Elite reinforcements

In the original SC one could use elite reinforcements to avoid diluting the experience of a unit. It appears to me that in this version (1.0) I can only apply elite reinforcements to a unit that is at level 10 and still has enough experience. If the unit was whacked down to 5 and I apply standard reinforcements, the unit loses a lot of experience, so I am almost never going to get those uber units (which are really fun). Is this a bug, a new design philosophy, or am I missing something here?

I liked the old way of adding elite any time (think panzer general), but if you think about it, it really does not make sence. Losses create disorganized chaos no matter. New men, coming in, who don't know you, etc. I think a unit that takes, like your example, 50% losses is going to lose experiance, and should.

I think this way is more realistic.

Well if longevity makes me a commentor with credibility then let me say it depends mostly on that unit's position and the degree of threat that it could be lost. Many times units with 3 experience take no casualties when soaking off entrenchment levels, leave them at 5 or 6 but be wary of their deployment.

Units with low strength are great for partisan control if you are MPP short, its just like most everything else in SC, it depends on the circumstances, at least as far as this parameter, there is no "rule of thumb".

• 3 weeks later...

I always turn off the flags for experience and play with the numbers instead, this way I know how much experience I'm losing when reinforcing a unit.

I usually don't reinforce them above 8 strength in order not to lose too much experience, it also depends if experience goes below a whole number, taking into account that in each combat a unit gains at least .2 experience.

I always turn off the flags for experience and play with the numbers instead, this way I know how much experience I'm losing when reinforcing a unit.

I usually don't reinforce them above 8 strength in order not to lose too much experience, it also depends if experience goes below a whole number, taking into account that in each combat a unit gains at least .2 experience.

Dude! Thanx. I have played all the SC games except pacific and never caught on to this!

I like deciding early on which units will be my vets. I coddle them and give them the easy fights, pit them against HQs and pit land units against air units. This makes sure that they won't lose units and be able to Elite Reinforce ASAP.

I then reinforce to 11 after a major win, like the surrender France for example with Axis. After this I try not to allow them to hit 9 before they get two stars and then get them up to 12. Once they're at twelve the exp. accrues a lot easier. Then in late game once your tech is up you've an unstoppable unit.

For some units at the start of the game you're already given an exp. bonus, these are easy ones to appoint as your pre-destined long term vets.

You're welcome david1...6.

Gypsy you're totally right, better reinforce above 10 and let the unit rest for a turn rather than commit it to an attack where it can lose strength and then experience once you reinforce it. This is the ideal but some times you just need those units to hold the line, it could also be not just one turn but two, one to withdraw and not have any units adjacent and one to reinforce. This reminds me of the role played by the SS pz div in Russia from the summer 43 onwards, they were just needed everywhere.

You're welcome david1...6.

Gypsy you're totally right, better reinforce above 10 and let the unit rest for a turn rather than commit it to an attack where it can lose strength and then experience once you reinforce it. This is the ideal but some times you just need those units to hold the line, it could also be not just one turn but two, one to withdraw and not have any units adjacent and one to reinforce. This reminds me of the role played by the SS pz div in Russia from the summer 43 onwards, they were just needed everywhere.

In a bogged down Russia for example yes it becomes difficult to commit a unit to being a veteran unit, that constantly gets reinforced. It's all about trade offs and long term goals in the end.

Having one super exp. panzer unit that can plow through a city is a huge aid I've discovered, and of course tac. bombers too.