The Request Section

Playing the game and no complaints. At all. But still, the forum is here to provide feedback, and here is some.

1) I would like...to be able to see the MMP screen longer, relative to what was provided, or created, or earned. I would like if that screen stayed on until I click it, somewhat similar to the options and news screens. (I'm trying to get a read on all the income that Britain is receiving...)

2) This game moves fast. Action fast. I'm not asking to slow it down, as I see that the result of haste makes the AI work faster. But I will say, the action does go fast.

3) There is no three. Just having fun. And alot of it. My wife isn't speaking to me right now. And that is very fine. I'm busy.

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game :)

1) I can look into this but it is a bit tricky as most of these end of turn screens are pre-set to close down automatically and I might be opening a can of worms if I change the functionality after so many releases. An easier change might be just to double the length of display time.

2) This can be edited by going into the SETTINGS dialog and toggling the 'Quick AI Animation' option.

3) Great to hear, I think? ;)

Hubert

I don't know if it is a general problem or if it happens just in my case, but when I try to save in Editor a modified version of "1939 World at War" with a new name, the procedure freezes after a while, during the checking of scripts. I would be grateful for some help.

It will take a while because there are a lot of scripts, and it may well appear to freeze for a few minutes while checking them, but in my experience this is quite normal and if you give it a bit longer it should then save the file. It's best to just let it do what it's got to do for a few minutes.

I'll reiterate what Bill has just suggested, give it a lot of time especially if the system decides it needs to recheck all the scripts, this is essentially the equivalent of recompiling the entire campaign. Try letting it running its course and it will eventually return control back to you when it is done.

Hubert

There really needs to be a diplomacy penalty levied against the British every time they interdict the Norwegian shipping lane (before Norway is in the war of course). Of course the cheating little bastards are actually trying to get to my subs, but still...

I also am suspicious of the lvl 3 cap on German sub tech. Considering that they start with lvl 1, they can easily reach 3 within the first year or two. My guess is that lvl 5 subs are pretty much unstoppable, so they were nerfed down to 3 for that reason.

Hi John,

If memory serves I believe only the AI can interdict the Norwegian shipping lanes (without penalty) as a bit of a helper to the AI, otherwise for a Human Allied player, in either multiplayer mode or against the Axis AI there is of course a warning and penalty levied.

Hubert

The Allies can interdict the convoy route but as we've seen at some cost. It's a strong deterrent.

There is a decision event during the game which allows the Germans to change the convoy route so that it isn't quite so exposed, and if the Royal Navy is free in the long term to interdict that route then both the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe are doing something wrong.

It is a complex game. Now. And that is good. Very good.

I'm remembering SC 1. That was complex too. For it's time. But we are all so much smarter now. And that is good. Very good. (and I'm more polite!)

There is Huge replay value here.

Stepping back a bit, I remember some computer games would keep me up til Sunrise. SC 1 did. SC2 did, and does. And now, well there is this. It is good. Very good.

Anyone ever see that movie Sleepless in Seattle. I'm sleepless in Seattle, but for better reasons. To my mind, at least.

I'm tagging on this message, as I don't want to start a new Thread. And that's not bad.

Are scripted events randomly generated? I tried a couple of turns when first playing the game to get a quick feel, and upon taking poland had an option not to stick to the Nazi-Soviet Pact and instead take all of poland. In 3 more starts as the axis this option has not appeared again. Are there lots of such moments built in? Dont want to ruin my surprise by digging into the editor, so just wondering aloud how it works.

One feature I think would be extremely useful to have with Global Conflict is another check box on the options menu to toggle on/off Movement restrictions (i.e. Mountains, Rivers). This would allow the game to open up a bit strategy wise, and focus less on strategic roads especially through countries such as China. I'm not sure if it could be patched in or not, but it seems simple enough. I also know you can do this via editor, but it would be a handy option to have when choosing your pregame options prior to beginning a campaign.

One feature I think would be extremely useful to have with Global Conflict is another check box on the options menu to toggle on/off Movement restrictions (i.e. Mountains, Rivers). This would allow the game to open up a bit strategy wise, and focus less on strategic roads especially through countries such as China. I'm not sure if it could be patched in or not, but it seems simple enough. I also know you can do this via editor, but it would be a handy option to have when choosing your pregame options prior to beginning a campaign.

Off hand I'd have to say that this would not be likely only since it is hard enough to script an efficient AI as it is... and if the AI would then have to handle wholesale changes to the map's movement rules with a flick of a switch I don't think it would deal well with this at all and this is problematic when it comes to adding official options such as these in game.

That being said though, if you use the Editor it is easy enough to create a custom campaign where you can edit these movement penalty values to 0 and then it would change the campaign to how you described above.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Longstanding wish that I'll bring up once again.

I'd like to get some of the data out of the hardcoded .exe and into some config files. The #1 aim here would be to have virtually full freedom to modify unit types; using a simple (?) matrix/list of options in a config file, I could modify say the artillery slot into another ship type (e.g. PT boat), with full choice of which techs would apply to which stats. To help the AI you would have several general categories of units (so that it knows what to do with them)-infantry, armor, fighters, bombers, subs, surface ships, anti-sub, CVs. Games like rFactor, Civilization, and Silent Hunter get a lot of mileage out of such schemes, allowing the modders to come up with tons of unique content.