The latest ATI GPU release

It seems ATI has launched thier latest series of GPUs, the 5870 and the 5850. The reviews state that they perform well, with resonable prices. I currently have an ATI 4870, and from the reviews the 5870 is a considerable upgrade from a 4870.

I also suffer from the ATI driver crash and can only play cmsf on my laptop with an nvidia 8600m. I would like to do the upgrade, but in light of the ATI driver issues, how would this affect CMSF.

also reviews mentioned something about the 5870 supporting openCL, if CMSF uses openGL for graphics, does this cause conflict? I ask just for sake of knowledge, not really well schooled on this stuff.

OpenCL (Open Computing Language) enables a video card processor (GPU - Graphics Processing Unit) to act much like a CPU (Central Processing Unit). It's a programming API that allows certain programs to make use of the GPU's processing power to perform certain types of calculations.

OpenGL is the Open Graphics Library, which is the API that CMSF's graphics are programmed in.

The two are generally mutually exclusive, though if you had an OpenGL and an OpenCL program running at the same time it would slow down both applications (trying to share the GPU). An example of a program that could eventually be an OpenCL program would be Folding@Home - the Stanford University's distributed computing application that experiments with protein folding. It doesn't currently utilize OpenCL, but it may in the future.

ATI DOES HAVE A FIX IN THE WORKS for the OpenGL bug that CMSF experiences. We don't know when it will be released, but it is possible it may come out as soon as Catalyst 9.10. There is a ATI/AMD beta tester here on the forum and he's used a leaked driver that fixes the problem.

As far as I'm aware, the forthcoming fix should work equally for the latest Radeons (5870 & 5850). Although there have been on occasion problems that are unique to certain cores. However in the case of this bug, I believe that the fix that ATI eventually releases should fix it for all Radeons that can use that driver (i.e. - Radeons older than the X2100 series will not be able to use it).

• 2 weeks later...

This is disconcerting. Is this an issue that will effect all new gen ATI chipsets until there is the driver fix? Reason I ask, I am playing SF here on a laptop, with a DX10 ATI 4330 and it's working absolutely fine. None of these crashes! Admittedly this is using the Vista proprietory laptop driver, and not ATI's catalyst suite. But with the potential news that Nvidia are dropping their top-end graphics cards it would appear that most people who want to invest in new components will be forced to opt DX11 ATI. In fact, with the quality of the latest ATI cards, their low energy requirements and low noise I am half tempted to get one myself, but not if SF will crash!

I am still finding scenarios laggy with the Nvidia :(

This is a problem with the ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers since 9.4. We believe that ATI/AMD will release the Catalyst 9.10 drivers that will fix this issue (a certain OpenGL memory leak in texture data).

Any Radeon 9500 and newer can use up to the Catalyst 9.8 driver (a recent change for ATI which had stopped at 9.3 for earlier Radeons). Radeons 2400 and newer can use the newer drivers, which will include the 9.10's that will hopefully fix this issue.

Users of older Radeon video cards (9500 - HD 2100) can use the last known good driver for CMSF - Catalyst 9.3. That will be the newest driver that they can use for full CMSF compatibility.

The newest 5xxx series of Radeons will have this problem too until Catalyst 9.10 comes out, which again, we hope fixes this issue. Otherwise we may have to wait a bit longer for ATI/AMD to fix this issue.

Kawabonga - Does Catalyst 9.3 work at all for you ? What previous Catalyst driver were you using before upgrading to 9.10 ? As far as I'm aware the Demo should work the same as the full version since they're both based on 1.20 (for the moment).

Waycool beat me to it... uninstalling the Catalyst drivers (currently 9.10 for you now) and running a driver cleaner, like Driver Sweeper afterwards to clean up any potential registry or other DLL settings. Reboot and then install the Catalyst 9.10 drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

Traded in my old 8800GT for a brand new 4890, no issues whatsoever, no crashes, visual quality is excellent. This is with XP.

it also solved two annoying issues with Nvidia drivers:

#1. reflections on certain tanks at certain time rendered as a solid white stripe. This issue has been there forever in NVIDIA drivers, but is not there in catalyst 9.10. :)

#2. night lighting is screwed up in NVIDIA drivers 190xx and newer. Again, no issue with catalyst 9.10.

As an added bonus, CMBB is as nice on the 4890, since I now have FOG! I also noticed an improvement in visual quality, looking at open terrain at a medium/long distance on the 8800gt always had an annoying shimmering efect. That issue is not there with the 4890.

As a further added bonus, 4890/4870 cards are dirt cheap now that the 5800 series came out...:D