To anyone contemplating a purchase....

Darryl

Thanks to those of you who've tried to be helpful. The fact is, my physical copy of CMSF went un-opened for over a year because I had the DD version and never had need to look at the physical manual.

I was never advised that I would need to keep my DD number to activate my totally separate physical DVD. I naturally presumed that any needed key would be provided inside the box.

I have now received two replies from a "forum admin." with a link to the Tech support help desk FAQ. Which has such helpful suggestions as: "update my drivers", "make sure I have the latest patch", "read the game manual", "read the Windows manual". And other gems of similarly helpful advice.

WOW! To paraphrase obama: "Tech support I can believe in." Dear forum admin, what part of "I NEED MY E LICENSE NUMBER" are you having trouble understanding?

Here's a thought BF......How about sending me my "E license number", so I can use the software I paid for? Well I've just sent off another round of emails to every tech support address I can find. Let us see if anyone actually bothers to read them, or even acknowledge their receipt.

Which forum admin? Moon is one. He's a significant part of BFC (somewhere in the region of 15%, I think) He's also the person who dealt with the problems I had in a very timely and efficient manner.

To be honest, Mr. Darryl, you seem to have flown into an inconsolable rage after stewing over the failure of a single email. In addition to the link to the helpdesk, which you seem to be dismissing out of hand, there is Moon's email address. This may be a misunderstanding, but you are coming across as someone who would rather have a problem and shout about it than sort it out.

Sometimes people who want help don't really want it until they've had a chance to throw a tantrum. Not very helpful to their cause, but hey... all we can do is try to help people despite themselves.

BTW, I'm nearly positive the email that has the eLicense code says quite specifically to not lose it. It's been a long time since I've actually ordered a product from our website (a perk is direct contact with the warehouse :)) so I could be mistaken. Anybody want to confirm/denny that by looking at one of their own?

Steve

Sometimes people who want help don't really want it until they've had a chance to throw a tantrum. Not very helpful to their cause, but hey... all we can do is try to help people despite themselves.

BTW, I'm nearly positive the email that has the eLicense code says quite specifically to not lose it. It's been a long time since I've actually ordered a product from our website (a perk is direct contact with the warehouse :)) so I could be mistaken. Anybody want to confirm/denny that by looking at one of their own?

Steve

For digital download it only says to keep the mail for the download link not explicitly for the code. And it wasn't in big bold red letters either.

I second stikkypixie's assessment. There could be a more explicit, or more visually obvious statement about the license number in the email.

On the other hand, I am musing about what ever happened to safeguarding, or at least making an effort to keep information regarding money one spends on products? People used to print out such things as an email containing a license number. Or at least make a backup of their email folders before they formatted their hard drive.

After all, the email containing the license number is (at least in my understanding) a part of the sales contract between BF and the customer. It's just common sense for both parties to keep a copy of it at hand for later reference and not toss it out like some downloadable freeware when someone changes their OS. I'm sure BF doesn't handle things this way, as Darryl will probably admit eventually when he gets the nerve up to go through the moves with BF customer support.

OK, I'll ask Martin to change the text to be more explicit. That's easily done (I think!) and a simple oversight on our part. Having said that, I agree with Stoex's assessment of how lazy we've all become with this sort of stuff. I lose track of user accounts and passwords that I've set up for myself all the time :)

One thing I am, though, is rather thorough about keeping important emails. If it comes in with any information specific to a financial transaction I've made, I keep it. That doesn't mean I can always find it right away :P, but at least I know that if I look hard enough I'll find it.

Steve

Here's a thought BF......How about sending me my "E license number", so I can use the software I paid for? Well I've just sent off another round of emails to every tech support address I can find. Let us see if anyone actually bothers to read them, or even acknowledge their receipt.

Random emails are one way to go, but why not also take the extra time to log a ticket at the help desk as suggested above? It is very simple to use and will be the most reliable method of getting help directly from the person whom can help, as was also suggested above.

Dan

I have now received two replies from a "forum admin." with a link to the Tech support help desk FAQ. Which has such helpful suggestions as: "update my drivers", "make sure I have the latest patch", "read the game manual", "read the Windows manual". And other gems of similarly helpful advice.

Yes! Very helpful. For example like this one, titled "Where do I find my license key?":

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=29&nav=0,1

I second stikkypixie's assessment. There could be a more explicit, or more visually obvious statement about the license number in the email.

There could be a lot of things... which people would simply ignore. :) Just like they ignore all the stuff that is written right now.

First of all, about a third of those emails never makes it to the customer because of spam blockers, incorrect email address etc. Which is why we changed the system so that YOU DO NOT NEED THE EMAIL.

Your key and download link are saved in your customer account. You don't need to save any emails.

Another nice side effect of this is that you don't need to remember a dozen keys if you bought a dozen games... you only need to remember your customer account login, and nothing else.

Part of the confusion here is merely coming from the fact that the system USED to be different (and much less user friendly) in the past. Since we switched to the new system the amount of lost keys etc. has drastically gone down, which was the whole reason for the change.

Yes, Darryl, we're all sitting here in support and are deleting your emails, snickering all the way and exchanging funny anecdotes about you.

The Knowledgebase contains instructions who to contact and what to tell them (your name, address etc.) in order for us to find your key. Believe it or not, but you're not the only customer and nobody here knows who you are or what your name is until you tell us. We did want to hire psychics to do the support job so people don't even have to tell us this kind of thing but they turned out to be too expensive, sorry.