Lucas is at it again: Avatar

gunnergoz

I finally saw the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

I have to say that I am simultaneously excited about the film but at the same time a bit disappointed in the obvious CGI digital imagery aspect of it. I'm sure I will enjoy the experience, but it will have to be in the same way I enjoyed 300: not as a conventional film experience, but as something special unto itself.

The CGI technology has proven itself able to transport us to scenes otherwise difficult, if not impossible to capture through conventional cinematography. At the same time, the cartoon or anime nature of it, if deliberately selected and not just an artifact of the limits of technology, are a bit of a turn off to me. I am not an anime fan and limit my enjoyment of cartoons to Disney stuff. So if movie makers are doing this sort of blending of anime and "realistic", I'm not exactly sure I like the trend. Not because of the concept, but simply because, due to the "copycat effect", we will soon be inundated with anime-realism mish-mashes that do justice to neither school.

Why do you hate James Cameron?

Never heard of it, but looks like one to catch at the cinema. Visual feast. Don't know much about the story, but sci-fi and fantasy blurbs rarely reflect well on the full story so I'll give it a shot anyway, I think.

Thanks!

I don't hate him, where did you see me say that? I've enjoyed almost every movie of his that I've seen. My comments about Avatar is that it represents a trend towards anime-type films and away from realistic CGI films, IMO. That's the way the trailer struck me, even the HD version at 1080p...luscious, but still sort of stylized. I like the suspension of disbelief possible with more realistic renderings.

Well, now that you mention it, I did write Lucas instead of Cameron, didn't I? Oops, I REALLY screwed that up, for sure...sorry. But my comments remain. I like Cameron - and Lucas for that matter - but still don't like the anime-sort of trend I see in the making. I think its going to spoil some otherwise interesting projects.

Of course, one could argue that these projects might not get made without the anime aspect and potential audience. I concede that. I guess I just prefer more realism, even in sci-fi.

BTW is there any way dummy me can change the name of the thread now that I screwed up?

I don't hate him, where did you see me say that? I've enjoyed almost every movie of his that I've seen. My comments about Avatar is that it represents a trend towards anime-type films and away from realistic CGI films, IMO. That's the way the trailer struck me, even the HD version at 1080p...luscious, but still sort of stylized. I like the suspension of disbelief possible with more realistic renderings.

I agree, suspension of disbelief is an important part of making a good sci-fi, or fantasy. When I see these types of stylish animated movies, my first thought is "oh look another kids movie".

I guess I will go see it though, so I can cheer on the obviously 'evil' space marines. Space Marines rule!

Today being the next day and all I can now see why Elmar asked me why I hated James Cameron...to confuse him with Lucas is a slight to many; I have to admit that even I prefer Cameron's films to Lucas. But who knows what was going through my mind when I typo'd the thread title? A senior moment? Oh well, too late now but I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

But back on topic...checking out the Aint It Cool News site http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41793 it is clear from his viewing of the extended preview that the film is intended to be seen in 3-D, with those funky glasses. Apparently the glasses seem to work in the film because Cameron has optimized the colors, intensity and contrast to make the 3-D experience really pop out. He's also done some real work on making the visuals complement the 3-D.

So it could be that the "anime" aspect is an artifact of viewing a film optimized for 3-D, in 2-D. I'm not sure this is the case, but it could be an explanation, given the enthusiasm that the preview audiences have had for the 3-D experience.

I guess I'll have to wait and see this one in the theater later this year and can decide for myself. But will the home DVD versions be in 3-D? Can you even do that on a DVD? I suppose you can...now that I think of it, I some time ago had a documentary about A-bombs on VHS that was partly done in 3-D and included the little glasses in the case.

gunnergoz,

I saw what I thought was an exclusive trailer during the SyFy channel's Warehouse 13 episode called "Implosion," which aired Friday, I believe. You can see that one for yourself at the main site for the channel under "Episodes." It's around 40 minutes in. Was so blown away by it I promptly called a friend who's a big SF and James Cameron buff.

Regards,

John Kettler