Tracers

One thing I like about this community is that there is a mature approach to improving this great game. Its probably been mention before but I was wondering if there is any chance on seeing realistic tracers either in the next patch or the NATO module?

I know that there are various tracer mods out there and the modders have done an excellent job, that said the mods tracer effects are depicted eminating from all weapons on both sides. The result is an unrealistic light show. What I think would be a more atmospheric and realistic approach is to limit tracer effects (red, green) to just MG's and HMG's and maybe CAS. The benefits of this approach is that it would also improve the immersion factor of the game as well.

Riflemen (specifically squad/team commanders) tend to put the odd tracer round into their weapon, if available, as it allows them to give fire control orders based on "Watch my tracer". The majority of rifle rounds, however, are not tracer.

MGs usually work on a system of every 3rd round or every 5th round, depending on the weapon/the ammo available. So while its true to say the game probably has an unrealistic surplus of tracer, I'd prefer having it to not having it. Makes it much easier to see what your guys are aiming at, especially as you can't afford to babysit one unit the whole time and monitor what it decides to target.

It seems many of you have missunderstood my intial proposition. What I'am advocating is not reducing the tracers in the game but adding them but in a more realistic way. Tracers are primmarily used for observation of fire, incendiary effects, signaling, and for training in the real world, therefore Iam suggesting that this should also be reflected in CMSF.

For example the Red forces use the RPK series of machine gun which uses a green tracer (Bullet DESIGNATION of 57-T-231PM1). Likewise for the RPD and PK series of machine guns as well as the SVD and SVDS sniper rifles. These weapons all use 7.62mm green tracers. (TRACER BULLET DESIGNATION 7T2).

Whereas the Blue force uses weapons such as M60, M219, and M240 machine guns these weapons use an Orange tracer (Type Classification: CON - MSR 11756003) The modern M249 machine gun uses a red tracer (Type Classification: STD - AMCTC 5055) or an Orange tracer (Type Classification: STD - MSR 05826002). Finally the M2 and M85 series of heavy machine guns use an orange tracer (Type Classification: STD - OTCM 37107)

@Erwin.Rommel

I also think the current tracer effects are too long and the ones in CMBB or CMAK are much better

@ScubaSam

I also agree that squad and team leaders should also be allocated tracers for the "Watch my tracer" fire control order, this again is realistic which also should improve the immersion of the game.

So you think we should have realistic LMG and HMG tracer loadouts/colours, as well as rifle tracers for squad/team commanders?

Sounds like a fair bit of work putting all that in, but if BFC were willing to do it, well... its realistic, it adds to the immersion...so sounds good to me :D

This is the thing about all suggestions on these forums they will all take varying degrees of development time, talent and money to bring to about. Battlefront however is one of the few developers that listen to their target market and genuinely care about the quality of their products. I like many others are continuely amazed about how far the game has come since its initial release. This effort has been through multiple patches mainly to fix bugs but many other community suggestions have also been implemented in these patches.

Alot of enhancements in these patches have also dealt with improving both the realism and the immersion to this great game and I'am sure we will see more good things to come. :) So at the end of the day Battlefront like all other commercial ventures will weigh up any improvements or enhancements to CMSF based on a cost vs benefit analysis. That said there is no harm in giving them a few ideas that may benefit us all.

Tracers are used in the game to make up for cues we don't have. There's no distinguishing the direction of the shot from the sound, no seeing where others are looking and pointing. No radio chatter about receiving fire from that clump of trees. there's a dozen cues we don't have, but we do have tracers to make up for it. Try playing the game with the tracer skin masked out. Its pretty nearly impossible.