Questions on Tactics

Yeah, I seem to remember some anecdotes from the Bulge where one of the newer draftee Divisions took up a long-standing Veteran's Division(I keep thinking the 2nd Div, but not particularly sure) in the line in Belgium.

The gist of the story was that the Vet Division had so much accumulated equipment outside of thier TO&E, Extra MMGs, 50 cals, and so forth, that when they left the line to the FNG's (taking thier bounty of extra weapons with them) the new division had to completely redesign thier earthworks to make them work.

Of course, they still got steamrollered in a couple of weeks anyway....

I never understood CMBB being shunned by so many back-in-the-day. . . . Both sides are the 'Bad Guy'.

A convenient juxtaposition of pre-1945 ("the only good Nazi is a burnt Nazi"...) as well as post-1945 ("beware the Soviet Integral...") propagandistic perceptions.

You got the feeling they were stating every excuse but the real reason, that they've pretty much fetishized NW Europe. Playing WWII Normandy is like acting out the scenes to 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'.

Whenever I read the back cover of a movie or game which takes place in Normandy between June and December 1944 and I spot the phrase "the toughest battle of the war" or some such, I think: "Yeah, right; tell that to Army Group Center or the defenders of Brest-Litovsk." But wait, I forgot... everything is from America's perspective. :rolleyes:

When I first heard about CMSF, my delight that Combat Mission had become better than ever was counteracted by my disappointment that the game wasn't set in WW2. But that was largely because of my unfamiliarity with war and the tactics and the equipment thereof post 1945. Once I actually got the game, I became more familiar with the tactics and such, and that fired my interest, and since then I have done a fair amount of research about moderns weapons and military formations. Now I'm actually glad that BFC diverged from the WW2 era. That said, I'm really looking forward the CMx2 WW2 games. :D

Whenever I read the back cover of a movie or game which takes place in Normandy between June and December 1944 and I spot the phrase "the toughest battle of the war" or some such, I think: "Yeah, right; tell that to Army Group Center or the defenders of Brest-Litovsk." But wait, I forgot... everything is from America's perspective.

When I first heard about CMSF, my delight that Combat Mission had become better than ever was counteracted by my disappointment that the game wasn't set in WW2. But that was largely because of my unfamiliarity with war and the tactics and the equipment thereof post 1945. Once I actually got the game, I became more familiar with the tactics and such, and that fired my interest, and since then I have done a fair amount of research about moderns weapons and military formations. Now I'm actually glad that BFC diverged from the WW2 era. That said, I'm really looking forward the CMx2 WW2 games.

Hopefully, with the recent huge surge of new investments into large PC Wargaming studios and the enormous explosion of PC Wargaming popularity overseas ,we will now begin to see many more and even better PC Wargame titles than what has been previously released by niche publishers for a tiny US market that has only spent, by rough estimate, tens of millions, on wargames alone, in the past 2 decades of the industrys existence.

As for myself, I am anxiously awaiting the deluge, a tidal wave actually, of substantial and superb (magnificent?) offerings to the PC Wargame Industry that will be sure to arrive from the continent at any moment. (once the government subsidy checks clear)

Can't wait, can't wait, giddy with anticipation...holding my breath.

my dad was in the 503rd around 1960. He said that almost everything he had issued to him (in terms of equipment) had WW2 dates on it.

I had a nephew (still do, actually) who went into the Marines in the late '90s. He SWEARS that a large precentage of his webbing was WWII vintage. Perheps in 2059 a future generation is still going to be carrying pieces of 2009 kit around.

Heh, all these equipment stories are the same :) When I joined the IDF, we got these really crappy webbings that would just hang there off your shoulders and all the velcro in the mag pouches was worn out, so if you bent over your mags could spill out. Our rifle straps were narrow and rough, so everyone just went and bought a wide smooth strap privately. Good thing was, as soon as we finished basic training, we got brand new, out of the bag full upper body webbings that would just sit tight on your chest and distribute the weight, new helmets with new covers, it was great. I tarted up my webbing so much, but always wished I had it with me in basic, would have been much nicer :)

Sad part of it is, as soon as I came back as a reservist, it was back to signing for really crappy stuff every time. One exercise, I was actually issued a tanker's helmet, made of steel (not kevlar), with the headset taken out, so besides looking like a complete tit, I had to run around with the huge, heavy helmet on my head :) That week couldn't have ended sooner...

