How to Survive a 2000lb JDAM Hit

Hmm strange, do exploding vehicles not damage troops then?

Secondary explosions certainly do - I've lost men to 'cooking off' explosions in the past. But I can't say I've ever lost anyone in the vicinity of a vehicle taking a direct hit (not that it's a common occurrence).

Alan8235,

Good catch. Interesting that it hasn't been seen before. Perhaps that's a new "low collateral", cellulose casing, inert fill, JDAM? ;)

(For the unitiated, the USAF and USN are developing and procuring low collateral damage versions of the 250lb and 500lb bombs. The casing is non-metallic; splinters fly, explosions are predictable. The fill is a denser explosive. (They need to keep the bomb weight and cg the same as the metal cased bombs for separation and ballistic reasons.) The explosive, though heavier, is less dynamic - on purpose. It's a "tuned" boom.)

Ken

Do they even need any explosive? A 2000lb solid "bomb" would do a lot of damage falling from 15,000ft. Probably would go right trough a house or vehicle with no collateral damage.

Back on topic, I've seen this before, but it was with an RPG so I didn't think much of it.

Any size Fixed wing aircraft that makes a direct hit on a vehicle target will NOT cause casualties to near by infantry. A near miss to a vehicle target does create infantry casualties and may kill the vehicle, too. I have yet to test Helos. This has been reported as a bug so BFC is aware. Good Catch!

Yeah Mark is correct. If the JDAM missed the BMP by just an inch, everyone would be dead. It's not too hard to confirm. Just make a quick firing range-like scenario with one Blue JTAC team and one F-15 (hvy) and set up a stationary Red vehicle with troops around it and call a point strike on the vehicle.

Its more simply - my opinion

In the first versions of game - artillery barrage and all the explosions were mach damage. Particularly offensive were to die, probably blue soldiers, from some ridiculous 82-mm mortar, which could put the Syrian FO, successful hit RPG and IED explosions.

I remember there were many lances broken - that the right thing to do and how much should be damage. In version 1.11 and further-damage from the explosions has been reduced and enough to understand - in the simulation to make a general lowering of the coefficient, but not entirely detalizeted revised losses of pounds of explosives.

Now RPG rockets kill reluctantly, a little damage from IEDs - in exchange from 2000LB now also a few sense.