Thoughts from a new player

pkh

I've recently started playing this game, and overall I like it a lot, but I have some questions and issues that bug me.

* I'd like a way to map middle mouse button (or other mouse buttons) to f.ex. 'clear waypoints'. This doesn't seem possible at the moment.

* Are there any plans to take advantage of multicore cpu's in the next version ?

* The british Warrior vehicles don't seem able to aim correctly with their coaxial 7.62 mm. They can practically not hit stationary infantry at close range (40m), but will consistently mis-aim.

* The soldiers seem very poor at spotting. Many of the vehicles have IR sights, but can't spot infantry 100m away before the infantry opens fire. Similar with snipers looking at infantry firing 300m away in a previously spotted position, and they're unable to see anything.

* When doing area targeting vs. a building, having an option to select a specific floor or the entire building would be nice.

* I'd like an optional selection mode, where a left clicking a unit would select only that unit. Currently, if a unit is part of a selected group, left clicking it will keep the rest of the other group selected as well.

* The british Warrior vehicles don't seem able to aim correctly with their coaxial 7.62 mm. They can practically not hit stationary infantry at close range (40m), but will consistently mis-aim.

* The soldiers seem very poor at spotting. Many of the vehicles have IR sights, but can't spot infantry 100m away before the infantry opens fire. Similar with snipers looking at infantry firing 300m away in a previously spotted position, and they're unable to see anything.

You have to be more specific about the circumstances I guess before anything sensible can be said.

As for the hotkeys, I guess you already figured about you can edit the hotkeys.txt. So if some button is not there, I'm afraid it's not possible.

I've recently started playing this game, and overall I like it a lot, but I have some questions and issues that bug me.

* I'd like a way to map middle mouse button (or other mouse buttons)

to f.ex. 'clear waypoints'. This doesn't seem possible at the moment.

* Are there any plans to take advantage of multicore cpu's in the next version ?

* When doing area targeting vs. a building, having an option to select

a specific floor or the entire building would be nice.

Welcome to the finest tactical wargame around!

Dont know about the hotkey.txt, but you can map your mouse

in windows(if mousedriver supports this) to the corresponding key in

CMSF. So that e.g. middlemouse is pausegame etc.

AFAIK no plans for multicorecpusupport for this engine, which will

be the engine used for the next couple of years.

I wholeheartly support your last point. I think it has something to

do with that you are able to see the upper storey but not the first

floor etc.

In CMSF infantry in the field are closer together than they would be in real life in order to keep them in the action spots, so IIRC the (mis)aiming of MGs vs infantry is deliberately programmed to compensate for their generally tight grouping to inflict realistic casualties. It looks pretty goofy at close range, but it keeps casualties generally realistic I guess. You will notice that against vehicles and infantry in buildings the aiming of MGs is "correct." I do not know why MG grouping is so tight though. There seems to be hardly any spread per burst.

Explosions are also nerfed a little to cause realistic casualties to infantry in the field.

Hope that helps!

You can already do this, just click on the floor in question. This includes rooftops.

His point, though, is that while you can select one floor at a time, you can't have them area target the whole building.

IMO having a single unit do that is not going to be terribly productive unless it's a huge (in other words, Marine) squad shooting at a small building.

I'd like to be able to select the floor. From a distance it can be hard to tell which floor I'm clicking on. Sometimes I mean to click a certain floor and end up targeting another floor. And once the target is marked with the red line, it can sometimes be difficult to tell which floor it's actually targeting.

As a side note, I'd like some indication of what floor a selected unit is currently on. Now sometimes I have to select the unit, hit Tab to jump to the unit, and move the camera down to the level that the unit is on, just to be able to see what floor they are on.

* I'd like a way to map middle mouse button (or other mouse buttons) to f.ex. 'clear waypoints'. This doesn't seem possible at the moment.

Well, I've tried (quite unsuccesfully, it seems) to raise interest in a small program called GlovePie, where mapping the middle mouse button (or the other mouse buttons) would be quite easy:

Key.BackSpace = Mouse.MiddleButton

Put that in the script window of Glovepie and hit the "RUN" button, then start CM:SF, and you're all set.

With a modicum of effort, all keys can be reprogrammed for all commands--no need to even worry about what's included in the Hotkeys file.

GlovePie is free and can be found here:

http://www.glovepie.org/poiuytrewq.php

HintJ, I think the biggest problem with that is people might think it's too technical...I personally haven't had a problem with the commands because by now I am just used to doing them the way they are set up...but then I play 99.9% in WEGO so there isn't a rush when I am issuing orders.

Bump your thread and see if you can get some more people interested. It sounds like a great idea for people that want to really personalize how they issue orders and such, in game.

Mord.