Battle for the Pacific AAR

Initial moves against China:

45184df86f9e.jpg

Disposition of forces for the invasion of India:

16c4432dd0ba.jpg

Also, to note again, I'm going to post a lengthy "diary" on the flow of this game, strategy, what I'd do different, how/why I altered certain plans, etc. Sort of a window into what my initial strategy was and why I made certain decisions. It will go into greater detail on how I'd approach China and India if I'd do it again, in relation to the screenshots above.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Opponent definitely likes to give fellow readers the idea he is playing a passive game, but I can assure you he's beginning to become much more aggressive. His navy (more importantly some of his CV's) are moving in position for what could be the decisive naval engagement of this conflict.

Tim, you have to get better with garrisoning those cities in China where the Partisans pop up, otherwise your supplies will suffer tremendously, just my two cents on the issue.

Scottsmm,Timskorn in my battle against KSW(him Japan),he took China in 1942(I forgot to guard one city and he para.onto it).I know we are both new at this game but it hasnt mattered at all.He has had some bad luck on tech,but like you scottsmm I held my Amis back untill I built absolutley ALL my ships and planes and we had a huge naval battle and now Japan is done.I havent taken it yet but ive landed on Japan and I think I will win.Maybe you veterns know some moves he should have done but its incredible how much stuff the Americans have.I forgot to mention my planes and ships are completely maxed out in the tech.dept.

You see what I mean, no outer islands, this is the MO for SC PTO, it would be stupid for any Allied player to commit piecemeal early in the campaign.

So what do you get? The same game everytime against a human opponent. Ohh sure there is some variation in China, perhaps Burma and India, but the big game is the Americans come at the Japanese with everything they got, all teched and built.

Now we all know, the Japanese didn't have a chance, I get it, but there is just no strategic and operational variation, it becomes a race against the timeline. Now that's really alright because we know what the real crux of this edition is about the naval model.

This SC edition is about getting these naval mechanics down as an accurate simulation of what historically occurred and its fun testing and tweaking, but let's get it right.

For tomorrow.....its the World!

SeaMonkey you do raise an interesting point.If two people are of approx.the same ability

(I think KSW has played a better game than I)then its prettywell a forgone conclusion what will happen.Historically this is accurate BUT would there be a way to somehow give Japan a chance WITHOUT going to far off the historical mode?The outer islands,maybe but all I did when I took Siapan and that other island needes for the Atomic Bomb was just bring ALL my Amis.ships and blast them to dust.He had even fortified them and it still didnt matter.

Right now we are just waiting to see what will happen when the Atomic bombs start.Next game KSW will be the Amis.and im sure he will lay a worse beating on me because he will know more of the Japanese weakness than whats obvious since he has already been them.

As one of my few games as Japan I'm eager to continue playing them and try different strategies. I enjoy the challenge of figuring out the best ways to use an underdog like Japan, and I maintain that you'll need to play as Japan over and over again to truly get competitive with them. I'm surprised more strategies haven't appeared for Japan, unless people are holding them close to their chests. :)

I'm having fun in our game. I lost in India, but that was in his territory, not mine. It's almost mid 1944 and we have a little over a year and a half left in the game. The real challenge has started for me now in doing whatever I can to hurt and delay the US, a phase of the war that we didn't get to experience much in Fall Weiss.

Glad to hear you’re having fun Tim, I'm also having a lot of fun, and to be honest this is a fairly good learning experience for me. Anyway I've just launched my island hoping campaign, and its objectives are clear, get to and take Japan out before Jan 1 1946. This is of course going to be the decider in our conflict, I personally think I can reach Japan in Mid 45', but I'm sure Tim has other plans, either way if he doesn't finish China off in the next few months I might have Japan conquered by early 45'.

Allies liberate all of India, along with most of Burma (capital included), in the DEI we take out 1/2 of Japanese oil supply, while with new reinforcements we will take all of the DEI back very soon. Meanwhile in China Chungking will fall with the start of my opponents next turn, but Kunming, and Changyeh (sp?) are still in the possession of Chinese forces. My prediction is the Allied combined strike back will only need 3 months to take all her initial objectives. My CV's are also waiting for the IJN to come play with them, but as of right now the majority of the IJN is near China/Japan/Northern part of Hanoi.

