Mission generator

I'm having trouble trouble with the misson generator. It doesn't matter which type of battalion I choose (tank, inf, motorised) etc, A different battalion appears, Arty instead of tank, tank instead of inf. etc. It appears to be stuck on random.

I haven't tried it myself but if you choose an armour OOB you may still get some infantry - unless it is 'armour only' - I don't how the game determines this. It's the same with other regiments, they may still field some infantry and light weapons in support roles. This was historically accurate, and especially so as the war progressed and elite armour units became somewhat of a rarity. Problem you have with this game is the narrow field of vision it offers in terms of units - you basically have at your disposal a 'battlegroup' which is by default made up of a varying array of mixed units and I'm not sure if you can change these in user generated 'quick battles'? You only have a few 'slots' allocated which is a bit of a shame. I think it does the best job it can under the circumstances. If you want to see accurate (as possible) OOB's then you really need to stick with Combat Mission. I'm hoping the Normandy game will feature (or possibly as an addon anyway) a pretty decent generator.

In my opinion, these type of games lose scale as they become more detailed :( I don't think we will ever see the depth of scale seen in CMBO/CMBB and CMAK again!

Phil: I chose armor and got ALL infantry. Someone said it was because of what was chosen on the previous mission generated. That shouldn't have anything to do with the current mission being generated. The first time I used the mission generator I chose armor and got all tanks. It was very cool. After that I chose armor again and kept getting infantry and no tanks. No arty either. I exited the game and went back in and got an armor selection.

But that trick only worked once. After that it was back to all infantry. Heck, if I could have gotten a mix of armor-infantry (aka Panzergrenadiers) I would have been a happy camper. But the generator insisted on giving me all infantry.

This happened to me (getting all inf when selecting Tank Bn for both sides) but only the first time I used the MG.

Next time and every time thereafter I could select from a variety of tanks and arm vehicles and inf. So far.........

Yup, it's totally buggered for me too! Ridiculously so. I selected tank battalion, vets, and specifed weather, map etc. I was given 4050 points, with 4 tank slots the rest were infantry, and armoured cars plus a couple of mixed filters. I tried it again, exactly the same settings, and was given 650 points to spend with 1 armour slot!! It's plain not working. I don't think I've ever seen a new release with as many bugs!!

This is the "fix" that Sneaksie posted in the bugs area. Didn't make any sense to me when I read it. I don't save generated missions, I play them to completion. I tried changing the parameters and that didn't help either. And I don't think it has anything to do with the "campaign" comments.

The mission generator works all by itself with no realtionship to any campaigns.

Make sure that you can save anything... maybe it's the same old mission with all parameters set to random gets loaded again and again. You don't need to create the new campaign, just select 'single missions' campaign and enter a new name for the scenario.

When you create a scenario, it will be saved prior to launching even if you click 'launch' instead of 'save', so if you don't alter it's default name it's the same scenario being overwritten again and again (and if the game has no write access rights, you'll end up plyaing a mission you've created sometimes ago).

When you create a scenario, it will be saved prior to launching even if you click 'launch' instead of 'save', so if you don't alter it's default name it's the same scenario being overwritten again and again (and if the game has no write access rights, you'll end up plyaing a mission you've created sometimes ago).

Nope. I ALWAYS play with armor as my choice for ANY mission. If what you say is true I should be playing armor missions over and over again. But I'm not. I am getting infantry missions over and over again. I never ever chose infantry to play. It's the game choosing it and not me.

I hate this fixed slot idea, in my opinion the slots should be open to all types of units and it is up to the player what he choses to take into battle.

We need a free slots mod to get rid of this unwanted feature.

AL

+1 to that, great idea. Although I can see why 1C have gone down this route. One, it's a tad more historically accurate to operate with a mixed force, and two, it's more balanced against the AI. But the whole idea of 'battlegroups' needs working on. Because you are so limited with the force make-up you should be given as much freedom as possible. So open slots is a real winner.