question about WIA vs KIA

Gpig

I searched, but couldn't find the thread I was thinking of.

I noticed that there are usually WAY more KIA than WIA at the conclusion of my CMSF/M battles. Especially in comparison to CMx1 battles.

It is my understanding that historically, as most of you know, wounded men vastly outnumber KIA's during your average battle.

There was a thread that touched on this topic but I could not find it. I'd be interested to read the discussion and Steve's comments (if any). Anybody recall it?

Thanks,

GPig

Expect to get a high number of KIA in battles with a lot of armor and vehicles. In CMSF, many vehicles are very prone to become catastrophic kills with 100% KIA of all passengers. Besides that, if in an infantry or combined arms battle, just make sure to buddy aid all your red-circled friends. But of course you will still get some freak accidents, like yesterday when i had a 4-man USMC mg team on a roof that got hit with an RPG, all became KIA.

In my experience, KIA only exceed WIA when there are lots of vehicle kills. I think vehicle crews when they become casualties usually become KIA - which seems logical to me. Even if the vehicle doesn't burn or explode I would expect a lot of heat to be generated inside the wreck.

[Edit]Post added simultaneously to the above.

Good points. Hadn't taken into account the vehicle kills.

Still, I've played a fair number of battles where vehicle kills were rare yet the disparity between WIA and KIA remained. (And I always try to do buddy aid.)

Anyone play infantry only battles and notice this? I'd expect a 3 to 1 ratio of WIA to KIA. Unless I'm far off . . .

Thanks!

Gpig

In my experience, KIA only exceed WIA when there are lots of vehicle kills. I think vehicle crews when they become casualties usually become KIA - which seems logical to me. Even if the vehicle doesn't burn or explode I would expect a lot of heat to be generated inside the wreck.

What about when a crew suffers casualties but the vehicle is intact? (Though such an occurrence definitely seems rare.) The other day I had an M1A2 take a hit which took out the gunner and the commander (who was unbuttoned, I think) -- their 'slots' on the info panel went from blue to grey, but it remained unclear whether they had been rendered WIA or KIA.

In infantry-only battles, my experience has been a three-to-one (or something like it) WIA-to-KIA ratio. Playing the "From Dawn to the Setting Sun" mini-campaign a few times in a row should yield some enlighting figures in this regard.

I will get someone there to take care of woundeds as fast as possible... That is the reason why HQ teams are presented in game. Right? I'd say that overall i manage to keep KIA numbers pretty low, if my battle overall goes well. Not even close to 1:3.

Ratio 1:3 comes true, if something goes stlightly wrong, like my platoon doesnt' manage to hold their positions but needs to start withdraw from attacking enemy and leave fallen troops behind.

This is my un-educated guess conserning Blue. About Red i'm not so certain, been playing Blue quite much lately.

I noticed that there are usually WAY more KIA than WIA at the conclusion of my CMSF/M battles. Especially in comparison to CMx1 battles.

If you're using a lot of vehicles against other vehicles, that's why. They tend to take everyone with them when they go. Especially Syrian vehicles. Survivability is apparently a four letter word in Russia.

It is my understanding that historically, as most of you know, wounded men vastly outnumber KIA's during your average battle.

Because historically artillery accounts for the majority of battlefield casualties while being one of the least lethal. When it comes to strictly direct fire engagement, a 1-to-1 ratio is historical. That isn't to say that CMSF is perfect, but it's not completely out there by any means.

There was a thread that touched on this topic but I could not find it. I'd be interested to read the discussion and Steve's comments (if any). Anybody recall it?

Thanks,

GPig

I've noticed this too, it seems more prevelent since one of the later patches, of course my opinion is based on my own anecdotal evidence and I haven't done any testing, but even in infantry vs infantry battles the KIA's are significantly more than the WIA's from what I've observed.

Wasn't it by patch 1.11 that they do fire at tile even when there is no more visible enemy as it has hit the dirt and gone to hiding, earlier this ment that shooter didnt' shoot anymore at tile, but now they fire at that place for short time... And by WIA which gets hit turns to KIA.

Or am i dreaming?

Last battle i played was Marines against Army, me as MArines. And even when my battle was very succesful i had 2 times more dead than wounded! I guess Strykers with their 40mm AGLs was responsible for that, as they seemed to keep firing at tile even if my men went to hide (ofcourse i dont' know did they manage to hide). Strykers were easily using tens of 40mm grenades at single tile. At least that was conlusion i made while wondering how KIA numbers were so high.