Time during WW2

Sergei

What time did different armies set their watches by during WW2? Obviously this is a critical question for large operations that are supposed to be well synchronized. So far I've found out the following:

* from 1942 to 1945 the US used year round daylight saving time, aka. war time, but the act only really covered continental USA, so I don't know what time was used by the military operating overseas? I suppose in Europe they used British time?

* Britain used double summer time from 1940 to 1945, meaning they kept the summer time of 1940 (UTC+1) as the winter of 1940 came and then added a further hour during the following summers. Same question as above.

* Germans followed Berlin time (UTC+1) everywhere they went. In 1940 they switched to DST.

* Soviets had "Decree Time", which moved all time zones one hour ahead of standard time permanently since 1930 and no DST until 1980's. It would seem like Moscow time (UTC+3) was used for all the Soviet territories where Germans advanced, but what time was used in the Far East is a mystery to me - logically it should be UTC+9 or UTC+10 depending on location. But I don't expect logic to apply.

* Finland (UTC+2) tried DST briefly in 1942

* Japanese occupied territories adopted Japanese standard time (UTC+9), with no DST

So when Barbarossa commenced, it was 3:15 in London and Berlin and 4:15 in Moscow, but outside daylight saving, Moscow was two hours ahead of Berlin?

* from 1942 to 1945 the US used year round daylight saving time, aka. war time...

But remember, the US as it was comprised at the time covered four time zones.

...I don't know what time was used by the military operating overseas? I suppose in Europe they used British time?

I think in the Pacific ships and troops used local time. I.e., for every 15° longitude they traveled, they adjusted their watches one hour. From the accounts I have read, it would appear that they only used ST and not DST. I expect that any US forces in Australia would have used whatever the Australians used.

Michael

But remember, the US as it was comprised at the time covered four time zones.

Although wasn't continental USA five zones (Alaska, Pacific, Mountain, Central and Eastern standard times)? But there wasn't fighting in continental USA in any case...

If the navy adjusted their clocks as they sailed the sea then I can imagine the coordination of naval operations to be prone to some confusion when operating near edges of time zones, especially when dealing with long distance bomber operations and the like.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

So, Co-ordinated Universal Time is not known by its initials as then it would be CUT. Instead we switch them round in some apparently random fashion (but really to stop the Frogs from getting stroppy) to get to UTC when for all practical purposes we are talking about GMT (aka Zulu).

Sometimes, I really feel I am getting too old.

Although wasn't continental USA five zones (Alaska, Pacific, Mountain, Central and Eastern standard times)?

Alaska wasn't a state then, darling. However, forces were stationed and fought there, so it's reasonable to mention it in that way.

But there wasn't fighting in continental USA in any case...

Except the usual inter-service rivalries...which were bloody enough.

If the navy adjusted their clocks as they sailed the sea then I can imagine the coordination of naval operations to be prone to some confusion when operating near edges of time zones, especially when dealing with long distance bomber operations and the like.

I think aircraft stayed with whatever time their base was using. If a fleet or task force crossed the limits of a time zone, they would all change their clocks at some agreed moment or at a signal from the flagship.

In fact though in a case like the reporting of the Battle of Midway, which raged not only across the edge of a time zone, but also across the International Date Line, it's been a headache for historians to work out exactly what sequence events occurred in. Especially as the IJN was using Tokyo time and date.

Michael

Thank you, Gentlemen.

So, Co-ordinated Universal Time is not known by its initials as then it would be CUT. Instead we switch them round in some apparently random fashion (but really to stop the Frogs from getting stroppy) to get to UTC when for all practical purposes we are talking about GMT (aka Zulu).

Sometimes, I really feel I am getting too old.

As a Southern Hemisphere resident, I'm for calling it Co-ordinated Universal Northern Time. That would at least point out the northern hemisphere chauvanism inherent in the concept.

US Fleets operated on GMT, USAAF operations orders were cut in GMT. Just look at the 'date time group' on the transcripts of the messages,Year/month/day/ time. "Local time," matters not much to a fleet at sea, except for sunrise/sunset, which was presented in GMT as part of the aerology report prepared daily.