The DEI has now been liberated, minus a few villages in Sumatra. I also destroyed a Japanese tank group which had 5 bars of experience.

The US will be absent for the most part in the incoming 2-3 turns, as I have to prepare them for yet another invasion. Meanwhile in China, Chinese forces are falling back to their defensive perimeter near Changyeh, and Burma has been completely liberated, and soon we will liberate Thailand.

I keep trying multiple strategies with Japan but can only do really well with maximum concentration on China combined with well timed attacks on the Allied Navy. I HOPE there are other winning strategies, but has anyone found one yet?

Colin, If anyone has found one, they know they would be better off not to speak it publically, as that would likely render that strategy as useless. Needless to say I haven't found a good strategy for Japan, but in truth I prefer to play as the Allies, and rarely play as the Japanese.

April 1944: I'm not sure if I have the time or resources to completely subdue China. But, I have captured the capital and Kunming and have cornered most of his forces into the northern section of China. This has in turn freed up a lot of units to relocate in the defense of Japanese holdings.

The DEI has been captured, along with Rangoon. At least 4 Allied subs have moved into position to strike at my other convoy lanes but Japanese income is still decent enough to continue supporting our forces. We still hold Malaya, Brunei, etc. His US carriers were off the coast of India, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I have a feeling he is swinging them past the DEI and will be coming at Japan from another direction such as the Philippines or Japan itself, but our Kamikazi pilots are dutifully preparing to strike at any USN advance near Japan!

It is a long time still until Jan 1st, 1946...

Tim, Right now you have a major decision to make, and that is of course, do you go for a total victory in China? Or do you move into the islands in a defensive strategy, and hope to hold out until the end of the war? Either way though, with Chinese Armies only costing me 138mpps (level 2 infantry weapons, level 1 anti tank weapons, and level 1 mobility) there likely going to become a major problem, as in the production queue there are already quite a few of them with many more to come.

I agree, that is the position I'm in. You've formed a strong defensive line over the river to protect your last capital and the terrain is absolutely terrible for fighting. Nothing but rivers and mountains and poor supply lines. I still have plenty of air and ground assets to commit, so we'll see what I end up doing.

I suppose so, but Malaya is now cut off from any possible reinforcements as the Allies have liberated Thailand, thus cutting the railroad down to Malaya. Meanwhile I give futile orders to the Chinese units still located around Chungking, and I'm now faced with a tough decision, where to go next? It seems like the Philippines would be a good choice, but I know reinforcements are likely to flow to her, because everyone knows once she falls, Japan's days are numbered...

May 25th 1944: Not too much new action. IJA still pushing remnants of the Chinese army out of the capital area. Two infantry, two HQ and an AT tank won't be able to escape our offensive. But again, the road to their last capital is heavily defended behind the riverline to the north. Bombing runs are made on it. British and American forces close in on Singapore where a couple fighters and a tac have been used to intercept a couple US carriers launching raids from the west, apparently there are still some in the India area afterall.

Extra IJA forces are being moved out of China, the IJN is refitting and getting another carrier soon and Japanese scientists have broken through with a couple key technologies that will certainly aid in our defense.

See everyone on Tuesday!

The US is at this time beginning to consider an island hoping campaign which would deliver US troops to Japan in roughly 6 months. This would of course give me ample time to wipe out all Japanese resistance on the home islands, but as of right now the US is only considering the idea.

Late July 1944: Allies are pushing up through Japan's underbelly. Malaya and Vietnam still hold, with a contingent of IJA forces in Vietnam for defense. We're pushing north into China but our biggest hurdle is crossing the riverline which has also been fortified by engineers. We have the forces but we need a breakthrough to punch over to the otherside. Our superior fighters intercept China's and shoot it down, and our bombers are softening up their defensive lines to be attacked soon.

Meanwhile the IJA is further reinforcing itself to maximum strength before engaging the Allied fleet. All our carriers are intact and a sizeable amount of support ships, but we know we're outnumbered by 3 to 1 or greater by now. The timing of our engagement is crucial.