CM:ETO ? No, it's not the ETA

I guess BFC has not decided yet on a name for the (initial) Normandy based game, family and modules.

Will the name CM: ETO* cover the whole family? Or is the title Combat Mission: European Theater of Operations not descriptive enough?

*[aka CM: Attack Lobsters]

CMSF stand alone Game had the 3 Modules; Marines, UK & NATO

IIRC

Normandy is a stand alone Game with 3 Modules planned; Brits, Market Garden & Catch-all

Bulge & Eastern Front (Bagration?) will also each be stand alone games with their own modules

As far as naming is concerned, thats anybody's guess

other than the First two words of it

CM

My guess is if BFC follows the same "Naming convention"

they will have separate names for each stand alone game

I think he means the umbrella term for the Normandy game: Bulge and Eastern Front. Just like CMSF has USMC, UK, and NATO.

It's a good question that not even the beta testers know yet!

Umm, I still don't understand what he means by that though. ;) The name for the family will cover, well, the family. :D Is he asking what games and modules the Normandy family will consist of?

I should probably post something more "permanent" about our plans, but I have actually been very specific about what we're planning on doing when we have conversations like this. Here's another go at it in Forum form :D

CMx2 stuff is divided up into four basic concepts:

Epoch (or as we call it, Track)

Family

Game

Module

We plan on having three Epochs in development concurrently (i.e. all at the same time). These are:

Modern

Western Front

Eastern Front

We can, and already have, add to this depending on various conditions. The example at the moment is Afghanistan, which is a one shot "Epoch" of sorts (i.e. Afghanistan is self contained).

Next is what we call a Family. This is a grouping of a base Game and 2-4 Modules. For example, Combat Mission: Shock Force is a Family within the Modern Epoch. This particular Family consists of Marines, British Forces, and NATO.

Each Family is a self contained group of products. You can purchase any Module you want and it will work with the base Game and other purchased Modules without any hiccups. You can not, however, mix and match stuff from one Family with another. For example, CM:SF 2 will contain a base Game with 2-4 Modules, none of which will work with CM:SF 1 and vice versa.

Normandy is the first Family release for the Western Front Epoch. The second Family will be Bulge. Currently we plan on having 3 Modules for each.

Normandy's base game has American forces against core Wehrmacht forces. 1st Module will have Commonwealth on one side, Waffen SS and FJ on the other. 2nd Module will cover Arnhem and will contain the forces necessary to fight those battles. 3rd Module will be a sort of mix-mosh of stuff not covered in the base Game or the first two Modules.

By the time the Normandy Family is complete, you should be able to recreate any battle within that timeframe. Well, within reason of course :D

Steve

Hope this answers the question.