Is "smoke" in CMSF actually WP?

Apocal

Well "smoke" comes in a lot of flavours.

You mention 155mm so I gather you are referring to artillery delivered smoke (as opposed to vehicle smoke produced by Multi Barrelled Smoke Grenade Dischargers as mentioned by Elmar).

Artillery smoke can either be the cooler "base ejection" smoke that has a carrier shell that travels ballistically and dispenses smoke as it flies over the area to be obscured.

The other option for Artillery is WP.

Vehicle smoke (from grenades, not exhaust) can be either WP or "multi spectral" (i.e. TI defeating).

There is a difference between mortar and 155mm artillery smoke. Artillery smoke is patterned after WP so the cloud tends to rise more quickly than the cool ground-hugging HC(?) smoke for mortars. At least it did the last time I checked. In the past I've run my men through a smke screen only to find it lift over their heads before they're halfway to their destination!

BFC doesn't model the toxic effects. We may have to wait til a WWI title before they try to reproduce chemical attack. HC smoke is no walk in the park either. Sherman HC smoke rounds were a favorite against the Big Cats and anti-tank guns. Get the crew to abandon their posts, and those who didn't often were dragged out of the cloud with bright green hair from the oxodized aluminum!

There is a difference between mortar and 155mm artillery smoke. Artillery smoke is patterned after WP so the cloud tends to rise more quickly than the cool ground-hugging HC(?) smoke for mortars.

Isn't this a bit... backwards? As I understand it, artillery uses more base-discharging smoke shells than WP, while mortars fire quite a bit of WP.

Artillery/Mortar Smoke 101:

Smoke is delivered in one of two projectiles: Burster and base ejecting.

Smoke is further classified as Quick (WP) or High Concentrate (HC) which is non WP

All U.S. Mortars now fire only WP smoke. The old 4.2in system did have a HC Smoke round. To the best of my knowledge that round wasn't inlcuded in the new M120 (Need an 11C to tell me if I'm wrong)

155mm (M109, M198, M777) can deliver WP Smoke as both bursting rounds and base ejecting. WPs advantages are its quick time to build, hence the term 'quick' smoke. The M825 'tall boy' WP Smoke uses WP soaked waffers to combine both quick build time and long duration. M825s are base ejecting

The HC Smoke is base ejecting, its slower to build but like M825 smoke it lasts longer than the bursting M118 WP smokes.

Lots of 'useless' info to win bets at the bar with.

But remember there are other natures of ammunition coming on line (in the modules not yet published) besides American.

Not saying the above information is wrong, but it is important to remember it applies to US smoke ammunition and not necessarily UK or NATO natures.

Does the Commonwealth or any major NATO nations differ in this respect?