me of Omaha Beach.

Michael

I'm liking those.

Predictable, but worth every second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7XNb3Q9Ek

Vincere, when I clicked on your link I got this message from YouTube:

This video contains content from Lionsgate, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the piece you wanted to link to?

Michael

/thread

Also:

Sure you can say he blatantly ripped off large chunks from Mars, bringer of war from the planets, but I think he did an excellent "remix".

And finally, a pretty damn cool heavy metal (I'd say it most resembles Iron Maiden) tribute to the Tempest (the fighter of course):

http://tempest.nerdnet.nl/legacy2.mp3

Doesn't hurt that the Tempest is my favorite WW2 fighter along with the 190 :). When it comes to looks though... Tempest wins. In IL-2 Sturmovik though they're pretty much on par with each other. Both energy fighters, both have insane firepower, and both have great dive characteristics.

Sure you can say he blatantly ripped off large chunks from Mars, bringer of war from the planets, but I think he did an excellent "remix".

I wouldn't say "blatant rip-off". The composer admits to making allusions to Holst's work quite simply because it was a piece of music about Romans making war.

Zimmer also said that he challenged himself to write the piece in waltz time (I think 3/4). Mars is 5/4

" But Hans Zimmer copied this theme from Gustav Holst who wrote the Planets Suite, part of which is Mars: Bringer of War. Holst wrote The Planets in the early 1900's. Mars: Bringer of War is considered one of the most influential pieces of the 20th Century. Holst's estate sued Zimmer after the release of Gladiator for copyright of the song, and the estate won! If you haven't listened to Mars - do so as it is unforgettable."

Vincere, when I clicked on your link I got this message from YouTube:

Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the piece you wanted to link to?

Michael

Ooops, sorry had clicked your first two and posted The Ride of the Valkyries with choppers, then clicked on your third.

I try to make up for it:

As much a visual experience as music. But the music lived with for some time after first hearing it as a teen.

If the song was assigned voluntarily to Holst's estate then I doubt there is a recorded legal result - cases lapsed might be where to look. But I am guessing.

The quote was off the YouTube link.

Here is a interesting thread on Zimmer and he seems to be Edison like in his working arrangements:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/archive/index.php/t-3971.html

Yes I saw the comment on the YouTube page. But, well I'd prefer to see some really supportable evidence that the case was resolved rather than just someone mouthing off on social media site. My guess is more likely that it never came to court because there were such weak legal grounds. Entertainment lawyers will try anything. It's a numbers game.

Have you read the latest link where apparently Zimmer said he had used Mars? Admittedly only a couple of people who watched a certain TV show. How far can you take it?

Zimmer assigns the rights the case gets dropped and nobody says anything as part of the settlement - Zimmer hardly wants a court case where he loses and is branded a plagiarist. Holst's estate makes more money. Who is going to rock the boat?

I would have thought that The Planets would have been in the public domain by now anyway. Musicians have pinched themes and even entire melodic lines since time immemorial and nobody gave much thought to it. "Variations on a theme by..." has been a staple of the classical world for centuries, let alone the use of folk songs. Society has become far too proprietary and litigious.

Michael