I had a nephew (still do, actually) who went into the Marines in the late '90s. He SWEARS that a large precentage of his webbing was WWII vintage. Perheps in 2059 a future generation is still going to be carrying pieces of 2009 kit around.

It's the Marine Corps.... they don't really have a big budget, especially when compared to the Army, which is why the Army gets all the toys.

The Corps gets the job done with what they have.

Heh, all these equipment stories are the same :)

Well we received rather modern kit back in 1999, most of kit was from 80s at latest, as that was time when newest combatants kit was taken into use and there was enough of it to share to ever guy in training. Summer uniforms were from 60s, as newer uniforms were still in "vacation rotation". New uniforms are used first at leves, parades, longer vacations, then after some time they are moved to field-service for traning units and finally put into "wartime slot".

And first 5 years of reservist rotation kit usually should to be rather good as reservist still belongs to most vital units. During second and possibly third rotation to lower level units issued kit starts to degenerate quite fast, and most of low-level units might get just combat gear from 60s, rest he has to bring from his home. Have heard few stories from guys at refresment training who has been shocked (freaked out to be more precise) when they understand how poor equipment they are issued. In 80s even weaponry of some units could consist mostly ww2 era weapons, SMGs, semi-action rifles, Maxim MGs, 75mm PAKs. I didn't much laugh when i understood that. During 90s all men could be armed with assault rifles, thanks to poor but cheap DDR and Chinese AKs which came to markets.

Well wartime manpower has reduced to about half in last decade so issues with equipment has got better. FDF has finally been able to get rid of it's ww2 gear (presumably) completely last year.

The wars in Afghanistan/Iraq had been a bit of a boon for British kit issue. Every single unit, from Regular army to Territorial (part-time reservists) even down to Cadet forces (a youth organisation for 12-18 year olds, sponsored by MoD) gets issued mostly new kit and equipment these days.

Six years ago, when I was a cadet, we were still running around in OG shirts, wooly pullovers and 1980s combat jackets. And that was our best drill kit, normal barracks kit and dirty field kit all rolled into one.

Nowadays they all get combat jackets, shirts, trousers, all of which are the proper IRR (Infra-red reflective) stuff the regs get. Most units have new PLCE webbing and bergans too (when I started we still had 1958 pattern webbing...). The kids today even get issued combat socks!

So if thats the scale of issue to cadets, you can imagine the kit available to frontline regular forces. Media stories of "poor equipment" are much exaggerated, IMHO.

Media stories of "poor equipment" are much exaggerated, IMHO.

I have to agree there. I have so much kit its unreal, Bergens, webbing, assault vests in both desert and green. In fact its hard to stand in stores and convince them that you DONT want any more kit or the very latest jackets thats replaceing the one you got 6 months ago that replaced the one before that etc etc etc... Much exagerated.

"poor" ? Please elaborate on this. Or did you just mean "old"?

Don't know other than that DDR's rifles needed quite bit of care from weaponshmits to get into average condition, so eventually they weren't that cheap. Old or just poorly made, i don't know which. I've handled DDR-rifle which had everything knit together and barrel painted to yellow to mark that it's practice weapon, those were issued to MOUT-training. So my personal experiences are rather limited.

Steve: We will probably have professional military by that time. And they will still use M/05 because defense budget can pay just their salaries :D

Well, I hope I don't have to wait that long to get a genuine set of m/05 in my hands :D

Steve

Don't know how soon copyright owned by FDF ceases... If copyright is right word? what i mean is that FDF is only one who can buy those items. There's talk that uniform is released to civilian markets in one or two years if FDF doesn't expand it's copyright for more.

So you probably will get it sooner that 2040. Price will be too salty atleast for my wallet, heck i had to make my own (lousy) 3D-outfit for hĂșnting porpuses. But to guy who is about to buy BMP3 i quess it's, eh, filthy cheap :)