BMP 2 Open up Comand

An interesting thing I noted about the BMPs in CM:SF is the crew is made up of a driver and gunner (just 2 blue dots). The BMP1/2 has a commander aswell and he seems to be drawn from the passengers in CM:SF, why is mystery (perhapse it's like that in reality).

Anyway the BMP1 just has the gunner in the turret, when you unbutton he pops out, but the BMP 2 has a the commander in the turret too and he's the one that pops out when unbuttoned. No passengers means no commander so no guy to pop out! The gunner will pop out to reload and aim the ATGM though.

The BMP1/2 has a commander aswell and he seems to be drawn from the passengers in CM:SF, why is mystery (perhapse it's like that in reality).

From what I understand, the team leader of troops onboard the vehicle functions as sort of an ad-hoc vehicle commander. I read it somewhere on FAS.org but I can't find the article right now, I'll have a look later.

Don't know about how it is implemented in-game but there are fundamental differences between the BMP-1 and BMP-2 in real life. The BMP-1 has a greater troop capacity and crew-wise there is a gunner and driver who sit in the front of the hull and the turret respectively. The 'commander' or what most people would call the squad leader sits behind the driver in the wagon. In the BMP-2 the setup is different, you have a two-man turret with a gunner and commander who is also the squad leader. All I know is the implementation of Warrior crews in the game where we have a similar situation - there was a compromise to get it to work - I suspect the same thing is going on with the BMP-2.

Just to echo what the above posters said, one of the big flaws found in the BMP-1 was that the commander can't see very much from his position behind the driver so he was moved to a bigger, two man turret on the BMP-2. This larger turret cuts down on passenger capacity though.

Unlike in western doctrine, the vehicle is actually part of the squad so the squad leader commands both the vehicle and the dismounts. When he gets out to fight he has to use flags or tracer rounds to continue to direct the vehicle which should be nearby providing fire support. The squad is so wedded to the vehicle that they might not even be issued backpacks! (I don't know how the Syrian army operates specifically compared to the Soviet army but they are very similar)