First impressions

Amedeo

I suffered a major defeat in that mission despite my depleted squad repelling all Muj advances, but as you said a few lucky rpg's seemed to doom me as I lost one of my two BMP's and half a dozen men. Next time I might withdraw the majority of my force to a better position leaving a token unit hidden to hold the hill. A little gamey maybe but the points system seems so heavily weighted towards the enemy in this mission.

I suffered a minor tactical defeat orso in the end. I was doing ok turning those BMP's and troops around to face different enemies but all of a sudden a RPG took out one of my BMP's. Later on while I was fighting on one side a squad which had 2 casualties fully disappeared. I heard some MG fire so I guess it was that.

It feels a little like those puzzle RTS games where you have to be lucky and exactly right to come through a certain phase. Unfortunately there is no LOAD button in CMx2 while playing the game. Normally I thought that was OK since it kept me from reloading too often, but now I am starting to miss it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amedeo: "I would presume that they are not intechangeable in CM:A." Thanks for your response and I appreciate your "presuming" but was hoping to find people here who have tested this and/or KNOW what the answer is, otherwise yours is just one more opinion based on...? (I don't mean to sound harsh, but too many times on these forums we have people giving opinions based on prejudice or something other than actually knowing the answer. And it's a real waste of space and time.)

It's a little ironic to brush something off as more of the same then follow it up with the statement that you prefer it over modern!. Of course it is the same engine under the hood, with the same 'game mechanics' further refined in this iteration. I believe that was the whole intent of going forward with this engine - you will see this engine again, contrary to the ramblings in NeverNever Land.

The 'feel' is different because of the weapons systems, squad/platoon organization and vehicle hardware, among other factors. I have played Red vs Red in CMSF as well; there are similarities but it is not the same. CMA feels and plays different in a very tangible way, further commented on by others here.

I played the Counter Ambush scenario for the second time last night and still had a blast using 'meat and potato' tactics to overcome the Muj. In a pbem of Desperate Crossing, and I am opening my turns with a sense of trepidation I can't recall having since the early days of CM. If Normandy is this times X then whoa! :)

Your opinion, my opinion. I don't find it ironic at all that I like the game so far, after all, I always did like CMSF on the whole.

It's all about what it's always been about, firepower, suppression, movement and sound tactics. And of course learning the foibles of the actual game mechanics. I just happen to think that older periods can provide more fun as the weapon lethality is a wee bit more forgiving. I expect the Normandy game will be more like CMA than CMSF in this respect.

Cheers

Just Finished the Demo's Bear mission.

Loved it. Personally it did feal much different to SF. Unit make up- arty response and more evenly matched infantry. Oh, yeah, fragility of BMPs.

That said, I can easily see a point of view that it may feel similar to SF; but my experience was that the differences are outweigh those. Admitedly although I have downloaded Red on Red SF I have not got round to them yet.

Want to see a quick patch though!

Spoiler:

Played well for me. I thought that I was FUBAR as they stalled my attack, and I had to back off for the Atry to earn their pay.

I went back to CMAK last night and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I guess the key thing is to continue to support the series despite the hard times for many of us.

CMA is different in a good way. At $35, it is also an investment in the future. The posts are generally positive and seems people are taking the plunge. Way to go, BF.