Some of the best WW2 Film Footage

bowen42

Also why is the labeling of it as German footage wrong? except for a few questionable bits it seemed German.

I'm going to assume the "German cameraman" didn't ninja-film Brits receiving artillery fire (0:31). And there are several other bits that are not filmed from a German POV.

So except for the bits that aren't German, yeah, it's German. :D

Probably mirrored as I don't think there are left handed K98s. Not that I know of anyway.

Also why is the labeling of it as German footage wrong? except for a few questionable bits it seemed German.

Some of it I recognised (having recently watched the "World at War" episode on Stalingrad) as footage presented there as Russian footage from the Stalingrad fighting, such as the Russian soldiers pulling a German prisoner from the rubble and giving him a kick for good measure (as the WaW ep had it).

Apart from a few sequences that seem new most of this is colourised footage that I've seen seen before in b&w. Unless some forgotten reels are found somewhere I doubt we'll ever see any new WW2 footage. Thanks for the link but Bowen42.

I found this site a while back and thought it was quite unique, the pic of the smoke rising from the battle below was an interesting new perspective and made me think about what the defenders of Bastogne must have been going through. Does anyone know what the different parachute colours signify?

http://www.506infantry.org/his2ndbnwwiiarticle08.html

I found a Dutch site a few years ago that had a sound recording on it of a british correspondant on the ground in the Arnhem area as the paratroops were decending, he was describing the air drop and you could hear the German flak guns in the background. Unfortunately i've never been able to locate that amazing bit of audio again.

I found a Dutch site a few years ago that had a sound recording on it of a british correspondant on the ground in the Arnhem area as the paratroops were decending, he was describing the air drop and you could hear the German flak guns in the background. Unfortunately i've never been able to locate that amazing bit of audio again.

I remembered something similar as well, but off course couldn't find a link either (did remove a bunch of dead links in the process ;-)) . I googled a bit and found these sound clips anyway. (You might need to enter a captcha to listen to them).

1944-09-17 BBC Montgomery Addresses His Troops.mp3

1944-09-17 CBS Edward Murrow Counts Parachutes In Holland.mp3

1944-09-20 CAN Stanley Maxted Cut Off With Airborne.mp3

1944-09-20 CAN Stanley Maxted Reports As Supplies Drop Over Hartenstein.mp3

I found these (along with a whole bunch of other sound clips) on this page, now linked only in Google's cache : here.