diamond viper v770 problems

proly not due to CM but wanted to know if someone else experienced this.

when CM has been idle for a while (like when I go and do some tech support for a while (yes I get to play CM while working)) esp if it has been backgrounded for a short time (press 'esc')

the graphics come up funky. the terrain looks like a grid of triangles with every other triangle transparent and either showing green or my desktop. and the other every triangle flahes back and forth.

I can still save game, exit, etc. albeit very slow to respone to mouse/kb actions.

any ideas.

btw I am using the reference drivers from nvidia which i loaded to get another game working.

Well, probably not much of a solution, but try disabling other programs running in the background. Especially Outlook Express. My computer locks up when I have them both running (I have the same card and drivers as you have), I've heard of another occasion, where the problem you mentioned was also described, also involving OE.

It's probably just best to close the game when you're gonna do other stuff, and start it up again when you need it. Doesn't take that long! smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Guest MantaRay

More info needed Witt. CPU, driver version of Video Card, How much Ram, Your checking account number and or Visa #, what resolution you are in...blah blah blah.

Well all that except for the account info. smile.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

After nuking nvida's and reinstalling diamond's drivers my previous problem has not returned. Although I am also not letting CM be idle, etc.

I have another problem that is becomming very common.

My mouse keeps locking up I have use of the keyboard but the mouse stops moving and even after I kill CM my mouse will not unlock.

I really thing it is graphics/DX related since it has started to happen All the time like every 5 min or so. AND ONLY in 3d DirectX games.

I am running win98 proly NOT second edition. with all sorts of 'windows updates'

I check memory usage but nothing seems to be leaking.

Nothing else is running.

DX version is which does not seem to be 7a but when trying to patch 7-->7a the patch reports that a higher version of DX is installed.

I've installed and reinstalled so many different video drivers and bits and pieces of junk from MS I think I might have to Format C: and start with a clean install. MS's 'innovation' forces me to do this about once every 6 months.

WORD to the WISE:

Do not use MS automatic windows update 'innovation'. Every time i installed some fix or security patch my system got a little more wonky and or slower.

my sincere request for CM 2.0: a linux port. http://sunsite.auc.dk/lgdc//index.php3 http://happypenguin.org/ http://www.linuxgames.com/

well I nuked my whole system installed fresh win98 2nd edition

directx 7.0a

CM

CM patch

It worked for about 1 hour now I get the mouse lock up again.

I am Very, Very Sad. I'm really kickin brit butt in Wittman Op and hate to have to reboot my machine every 4-5min :(

I think it started with the patch the first time.

BTW I can still move the cursor by using Windows Accessability features and the number pad. So, I can always save my game.

Anyone have any ideas?

I will, eventually, play some other games and see if the problem is specific to CM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wittmann:

Sorry..shoulda known by now :-0

PII 450 , 128Mb ram , Detonator353 drivers(diamonds version) Direct-x 7.0

This could be a very temporary problem, since I want a GeForce II<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diamond has a newer version than 353. They have 368 drivers which came out on 2/3/00.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Have you updated your mouse driver? Troubleshooting page in the manual talks about Intellimouse issues. I was getting total lockups on my computer and updated the following drivers and so far so good.

Diamond Viper v770D (the newest ones that are NOT Macrovision compatible)

Creative Soundblaster Live

Microsoft Intellimouse.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by forgotmypassword:

proly not due to CM but wanted to know if someone else experienced this.

when CM has been idle for a while (like when I go and do some tech support for a while (yes I get to play CM while working))<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I talked to you the other day. You're the one who told me to reboot into hull-down mode.

Guest Big Time Software

If it worked for an hour and then caused problems, I wonder if it's an overheating issue?

Do you have an overclocked CPU or graphics chip? If so, try lowering the speed back to normal.

Charle

Um, this machine is one that is not 'clocked.

And this is not my whole machine locking up just mouse movement+click Everything else works.

I am using a logitech trackman with the wheel. I had not installed special drivers for it. (Duh, its a mouse problem) I just downloaded the drivers and installed and some registry file that talks about making it work with games such as rougue spear and Quake (both 3d games)) maybe my lockups are when I accidently hit the wheel and that freaks out 3d/directX games. Will inastall and report back success later.

It seems intermittent but seemed to lockup when moving the trackball really fast (spinning it) faster than a mouse normally would go. I tried to avoid moving it fast and did not have it lock up through the whole 3 battle of Villers-Bocage. Maybee just coincidence.

Thanks for the support repsonses BTS and everyone else.

Wittmann, do you happen to have a Voodoo2 card in your machine alongside your Ultra? I've only heard of this prob occuring with V2 cards. AFAIK, this shouldn't happen with the NVidia cards, but I'm no expert on their cards. Your prob is described here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/005633.html

With my old V2, the neutral flag always appeared properly; it was the US and Ger flags that screwed up. Restarting the game helped to get rid of it (atleast for a while; but it always came back eventually).

If you *had* a V2 in your system but it's no longer there, then it may have a leftover strange D3D setting. You might try re-installing DX7 and then re-installing the Ultra drivers after that. Just a suggestion.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 06-22-2000).]

Thanks,wolfe....I do have a diamond monsterII

I'll remove it immediately...It was only there cos rogue spear doesn't like to play without it. If I uninst RS, then remove the 3dII, then reinst RS do you think it'll pick up the viper 770 properly then?

Long live combat mission!

Don't know anything about Rogue Spear. If it's a Glide-only game, then it won't run in 3D accelerated mode with your TNT2. If it supports another API (OpenGL or D3D), then it should run on the TNT2. Though if the game was developed with a 3dfx card in mind, it may not run as well on the NVidia card.

But instead of removing the V2, isn't there a checkbox in the V2 drivers to disable it's support for DirectX games? If so, then enabling this will allow your V2 to be used for OpenGL (and miniGL) and Glide games, while reserving D3D games for the TNT2.

Also, with Combat Mission specifically, if you delete the 'prefs' file in the main CM directory, this will force the game to re-detect your vid card. The first selections that come up should be 800x600 mode for the V2, then 640x480. But if you let it continue detecting, it should eventually get to the TNT2 card, and you can then set it to use the TNT2 instead of the V2. This would allow you to run CM on the TNT2 while continuing to use the V2 card for other D3D games. Though, frankly, I'd choose to disable the V2 for DirectX games and use the NVidia card instead.

Good luck.

- Chris

updated this card to latest release (368) from 2-13-00,and that cured most of my problems,especially slow,jerky scrolling on large unit battles and the freeze up's i was getting,on occasion...3 battles and no problems,also did a sound card driver update,to get rid of some strange sounds(echo)during games.