Any way to mod point limit in QBs?

Oh cmon, you've never wanted to have a QB with 30-40 tanks per side and three or four infantry battalions :)?

Do a search for a scenario called "To the Volga". It might be the answer to all your prayers. Anyway, it might show you why that isn't normally done in CM. CM is really in the wrong scale for a battle that big. Something that size needs for the units to be at least platoon-sized. Maybe the tiles should be in the range of 50-100 meters across too.

Michael

Do a search for a scenario called "To the Volga". It might be the answer to all your prayers. Anyway, it might show you why that isn't normally done in CM. CM is really in the wrong scale for a battle that big. Something that size needs for the units to be at least platoon-sized. Maybe the tiles should be in the range of 50-100 meters across too.

In the Onion Wars, we had a battle with about 25,000 points (combined). A lot of it in tanks, so there were probably not as many units than in ToTheV, but if you're playing a really good PBEM, it's worth the computing time.

There are a lot of good scenarios with combined points of 13000plus. Mind you I know of some complete dogs with 10000 plus also. The point to bear in mind is that an infantyr strong 5000 is a nightmare but in tanky terms it could be great. After all elite tanks - even the humble Churchill 95mm can be 350 points so ten of them and some infantry is 5000. If you go for wooded then look forward to moving 3 battalions of infantry - absolute nightmare. Infantry is badly modelled in the CM series in comparison to the tanks so why anyone plays to the weaker arm has always been a mystery to me. There is aparticulalry good example of this called Gates of Hell.

It's too bad you can't input your own point limits per category on QB's.

I worked out a solution to that problem. Unfortunately, I don't think many people would find it useful. Since I am not at all interested in competitive play, what I did was set large point limits and then choose the forces for both sides. I would not in the normal run of things use up all the points for either side, but having such a large allowance gave me a lot of freedom in mixing and matching units. This combined the flexibility of scenario creation with the handiness of quick battle.

Playing against the AI it worked just fine. Against a human opponent I suppose it would be regarded as cheating. You could ameliorate the effects of the latter case somewhat by having one player choose the units and the other pick the side of the finished design. The designer would still have an advantage of knowing what units were in the game, but there would be less temptation to "load up" one side's forces.

Michael

Have a referee.

Both players should give him their "10 000 points" wish list.

The ref creates a QB, buys for 5 000 points, Then save the game. Then launch another QB and load the saved game map, import the troops and buy another 5 000 points.

Or he might even do this within the scen. editor.

If you got a third guy there, this is easy stuff... ! :)

• 2 weeks later...
And all the sounds!

Not much point in jacking up the QB pts to 10,000 unless of course you want the turns to take hours to compute. Not to mention the 1-2 FPS you'd get with that many units, an unplayable mess IMO.

Back in the day, there was a thread that asked people to post the time and computer parameters for turn 1 of To the Volga. It was playable then and that was 2 computer upgrades ago for me.