Campaign Pbem

woo, that is good news.

What are the possibilities for having a dynamic PBEMable compaign? Is it possible to set conditions in the first scenario that depending on the action would change things in the next scenario?

If forces carry on from the first all the way through then it could force players to be more caring about their pixel forces.

Looking forward to your first designed-for-PBEM campaign, Lethaface.

Looking forward to your first designed-for-PBEM campaign, Lethaface.

Unfortunately I'm not preparing a H2H campaign, I meant i'm setting up a h2h campaign battle with a friend :)

It is just that it seems this is possible since quite some time but I haven't noticed it before. I thought there might be others unaware. Files are quite large (40mb) so actual E-mailing the files is impossible, but there are other ways to transport files.

Unfortunately I'm not preparing a H2H campaign, I meant i'm setting up a h2h campaign battle with a friend :)

Oh gee, and here was I thinking you were getting stuck into the development of the second (?) designed for PBEM campaign.

Anyway, keep us informed with how it goes. For a start, 40 Mb files? Ouch! Which campaign are you setting up? What size is the scenario itself? Anything else you notice different to PBEMing a scenario?

Currently I am 'setting up' the GeorgeMC 'Forging Steel' campaign, after an error with the USMC H2H campaign.

The error was hopefully just coincidently; After starting the campaign the game didn't ask me for a password. Only after I got it back from my opponent I had to give a password and then send it back directly. It seemed it skipped setting the password the first time. When my opponent received my second file (only password) it crashed during loading of my opponent. I guess the game expected my forces were setup and just borked out. I tried the file myself and it also crashed.

Then, frustrated after awaiting 3x 40mb uploads for nothing, I tried the GeorgeMC campaign and noticed it asked for a password directly. So far so good although there haven't been any turns yet. I am about to setup my forces :)

However I tried to restart the USMC h2h campaign and then it did ask for a password directly. So I hope this error won't always happen!

Since I have 20/1 mbit internet, uploading 40mb isn't too fast :(

By the way, the files of the Forging Steel campaign are less large, although still a good 30 mb.

Ill let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Unfortunately GeorgeMC's campaign just gave me the same error while loading :(

JonS, have you successfully played a H2H campaign using PBEM?

Wouldnt playing the whole campaign H2H be dire and even more one sided? They are meant to be single player after all

Surely you can design a two player campaign that isn't one sided. Give both sides some core units and auxiliary forces in each scenario in case the core units get slapped, and reasonable reinforcement levels.

Surely you can design a two player campaign that isn't one sided. Give both sides some core units and auxiliary forces in each scenario in case the core units get slapped, and reasonable reinforcement levels.

I was indeed thinking of the stock campaigns there.

However, the more I think about your statement, the more I dont know.

1. Can you actually design a Campaign for H2H rather than play one designed for single player H2H? Can you have two core units? Can you have differing campaign objectives for each player and, how would that work out?

2. Leading on from above, surely a campaign is just that, an attempt to play using some core units through a series of scenarios within the mission parameters given. If you had two core units surely you would need twice as many maps etc.

I do however, find the whole concept very interesting as it throws up so many possibilities for H2H, for one, you wouldnt have a clue what the next mission would be, whether you would be advancing or defending etc....

GSX, your questions are a bit confusing, since most of them appear to be self evident.

1. Can you actually design a Campaign for H2H rather than play one designed for single player H2H?

Sure, why wouldn't you be able to? :confused:

Can you have two core units?

Of course. In fact, AFAIK all the stock campaigns make use of core units for both red and blue (although the Red core is only used for a couple of consecutive battles, rather than throughout)

Can you have differing campaign objectives for each player and, how would that work out?

Sure, and one player would probably more successful at meeting their objectives and therefore 'win'. Otherwise they 'draw'.

2. Leading on from above, surely a campaign is just that, an attempt to play using some core units through a series of scenarios within the mission parameters given. If you had two core units surely you would need twice as many maps etc.

Why? Step 1: I have a Core battalion, you have a Core battalion. Step 2: We go at it like $5 hookers on the night the navy gets in, over one or more battles. Step 3: We see see who comes out better off.

I do however, find the whole concept very interesting as it throws up so many possibilities for H2H, for one, you wouldnt have a clue what the next mission would be, whether you would be advancing or defending etc....

Well, that's all quite possible in campaigns now, so the addition of another active player is incidental to that.

Am I missing something? :confused:

In my understanding it is even possible to create a campaign with different battles depending on which side wins. So it is possible to create a campaign 'evenly' focused on Red or Blue. Not that there are any campaigns like that now, but still I think it would be fun to try one existing campaign out in H2H, apart from fairness of results.

However, unfortunately, all of my campaign PBEM games seem to suffer from a fatal error before any turn has actually been played. :(

I'll try to play one against myself a few times to see if it works at all.

@JonS,

Could it be that you mean that only "hotseat", but not "PBEM" (as selected in the interface), can be played?

I am only able to select PBEM campaign after touching the difficulty 'select field'. That is also possible for the vanilla campaign. Your H2H campaign however is directly playable using "hotseat", but PBEM is still only available after the 'UI hack'. I thought it was just a problem in the UI, but perhaps I am doing something that actually isn't possible?

In my understanding it is even possible to create a campaign with different battles depending on which side wins. So it is possible to create a campaign 'evenly' focused on Red or Blue.

Well, 'even' is in the eye of the beholder, but yeah, sure. Why would you not be able to? :confused: At the limit, you could create a series of mirrored maps and have identical Core forces for both sides (sort of like a chess game).

One of the basic premises of the campaign system is that the results of one battle be reflected in the next. As part of this the campaign designer sets a threshold for each battle that defines what one side has to do to take the 'win' branch following a battle. If that player doesn't win, then the other player does. It matters not whether you're playing the AI or a hooman, the same logic applies.

Could it be that you mean that only "hotseat", but not "PBEM" (as selected in the interface), can be played?

I don't know.

Edit: when I 'created' the USMC H2H campaign I simply modified the scens a little to create *very* basic Red briefings and maps (I may have adjusted some of the set up zones a little too - I don't recall), then re-compiled the campaign to allow for H2H. That's *all* I did.

JonS,

That comment was therefore directed at those which didn't understand the H2H playability of campaigns :)

A campaign could very well be constructed in a larger area, spanning multiple scenario's. I'm not sure about the limitations of 'core' units but the possibilities seem very interesting.

Which brings me upon the sad reality... After trying PBEM campaigns with myself just now, they all crashed upon loading the first turn... :(

Now that I think of it; Hotseat does work and might even be used for 'exchanging file games'?

I'll check it out.

EDIT: Unfortunately and logically hotseat is only suited for play on 1 PC (chair). PBEM campaign is (somehow, UI hack) selectable and does work untill the first 'real' turn. I hope Steve or anyone can shed some light on this, whether it is supposed to be possible at the moment.

In my eyes a PBEM focused campaign would be very interesting though. Let's say 1 US Army division against 2 Syrian Divisions, duking it out over 10 battles. It could still be quite good depicted if core forces are not as big as the full force. Depending who wins certain assets could be available to certain sides, apart from the core forces. Since all functionality is there at the moment?, fixing the save games shouldn't be too much work? :)

@JonS,

I am only able to select PBEM campaign after touching the difficulty 'select field'. That is also possible for the vanilla campaign. Your H2H campaign however is directly playable using "hotseat", but PBEM is still only available after the 'UI hack'. I thought it was just a problem in the UI, but perhaps I am doing something that actually isn't possible?

I think PBEM campaign is not a new feature, but a bug in the menu.

I have try Marines Campaign H2H and CMSF CTD, when i load a 004 file.