What am I really missing now?

- A warning system, that notifies the player about new spotted units outside the player view. This could be done graphically (with a visual clue) or with a player log (like in many other games, e.g. Close Combat). I think that real time is wonderful but in big scenarios I must pause too often only to "survey" battlefield... and sometimes a good mission is ruined for 10 seconds of distraction, when our units have already spotted the new threat (SAY ME SOMETHING, spotter!!!!!!!).

- A "done" system, that notifies the player of accomplished orders. This could be done with the player log, again, or with an audio clue (better the log).

IMHO the player log divides this series from a full 10/10 :)

I'd like to see more specific targetting orders, or better yet, orders to not shoot anything at all. More than a couple times I've almost put my fist through the monitor because a squad observed an enemy BMP-3 and decided it was a good idea to take a shot at it while I was bringing up the javelin to take it down. A 'only fire on vehicles' or 'only fire on infantry' variant would be handy too.

I'd like to see more specific targetting orders, or better yet, orders to not shoot anything at all. More than a couple times I've almost put my fist through the monitor because a squad observed an enemy BMP-3 and decided it was a good idea to take a shot at it while I was bringing up the javelin to take it down. A 'only fire on vehicles' or 'only fire on infantry' variant would be handy too.

Set a 360 degree targeting arc (press shift for 360) that's as small as it needs to be to avoid firing on what you don't want firing on.

Set a 360 degree targeting arc (press shift for 360) that's as small as it needs to be to avoid firing on what you don't want firing on.

That is a good makeshift solution, I didn't know about holding shift. Thanks for that. Does it affect their powers of observation outside of that circle like it does with a regular arc? Because if so then it is still not a wholly satisfactory solution, and I'd still like to see an ability to distinguish between vehicle and infantry targets so I don't have to slap my javelin team for wasting an $80,000 missile on a vehicle crew member.

A thread on possible improvements?

I am always ready to dump my (pet peevee) list into a thread like this!

• Gun elevation limits
  • Minimum engagement ranges for tank weapons (related to gun elevation)
  • Peeking/shooting around corners
  • Detailed AAR (a text log file would do).
  • Spotting information shared by adjacent units not belonging
    to the same platoon (or higher)
  • Limit shooters per window
  • LOS across sharp terrain edges
  • Ways of keeping infantry away from balconies
  • Persistent map damage
  • Better burning vehicles effects
  • Shaded grass
  • Improved/fixed quick battle selection
  • Improved editor UI (flavor objects, in particular)
  • Targetable smoke for infantry (obsolete? Seems to work well now.)

I have also accepted that I shall not see any of the above in CM:SF, so please spare me the flames ...

Best regards,

Thomm

Yes, an hold fire shortcut would be very handy! And it solves the problem with hunt/move to contact, since you can give the hunt command and next the hold fire command to have "move to contact".

Strange. I had mentioned that problem a while back in a thread. I thought I was told it was being worked on. Still waiting for 1.2 patch so can't test it.

- A warning system, that notifies the player about new spotted units outside the player view. This could be done graphically (with a visual clue)

Doesn't this already happen - a new red (or blue) triangle appearing on the edge of the screen in the direction of the spotted unit? Sure, you have to keep an eye on things, but you do anyway. Maybe first time appearance, three times flash sort of thing?

Yes there is some visual clue; but playing elite or iron, when a unit is selected and the new threat is out of his view, you have no warning at all. Ok, you can play easy, but I think that even in iron mode you should have a player log and some warning clue (different from KABOOOM obviously!).

The informations about status & equipment shouldn't be removed from dismounted vehicels. That's a nuisance especially with the Brits, if you let your light infantry fight dismounted and at one point would need to reammo from your vehicels, but doesn't remember which vehicel has still which number and type of ammo.

We defenetly should be able to exchange ammo/equipment between different units or put them back into a vehicel (what's technically the same thing). Doesn't makes sense if Unit-A carries a RPG launcher, but is out of ammo, while Unit-B has lot's of RPG rockets, but has lost the launcher.

A thread on possible improvements?

I am always ready to dump my (pet peevee) list into a thread like this!

• Gun elevation limits
  • Minimum engagement ranges for tank weapons (related to gun elevation)
  • Peeking/shooting around corners
  • Detailed AAR (a text log file would do).
  • Spotting information shared by adjacent units not belonging
    to the same platoon (or higher)
  • Limit shooters per window
  • LOS across sharp terrain edges
  • Ways of keeping infantry away from balconies
  • Persistent map damage
  • Better burning vehicles effects
  • Shaded grass
  • Improved/fixed quick battle selection
  • Improved editor UI (flavor objects, in particular)
  • Targetable smoke for infantry (obsolete? Seems to work well now.)

I have also accepted that I shall not see any of the above in CM:SF, so please spare me the flames ...

Best regards,

Thomm

??? Even after the release of Normandy? Will there really never been a more detailed AAR put out for CMSF? I've been under the impression that once Normandy was out.....they could do such for CMSF...

All good stuff but personally I would like to see athentic distinctive tracers (Red & Green) for various large and small calibre MG's. Some of the mods do and excellent job at recreating the tracer feel, but it would be great to see different coloured tracers from both red & blue forces occuring at the same time. This effect could even be extended to CAS air support if proved successful on the ground.