RPG ammo question and BMP's

c3k

Gents,

I'm aware that the BMP's 73mm smoothbore fires an RPG round of 73mm diameter (anything larger would present an interesting engineering dilemma :) ).

Okay, so the BMP has some 73mm RPG rounds; some are HE, some are HEAT. They get fired by the autoload cannon.

Internally, it can carry RPG rounds for its passengers.

In one game, my reinforcements have appeared. An RPG team in a BMP has an RPG-7v1 with a nominal diameter of 93mm. The team has one single round; a 40mm HE.

The HQ unit in the same BMP also has an RPG-7v1. However, they have multiple rounds; 93mm HEAT, 85mm HEAT, and 40mm HE.

I want them to ACQUIRE more. (More is ALWAYS better.)

All the BMP's EVER carry is 85mm HEAT. Why?

I mean, is there a legitimate reason NOT to have 93mm HEAT or 40mm HE?

Marines get an option for their 40mm grenades.

Another question: bigger is also ALWAYS better, but what are the relative effectiveness differences between the 5 different RPG rounds in game? (If there are more than the 40mm HE, 73mm HE, 73mm HEAT, 85mm HEAT, and 93mm HEAT, what are they?)

My experiences with Red forces is somewhat limited, so it may be that I just haven't run across any other type of extra ammo.

Thanks,

Ken

Well, there are also the thermobaric rounds, of course (or are those the 73mm HE? don't think so. I LOVE thermobaric rounds :) )

I have personally found the 85mm HEAT to be rather ineffective against heavy armor. The only thing that really works well against tanks is the 93mm. anything except 40mm HE works fine against light armor without extra protection (meaning fine against BMPs or LAVs/AAVs but not always against Strykers or Brads).

Don't forget the 105mm T-HEAT. That one will make a mess of anything it hits (except perhaps the front arc of an Abrams). Although the size difference between 93mm and 105mm might not seem that great, it has a massive difference in penetration which makes is truly dangerous. The only drawback is its shorter range, I wouldn't try to hit anything at over 150m with it. The RPG-29 uses a similar warhead but has more propellent behind it, making it more accurate at range.

As stoex said, thermobaric rounds for both types of RPG are very useful for killing people in buildings. The pressure wave ignores body armour and will kill ~90% of the people in the room, making it is as effective as a SMAW. It is not so effective outside an enclosed area though.

The BMP-1's gun fires a special 73mm HEAT warhead, the same one as in the SPG 9 recoilless rifle which has about the same penetration as the 85mm warhead from the RPG 7 (but much greater range). Hope that helps :)

As for the same warheads being in all types of BMP I agree. BMP-2/3 should have a selection of RPG rounds available - Including HE and the more powerful HEAT ones.

Don't forget the 105mm T-HEAT. That one will make a mess of anything it hits (except perhaps the front arc of an Abrams). Although the size difference between 93mm and 105mm might not seem that great, it has a massive difference in penetration which makes is truly dangerous.

It's not so much the size difference, it's the fact that the the 105mm one has two warheads. :)

Anywhoo, might it be because at poorer quality settings they don't have RPG launchers compatible with the more effective grenades? Perhaps quality settings could influence inventory of stowed items as well as equipment?

We are speaking about RPG ammo, but why RPG itself is not an option in vehicles? US side can take javelin, Marines even more stuff. And Syrians???

In Czechoslovak army in case of conflict in every BMP-1 or BMP-2 was RPG with 7-8 rounds like reserve, one signal pistol and ammo for SA vz. 58 assault rifles. We have exported lot of equipment to Syria, so i am wondering why not also the concept was not exported?

By the way in the game there are no special BMP's! Like special RYS version for scouts - vehicle has better optics, is more quiet, has NBC sensors, better radio... Then special artillery observer BMP with direct radio to field battery and better optics... Also ambulance BMP to transport wounded...

We get only equipment for BLUE side, US, Marines, now British... But we don't have enough equipment for RED side! We received lately T-90 but with comments - no more vehicles for free in the future? What the hell does this mean??? Now i will be able to kill Syrians wit British equipment, later with German and Dutch, but i believe there will be more scenarios RED vs RED than BLUE vs RED anyway!!!

Check out the scenarios!!! Most favorites are RED vs RED scenarios (special thanks to PaperTiger) Why?

TELL ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS!

TELL ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS!

RPG launchers in vehicles would be a nice addition, and would lead to better play balance, because US have a lot of AT weapons in their load-out that can be used without a dedicated launcher.

About vehicles: it is hard to argue that more is better.

The BMP with the artillery link sounds good!!

A ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" would have the greatest novelty factor, but I do not see it happen because it would interfere with Blue air power!

Other than that, AA guns on ground mount and AT guns would also be great and make for a smooth transition to WW2 in terms of logic and animations.

Lack of the above does not distract me too much from enjoying the game, though.

Best regards,

Thomm

I agree, a RPG launcher in BMPs would be very useful. Don't know if there's enough space in the BMPs, but I hope we will get at least a single launcher with some of them sometime.

As for the specialized BMPs, I can only guess, but it may be the case that they are either not used by Syria, or their special abilities are not modeled in the game (like NBC and MEDEVAC capabilties).

Though I must admit, I would love to see the odd ambulance vehicle now and then, also for blue, like a Humvee or Stryker MEV, just for the flavor - even if their capabilties are not simulated.:D

c3k - Yep, high quality troops from better formations (i.e. not reserves) will get the 105mm rounds.

Sergei - I was going to post something about more RPG's but your post made me check. You are right, a platoon should only have 1 RPG per squad. The russians use an RPO and an RPG-22/26 as well though, I take it the Syrians don't have them because I would love to have an RPO in my squads!

Mechanized rifle squads carry the launcher as a default, making 4 launchers per platoon. If it was removed from the squads and put to the BMP, the AI wouldn't use them.

Nobody asks to remove them from the squads.

The subject is putting additional launchers in the BMPs.

Best regards,

Thomm

And what this would be based on?

I am the wrong person to lead this kind of discussion with, because I care alarmingly little whether the Syrians have a correct OOB or not.

I do, however, not find it unthinkable that the odd extra RPG launcher finds its way into the few remaining BMPs that the Syrians kept safe from Blue air attacks.

Best regards,

Thomm

To Sergei:to have additional RPG in BMP's will bring balance to actual status, where blue player can have a lot of AT power and red player not... what you do if you play against red AI? You put javelin to your troops! Why? Because you have this option! If you play against blue AI, this is not happening, AI is strictly keeping the OOB...

Who knows by the way if current Syrian OOB is correct? I know, that Battlefront did lot of research about this, but still is only their representation...

To Birdstrike: the BMP-1 has not big space for squad, but believe me or not, you can still put box with RPG and some rounds under your feet. It's not comfortable, but if you will later need it, you will do it! I know from my personal experience, i was riding this horse :)

To Thomm: I am missing the AA-guns too... And ZSU-23-4? I cannot live without :)