Smoke from burning vehicles

Will there be any updates with smoke on the battlefield in the CM Normandy or even in CMSF. Currently smoke put out by vehicles,infantry and arty is done well. It drifts with the wind and thins out the further it drifts.

Burning vehicles on the other hand has the smoke go straight up into the sky.

Will there be any updates with smoke on the battlefield in the CM Normandy or even in CMSF. Currently smoke put out by vehicles,infantry and arty is done well. It drifts with the wind and thins out the further it drifts.

Burning vehicles on the other hand has the smoke go straight up into the sky.

The smoke from burning vehicles also moves with the wind, and disperses over time (as it rises up). But, just as in the real world, smoke from a hot fire tends to go up very fast too, driven by the updraft from the heat generated by the fire. While smoke from arty missions etc. have no such updraft driving them up (and obviously are meant to stay at ground level to make them useful).

Scenario designers tend to avoid strong winds in CMSF because it messes so much with ATGM flight paths. So you don't often see the effects of strong winds in the game. You want to see horizontal smoke columns, but do you also want your smoke screen to immediately dissipate and none of your RPGs hit their targets? :o

StrongWind.jpg

You want to see horizontal smoke columns, but do you also want your smoke screen to immediately dissipate and none of your RPGs hit their targets? :o

QUOTE]

Why not?

Obviously, relatively extreme conditions would have to be used sparingly, but if they realistically depict possible realworld conditions, I see no reason to exclude them.

One of the many enjoyable aspects of the CMx1 serious was the variance in weather and prevailing ground conditions. Presumably it will play a significant role in CM Normandy etc, and will surely be included in Shock Force Europe when it arrives? It doesn't play a very large role in Shock Force, but I wouldn't object if, just occasionally, I found myself obliged to fight in a sandstorm or winter shower.

One of the many enjoyable aspects of the CMx1 serious was the variance in weather and prevailing ground conditions. Presumably it will play a significant role in CM Normandy etc, and will surely be included in Shock Force Europe when it arrives? It doesn't play a very large role in Shock Force, but I wouldn't object if, just occasionally, I found myself obliged to fight in a sandstorm or winter shower.

We already have strong winds in CMSF, it's just scenario designers don't use them at all. The higher haze settings can be used to simulate a dust storm. But really, it's not terribly fun to play that way. I'm probably going to take some **** for saying this, but actually depicting the dust and coming and going visibility of a dust storm graphically would probably make it a bit more palpable.

My complaints are mostly for the quality of smoke visuals, not about the lack of strong winds. Even with a strong wind smoke does not behave like in MikeyDs picture, straight and thin like a tube. And anyway, you dont need a windstorm for properly dispersing smoke from burning wrecks!

Better Fire/Smoke FX, should be a priority in the graphic improvements list in CM:N.