Some competition-A Time of Wrath

No links policy obeyed.

This game appears to be a division-level strategic European game, which may involve more minutae than may be necessary (tho you can apparently play on a corps level). Wasn't there someone working on a division-level Euro theatre scenario for SC2? I go into their forum, and lo and behold someone is bitching about planes destroying ground troops-talk about reinventing the wheel. For their sake if nothing else I hope the designers aren't too naive about certain things...

TOW is an upgrade to WW2 Road To Victory - a truly horrible game! I was very unhappy I wasted my money on it, and since the upgrade is free to us suckers who bought the original version I'll get it. But if it's anything like the original it won't really be much if any competition for the SC series since they are on a much larger scale.

My HONCH Expanded division/corps scale MOD of Fall Weiss is complete except for the AI. It will be released with the next SC2 expansion.

It includes the following:

1. Half the scale of the original Fall Weiss.

2. Expanded map to include more of Africa and South America.

3. Many more cities, towns, ports, resources and points of interest. (eg. Kasserine Pass, Dodacenese Islands, Montevideo and the River Plate etc.)

4. Many more nations including Brazil, Venezuela, Netherlands, Abyssinia.

5. Emulation of Free French, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Greek and Belgian governments and units.

6. Expanded scripts to explore the what-ifs of the Iraqi Coup, British military aid to Greece, British Chemical Weapon plans and SAS attacks, German attempts to bring Spain into the War, Axis Surface and Air Raiders, Japanese Sub Bases in Madagascar, defection of General Vlassov, Arab and Zionist partisan attacks, Overland convoys from Germany to Italy, Romania to Germany, Persia to USSR, V1 and v2 attacks and more.

7. Expanded OOB including divisions, garrison troops, coastal and rail guns, Waffen SS and Ost Battalions, US Atomic Bombs and more.

Stay tuned.

TOW is an improvement on the older version of the game which I forgot the name. Some of the improvements in the game were my suggestions actually. The base concept was good and the structure but the game is too clumsy for its scale. HOI found that out. Div scale games need an auto replenishment system.

For SC2 its fine because we play on corp/army level.

All I can say is that I was not happy with the game. I expected the equivalent to War in Europe (Decision Games board game) and I got a 1/2 ass put together game.

I think maybe this game was a tester for this game they are working on.

http://bitterglory.com/index.php?lang=en

These guys are developing "Bitter Glory" also, but believe me they have a long way to go. Sure "Time of Wrath" is a step in the right direction but this edition is in its infantile stages much like SC1 was back in 2002.

Here's the deal guys, I've looked at numerous designs, my wargaming goes back to the early 60s, and one thing is always very apparent. That "thing" is these platforms go through an evolution of adjusting, testing, revamping, and it takes a long time, no getting around it. No one comes out with a design that is truly great the first time, they have potential at best.

So...what do you do to get "your" game designed, short of doing it yourself? You do what we're doing here, being focused on SC, one platform that Hubert has given his attention to improving. I don't care what you think, I know you can't get a truly great game without the "time" investment. SC is 7 years ahead of any introductory design. If you want to try something else, like I have, by all means go for it, but remember what I've said here and remember what Hubert has done here and don't forget the support that "Battlefront" has given here.

Cause in the end, when its all said and done, it will be the game that has the devotion of a number of elements, some mentioned above, that will excel and become that great wargame. IMO, SC has the elements, and the status of greatness is getting close.

Ive played SC1 just the other day, it's outdated sure, but with retreat rules it would have been fantastic.

In sc2 Tiles are still a big problem for encirclements and getting a coherent frontline. That's why I always said sc2 works better with division sized scenarios where there are a lot more spaces.

My hope now is that they go for sc3 but I guess that another sc2 expansion is on its way.

Moon said before the release of sc pacific that they were working on two standalone sc 2 games of which pacific was on of them. But both were world war 2 he said.

So that leaves it up to speculation. I'm guessing world campaign but that's already been done brilliantly but Nupremal and others so I can't see how they could make a better map or improve that much. Maybe some new features like changes in diplomacy but it will be very similar to sc 2 series.

Moon said that these two games were not to be seen as expansions but as stand alone game. So what did we get from pacific, practically the same game but with new scenarios and a new map. I'm expecting the same from this next game.

What would be cool though is a return to the sc1 but with the development of sc 2 under the hood.

I mean add hexes, top-down view(with splendid map to attract others and the wargaming crowd), retreat rules, the great AI, simplicity in the game and an editor that can change practically anything.

Then we would have a winner. Unfortunately Hubert continue with the tiles which I think is the biggest let down of the sc2 series. It's the tiles and lack of retreat rules that make not feel like ww2.

And I also feel it would be difficult to implement retreat rules in a game with tiles as there are too many directions of retreat to make the AI work properly.