way back in 1999!

toxic.zen

• 2 weeks later...
Browser problems?

Yes, very much browser problems!!! For some reason since about late September I haven't been able to access the Battlefront website via my laptop at home (the only computer I have left working there) which runs Microsoft Explorer ver. 6. It appears that BFC have decided to not allow such users of older computer equipment access anymore and one is forced to upgrade their computer with a later version of Explorer (the laptop can't be upgraded to a later version as everything is based upon Windows XP running version 6).

The only problem with upgrading ones computer with say a Windows ver. 7 type (apart from cost obviously) is the well documented problems with being able to run games such as CMBB hassle free on such whizz bang computers. One could almost suspect the change in settings that doesn't allow access to the BFC site using an older version of Explorer could be tied into active discouragement of continuing to play CMBB & CMAK in favour of the soon to be released CMN that has no problems with the latest computer gear. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but at the very least its bloody annoying.

Regards

KR

You should seriously consider upgrading, myself and many others are still playing CMAK/CMBB with newer hardware. Like in my case I'm on Vista 32-bit with Nvidia 9800GTX+ card with no problems. They also got a upgrade you can buy I think for like $5 to help with the driver problems. If you need it, I don't.

Come join the rest of the world, your gonna have to soon anyway with CMN coming out. ;)

What Vanir said. Additionally, our main site has never been working properly with IE6 due to a bug in IE6 with handling transparent image (PNG) files. We have been blocking certain IE6 browser versions for some time now. There are plenty of free upgrade choices (IE7 or 8, even 9 beta is public now), and other free browser options (firefox, opera etc.) so there is no reason to be using IE6, at all.

BTW, Windows versions and IE versions have nothing to do with each other. I have been running XP on one of mine with IE7, no problems (although admittedly, there are many bugs in IE8 with anything else but Vista or newer)

Martin

The only problem with upgrading ones computer with say a Windows ver. 7 type (apart from cost obviously) is the well documented problems with being able to run games such as CMBB hassle free on such whizz bang computers.

You actually get your information from the back of cereal boxes? Do you really believe that?? (Psst, don't let BFC know but CMBB and CMAK work great on Win7 even without the patches)

One could almost suspect the change in settings that doesn't allow access to the BFC site using an older version of Explorer could be tied into active discouragement of continuing to play CMBB & CMAK in favour of the soon to be released CMN that has no problems with the latest computer gear. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but at the very least its bloody annoying.

Regards

KR

Hmm, I think I can see the connection there. Well actually not really, but I thought it might be kind of lonely where you are and you may appreciate a bit of company. Cheers.

Hard to believe it has been over a decade. The whole internet felt a lot smaller back then as was the CM community. Bunch of serious wargame geeks and nerds back in the day. Had to be to put up with cheesy graphics and Charlie Brown soldiers but still consider them "revolutionary" because we could actually see a 3d battlefield.

You actually get your information from the back of cereal boxes? Do you really believe that?? (Psst, don't let BFC know but CMBB and CMAK work great on Win7 even without the patches)

I have read enough threads over at Band of Brothers complaining about the incompatibility of CMBB (especially) with their newly purchased computer systems to know it's not imagined. Why the snarkiness with your cereal box comment?

Hmm, I think I can see the connection there. Well actually not really, but I thought it might be kind of lonely where you are and you may appreciate a bit of company. Cheers.

Not really. As I said, I know of enough people who have had real problems with running the old CMx1 games on their brand new computers to put in me in no doubt the problem exists and then, all of a sudden, I'm unable to access the BFC website from home using my older model laptop running XP & Explorer v6 that runs CMx1 like a charm. It's not too far of a stretch to presume that there may be an agenda to have people update their computers using the latest hardware but, in the process of upgrading, find out they can't run the old CMx1 games anymore. But hey.... there's this brand new CMx2 game coming out soon that we guarantee wont have any problems with your hardware!

It's not exactly up there with Nazi flying saucers I agree, but still a plausible hypothesis from where I sit.

Regards

KR

I have read enough threads over at Band of Brothers complaining about the incompatibility of CMBB (especially) with their newly purchased computer systems to know it's not imagined. Why the snarkiness with your cereal box comment?

Not really. As I said, I know of enough people who have had real problems with running the old CMx1 games on their brand new computers to put in me in no doubt the problem exists and then, all of a sudden, I'm unable to access the BFC website from home using my older model laptop running XP & Explorer v6 that runs CMx1 like a charm. It's not too far of a stretch to presume that there may be an agenda to have people update their computers using the latest hardware but, in the process of upgrading, find out they can't run the old CMx1 games anymore. But hey.... there's this brand new CMx2 game coming out soon that we guarantee wont have any problems with your hardware!

It's not exactly up there with Nazi flying saucers I agree, but still a plausible hypothesis from where I sit.

Regards

KR

CMBB and CMAK do not work if you have a 64bit operating system like Vista64 of Win7 64 bit. It works fine with the 32 bit version of these systems. If you want to play CMBB or CMAK on Vista64 or Win7 64bit you have to pay a small amount for a patch by BFC (what I did) and then there is no problem.

And as much as I hate having to upgrade, you can't expect your particular hardware/software to be maintained forever. New technologies are coming out all the time

allowing designers to do much more, in a sense having to support really old systems holds back "progress" :).

Internet explorer is 10 years old now so maybe it's time to move on.

You can get Internet explorer 7 for free, or firefox for free or chrome for free or opera for free. All of which will run fine on windows XP (firefox, chrome and opera will probably run faster and take less memory then IE6) so you can see both the BFC website and keep playing CMBB/CMAK :D.

CMBB and CMAK both run fine on my Win7 Home(32 bit) laptop and my Win7 Pro(64 bit) home computer. When running Vista, neither would work without the patches. In my circle of gaming partners I have not heard any different.

Conspiracy theories and cereal boxes are tied at the hip! :)

CMBB and CMAK both run fine on my Win7 Home(32 bit) laptop and my Win7 Pro(64 bit) home computer. When running Vista, neither would work without the patches. In my circle of gaming partners I have not heard any different.

Conspiracy theories and cereal boxes are tied at the hip! :)

I had two 64bit systems and CMAK did not work for me, I looked on the forum and this was what I seem to remember. Maybe it has to do with the graphics card. Anyway if you can run it fine, if not you can get the patch for a small price. Firefox still rock though :)

The Capt, is that really you? Seems like it's been years since I've seen you around. Weren't you the guy with the French Foreign Legion sock puppet? The one who smoked Gauloise and was very cynical?

Michael

Damn, I have been made!!

Yup, I am back although with a much lower profile. I spend most of my time in the "BFC Retirement Home" with the likes of Bil Hardenbeger. We play checkers and yell at the youngins between medication timings.

Damn, I have been made!!

Yup, I am back although with a much lower profile. I spend most of my time in the "BFC Retirement Home" with the likes of Bil Hardenbeger. We play checkers and yell at the youngins between medication timings.

Cool. I'll just park my wheelchair beside your table and kibbitz a while until I nod off. Hope my snoring doesn't bother you.

:D

Michael