A Request for Missinginreality

Yeah I'd love for this mod to be updated. Seeing the Brits with mostly bright blue icons (except for the HQs and FOs) is really jarring.

I had a quick look at the files in Gimp, but I'm no modder and I quickly gave up - I'm sure it's something to do with alpha channels or something, but I couldn't figure it out...

Hi Guys,

Appreciate your post and am glad to hear the mod's been useful to you; am happy to re-do them with the new icons no worries; will get it done obver the next few days all being well.

It is an alpha channel thing Zatoichi - if you need it sooner rather than later, basically each icon has a 50% or so grey alpha channel included. But will get to it when I can for sure.

Cheers

MiR

That's great news - thanks! I much prefer your modded icons to the stock coloured ones.

As an aside, I may just have an old version of your mod, but the Marines module introduced a new truck icon which is still in the original colour, so if that could be included in your update that would be excellent if it's not too much bother!

I may even have another look at this alpha channel thing myself, just to see if I can work it out.

Now if someone wants to release a ragtag Brit uniform mod, I'll be all set!

Missinginreality:

Glad to hear it - I figured I wasn't the only one getting some mileage out of your great mod. I agree with Zatoichi, your changes to the icons make them far easier on the eyes and more of an aid rather than a distraction.

I suppose one draw back to the "Module system" is one must hope the same mod designers who crafted work for an original installment are willing to not only purchase the new additions but also subsequently "update" their work.

Then again, it could be the bit of motivation I require to finally make peace with Photoshop and do this sort of stuff myself.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm unemployed these days and can volunteer time to get this mod up to UK standards..

I put the transparent icons into my Z folder and found that some of the transparent ones show up but the majority remain stock. Is it a matter of just changing filenames or does it require additional software?

travcrouse:

Thanks for taking the time! Funny how consuming this "tiny" mod can be, isn't it?:D

I'll assume you have already selected an icon file to test in order to make sure your alpha channel editing technique is successful before embarking on the task of tracking them all down in their various folders. Pardon me if this is stating the obvious...

Regarding the renaming of files,a few of the UK icons are visually the same as those in the base game and the USMC Module (infantry, at, mg, etc.). However, they are delineated by the inclusion of the word "british" in their file name (e.g. "icon british red mg 1" vs. "icon syr red mg 1" vs. "icon usa red mg 1").

So, by way of this example, you could save yourself time by modifying the " red mg 1" icon and renaming it appropriately to cover all of the versions. If you have overlooked any of these delineating labels it might explain why some of the icons are not appearing the way you intended.

Building on Missinginreality's work, you may also wish to fire up the game and note which icons are not displaying as intended, track them down and apply your editing technique as required. Here are the paths for the various icons:

• Version 100>bmp>markers>floating icons (shared,contacts, Syrian, US)
  • Version 120>icons>floating icons (blue, red, US)
  • UK>icons>floating icons (British)

I do not believe the USMC Module included any specialized floating icons.

As of now I've just put his icon folder in my z folder, fired-up a Brit scenario to see the results and then took the folder back out. I'm very leery of messing with anything but the contents of his icon folder (don't know a thing about alpha channel editing).

Forgive my simple-mindedness, but I was thinking that I could just copy, for example, 'icon usa blue ifv 2.bmp' and rename the copy 'icon british blue ifv 2.bmp'. It sounds like you are saying this is possible (?)

...I was thinking that I could just copy, for example, 'icon usa blue ifv 2.bmp' and rename the copy 'icon british blue ifv 2.bmp'.

Sure, that will work, but it is something of a quick and dirty solution. Reason being that some of the icons, even though they both refer to IFV's, are visually different between the base game and the UK module. If the uniformity that results from substituting these files does not bother you, then, for the most part, you are good to go.

As I mentioned above, visually speaking, some of the UK icons, "infantry" for example, are the same as those in the rest of the game. As such, you can simply rename MIR's files to get the desired effect in these instances. Others, however are new/unique to the UK Module and version 1.20, such as the "sniper" icon. These files need to have an alpha channel applied to them as a layer in Photoshop in order to produce the transparency effect. That is what MIR was referring to here:

It is an alpha channel thing Zatoichi - if you need it sooner rather than later, basically each icon has a 50% or so grey alpha channel included.

I spent a couple of hours this morning trying to figure out alpha channels again - I tried with both Gimp and Paint.Net - but freely available to download - however, I just couldn't work out how the alpha channel thing was done.

I'm sure it is actually pretty simple - I've used rezexplode to open up the the British module brz, and I've had these icons and the ones MissingInReality has already edited next to each other, but I'm missing that spark of intelligence that would enable me to figure out what exactly he's done to the alpha channels, and how I can go about replicating this with either Gimp or Paint.Net.

I'd love to know how it's done, as this isn't the first time I've tried experimenting. I would happily do the leg work and convert all the new icons and upload them onto the Repository (with suitable props to MIR of course!) - I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be easier for someone else to do it in Photoshop than it would to actually explain to me how to do it using my open source software though.

Well fellas, this Yank is just too damn impatient, so I took the liberty of updating Missinginreality's "floating icons" to v1.20/UK Module standards myself.:D All new files are color matched to fit seemlessly with the original mod. Icons for the MTVR and LMTV have also been added.

If there is any interest I would be glad to share (233kb, .rar archive).

Note, I have only updated the files required for conventional Blue on Red engagements. If you play Blue on Blue or Red on Red you will probably want to wait for Missinginreality to update his mod in a more comprehensive manner.

From the ReadMe:

These files update Missinginreality's original floating icons mod to v.1.20/UK Module standards. Icons are reduced to 50% opacity for a subdued appearance.

Note: icons for Blue on Blue and Red on Red are not included in this version.

My thanks to Missinginreality for all of his effort as the bulk of the files in this update are his original body of work.

Hi guys,

Humble apologies from me and gratitudes also to those putting in the time and effort to get this fixed up to Brit compliance in my absence. Bushfire season just starting here and between that and a bit of work have been a bit chokkas.

Weather permitting will run them all through the subdueing process this arvo and post asap.

Cheers

MiR

Speak of the Devil!:D

Well folks, there you go. No need to download my little quick fix. This guy will not only make your interface look better, but he'll also keep your house from burning down too!

PP that was funny man :)

With much thanks to all for your patience and work and input and for keeping this going; am now in the process of uploading a zip to the repositories; should be live in 10 mins or so.

Cheers

MiR