A question of trucks...

Having just spent the last few days playing the British Forces demo and falling in love with it i have been left with a few questions.

Firstly who can i rob to get the money for this?

Secondly, both the USMC and the US army have the MTVR and the and the LMTV respectively. Meanwhile the Brits have the TUM Landy and the syrians have nowt in this catagory. The British have the new MAN 4 or 8 tonne truck or even the older DAF (i'll be resonable and not ask for an old bedford) that comes with armour and a mounted machine gun. The syrians could easily have some big russian gaz job.

The other two got large trucks despite having the M998 HMMWV to fill the same role as the Wolf Landy. I know this has probably been done to death but it wont hurt. :P

P.s. Code them to be able to rearm vehicles! :D

I like trucks too but (and some one correct me if I'm wrong) so far they've only been included if they are part of a frontline unit. The USMC infantry actually is sometimes hauled around in trucks and the US Army forces in the game didn't have trucks until the IBCT was introduced which also hauls around infantry units in trucks at least until they're near the front. I think a case can be made for a Syrian truck but it hasn't been a high priority. I'm glad you mention it though as it shows a few of us actually do care about it.

As for the British army I imagine it would only be the Paras who would need trucks for frontline forces but I've never seen any mention of including them in the game.

I like trucks too but (and some one correct me if I'm wrong) so far they've only been included if they are part of a frontline unit. The USMC infantry actually is sometimes hauled around in trucks and the US Army forces in the game didn't have trucks until the IBCT was introduced which also hauls around infantry units in trucks at least until they're near the front. I think a case can be made for a Syrian truck but it hasn't been a high priority. I'm glad you mention it though as it shows a few of us actually do care about it.

As for the British army I imagine it would only be the Paras who would need trucks for frontline forces but I've never seen any mention of including them in the game.

Not having access to the editor for the new module i do not know how they organise the IBCT compared to a light role brit battalion. But having them all running around in Wolf's when the yanks run round in large trucks instead of HMMWV's seems strange. And as the syrians have a much larger proportion of its forces as foot infantry a large troop carrying vehicle seems like a useful thing. The US Army got the LMTV quite randomly (and i dont think anyone realy saw it coming) this time so i dont see it being such a huge leap to introduce these two vehicles in the next module.

JonS, I think your referring to the UAZ. Nifty little vehicle that will carry an entire Syrian Squad. In fact, the only reason a Ural would be more useful, than the UAZ, is for the extra ammo carrying capability. That, and troops can not currently dismount from a vehicle they are driving and move in the same turn.

The UAZ doesn't carry ammo and you would need loads of them to have some sort of transport. Right now Syrian infantry just can't move around and they would benefit from transport. Also the ammo capacity would be greatly appreciated, especially for user made scenarios where their experience is bumped up a bit so they don't die so much.

Finally, they would add a lot of atmosphere. Having trucks in destroyed convoys and military bases just makes sense. :) I can't think of any reasons why a fast moving campaign wouldn't come across Syrian trucks

More trucks would be cool. :) Convoys would be nice.

Ken

Sweet Jesus yes! I am so tried of my "convoys" wandering around the board after being told to drive in a straight line down a straight road. This is the only thing that really bugs me about CMSF. Even choosing them individually doesn't seem to help. They still wander around the board when they come under fire or just stop completely to get chewed up. I did an experiment with different experience drivers for trucks and it didn't change the fact that when they came under fire they would start making really bad choices. The only thing I noticed was the lower the experience the more likely the truck was to stop and the passenger die or bail out.

Lets remember for the most part when we say "trucks" we mean "targets". I'm reminded of tactical advice from WWII that U.S. half-tracks should stay 900m (1200m?) back from the front line - and those were armored! It seems Steve is only interested in trucks if they're used to haul infantry. Which also means we still need a decent Syrian truck for its infantry hauling capacity.

Lets remember for the most part when we say "trucks" we mean "targets". I'm reminded of tactical advice from WWII that U.S. half-tracks should stay 900m (1200m?) back from the front line - and those were armored! It seems Steve is only interested in trucks if they're used to haul infantry. Which also means we still need a decent Syrian truck for its infantry hauling capacity.

Well there's been hints, and let me emphasize only hints, that we'll get something new Red in the NATO module. My pet theory is that it'll be the 100mm Anti tank gun the Syrians have (IIRC) since they'll have Anti tank guns working fot the WWII game anyway and a truck to tow it. How's that for pure guesswork. :)

BTR is a bit of an armoured truck, when you think about it.

12.7mm (.50 cal) MG, same as an LMTV, and its armour is pretty paper thin. Holds a Syrian Squad and a bunch of ammo.

Anything lighter than that (like a GAZ) would just be a target, tbh.

EDIT - I lie. After actually looking in game...i see its a 14.5mm MG, and it has a 7.62 co-ax as well. Its armour is listed as large red Xs for almost everything, except for frontal 5.56 fire which gets...an orange dot. woo-hoo.

By contrast, the armoured MVTR has those dots for all directions on small calibre fire. The BTR could serve as an 8 wheeled "truck" for Red forces if so desired, basically.

The BTR-60PB is armed with a14.5mm Machine gun which carries significantly more punch than a .50 cal (Twice the energy apparently). It is almost a cannon in fact and can destroy light vehicles from the period such as the FV432 or M113.

Its role it more similar to a cheap BMP than a truck because they are designed to fight with the infantry rather than drop them off out of sight of enemy AT weapons. This means it is an IFV (Albeit a weak one) and not a truck.

A BTR-152 or BTR-60 (Old, rare version) are more like armoured trucks because they hold more troops and are not really expected to fight but they are obsolete everywhere and only equip bottom of the barrel units. It would be nice to have BTR-152's but even then, I would still like a truck :)

• 1 year later...

The 'problem' with he Brit module (from the developer standpoint) was that is was overloaded with transport. Uncounted landrover versions, wheeled armored recce, tracked armored recce, Warriors, bulldogs, FV234s, AT team transport, FO vehicles, command vehicles, etc. Simply from a game production standpoint there had to be a cutoff somewhere. Maybe they could've ditched the Sultan and supplied a truck, then you'd wonder where the Sultan is. :)

Battlefront wouldn't put a UK truck in the NATO module as they said they would never include content in a module that would require another module to use. So the end result is it's never going to happen. However let's be the first to start lobbying for a Brit truck in the Normandy Commonwealth module. They had one in CMAK after all!

However this makes me consider the modules in the Normandy line after the Commonwealth one; surely the Market-Garden and "Extra stuff" module will include Commonwealth units and equipment.

The 'problem' with he Brit module (from the developer standpoint) was that is was overloaded with transport. Uncounted landrover versions, wheeled armored recce, tracked armored recce, Warriors, bulldogs, FV234s, AT team transport, FO vehicles, command vehicles, etc. Simply from a game production standpoint there had to be a cutoff somewhere. Maybe they could've ditched the Sultan and supplied a truck, then you'd wonder where the Sultan is. :)

Exactly, it seemed a strange place to say stop, especialy with all the moaning weve been doing about the other forces not getting trucks!