Switching between WeGo and RT ingame?

What would everyones views on switching between WeGo and RT in game?

Playing a mission just now i find that its difficult to ballance the positives and negatives of RT vs WeGO.

In WeGo my guys advancing to contact/force recce get shat on as they have up to a minute of sitting around before i can do anything, takes alot of luck as well as timed pauses with reverse to not lose anyone, especialy when playing with the brits. Also doing any kind of "admin" such as swapping guys between vehicles and restocking ammo takes about 3/4 minutes with embarking/ disimbarkng needing each step.

In RT im overwelmed by the amount of things happening with trying to manage anything more than a few units.

The ability to swap between the two modes whilst in the game would play to both there strong points, but then again theres the problems in multiplayer email system. What are your thoughts? (Im not saying this should come into NATO, Normandy or anything, just curious on everyone elses thoughts.)

This has been discussed a heck of a lot around here. Just did a search, here's a few that popped up.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=89914&highlight=RealTime

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=84353&highlight=RT+vs+wego

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=92490&highlight=RealTime

But I don't see the harm in giving the player the ability to change modes mid-battle. Obviously only possible at the next minute start time. The time and effort needed to do this is probably not worth it though. However giving a replay feature for us RTers would be a "Earth Shattering" feature. :D

P.S. You can pause anytime in RT by pressing the spacebar.

This has been discussed a heck of a lot around here. Just did a search, here's a few that popped up.

*snip*

P.S. You can pause anytime in RT by pressing the spacebar.

Yeah i should have searched it aswell. But was tierd and didnt want to search the whole ting to see if this exact thing had come up, my bad. yeah i know about the pause ability i still get a little tunnel vision on a just a few units.

I play in RT and pause frequently to issue orders and reassess the battlefield. It's gamey in that it takes away the reflexes aspect of a fluid battlefield, but then again so does Wego, right?

You could say its gamey that you have to tell them to react at all. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's pretty much it. Theoretically it is possible, and I agree desirable sometimes, but its not technically easy for us to support. The best we could do is what we did for the Campaign... you can switch back and forth inbetween battles, but not during. The reason is that all battles start off with the same data set regardless of which method of play is used. But once the battle is started, different internal mechanism store different data in different ways depending on which method is in use.

Steve

Steve, since you popped in here and this maybe a redundant question, but your use to them by now. What's the word about a 30 sec or 1 min rolling replay feature for RT? I think last I saw you talk about it was that it's indeed on the to-do list but just lower down.

Not sure why people think it's gamey not playing in RT or pausing....this is a game about tactics and analysing the battlefield....I assume many of us aren't trained in Company or high combat....so what we need to work out an experienced company commander would know instinctively....also you can't have your eyes all over the battlefield, our pixel troops AI is at a level of a combat soldiers so they need close watching...many reasons why it's niot gamey to lay WEOGO or pause during RT...infact if you don't I believe your at a distinct disadvantage to real life...

Yes, that's pretty much it. Theoretically it is possible, and I agree desirable sometimes, but its not technically easy for us to support. The best we could do is what we did for the Campaign... you can switch back and forth inbetween battles, but not during. The reason is that all battles start off with the same data set regardless of which method of play is used. But once the battle is started, different internal mechanism store different data in different ways depending on which method is in use.

Steve

So no Rt / wego switch, what about a 3 min playback in RT, would that be technically easier ?

Ive had an idea!!

Reto (WeGo/RT 2.0!)

The game starts as normal for WeGo, place orders then press start, the game calculates it the 4 15 second bursts that make up 1minute which can then be interupted at 15,30,45 seconds and orders changed. The game disregards/deletes the calculated sections and calculates new ones for the rest of the minute.

Can fast forward but when you have passed each 15 second marker you cannot freeze it "in the past".

This unfortunatly wont work "via email" multiplayer, maybe the ability to select 15sec, 30sec and so.

I play RT all the time now. It makes for a much faster game and I actually like the confusion of it all. It's also great to have the control, i.e. moving a vehicle up to a crest for a quick peak, and then stopping it reversing half way back across the map after a RPG hit :)

You can also bring your additional guns to bear on targets much quicker than the AI!

I play RT all the time now. It makes for a much faster game and I actually like the confusion of it all. It's also great to have the control, i.e. moving a vehicle up to a crest for a quick peak, and then stopping it reversing half way back across the map after a RPG hit :)

You can also bring your additional guns to bear on targets much quicker than the AI!

Coop RT with a player commanding each company and player above them telling them all where to go!!

Having a rolling Replay feature for RT is definitely high up on our desired feature list. Normandy, however, required so much engineering to get WW2 and Temperate settings up and running (not to mention the new QB system!) that we didn't have time for a lot of things we wanted to do. Er, which is unfortunately normal :( We're still working through wish list items that predate the release of CMBO.

Steve

Having a rolling Replay feature for RT is definitely high up on our desired feature list. Normandy, however, required so much engineering to get WW2 and Temperate settings up and running (not to mention the new QB system!) that we didn't have time for a lot of things we wanted to do. Er, which is unfortunately normal :( We're still working through wish list items that predate the release of CMBO.

Steve

Good to hear it's high up on the list though. Fingers crossed it'll be in the east front game. But as the ole saying goes "All in good time"! :)