Cmmods

Make sure you are posting on Cmmods and the repository. I have noticed some people just posting their scenarios to the repository. I for one have had nothing but trouble from dowloading from the repository as of late. No problems pre-holiday's so I have no idea what the issue is.

I hope Repository compliments cmmods.com. That was the intent. ColumbusOHGamer has gone above and beyond the call of duty for CM. I hope Repository has taken some of the strain off his home net connection. I'd hate to be him trying to do work online while six gamers are downloading the latest 100mg mod off the same connection. Repository may have its troubles, so did cmmods.com on those many times that we all conspired together to overtax it.

'Hasrabit' was a little more than 34MB and took around an hour to upload to CMMODS. 'Dinas' is going to be around 52MB so I expect the upload time to be around 1 hour 40 minutes or so. I did a test upload to the repository a couple of months ago and it was VERY fast but I didn't see anything happen for about a day afterwards. If you're uploading scenarios then definitely post them at both sites.

Recently I've preferred the faster up/download speeds of the repo (especially for the big mods), but I agree, the current category setup (or lack thereof) is awkward.

There is a search option, but it's somewhat hidden. (Perhaps we should open a seperate suggestion thread of how to imporve the repo interface?)

I also fear I've already used up too much of CMMod's valuable space for my mods :D, so I've only posted my latest scenarios/mods upon request on CMMods.

But I promise I will try to post new scenarios on CMMods and the Repo in the future, again.

Perhaps we should open a seperate suggestion thread of how to imporve the repo interface?

Feel free to do this and open a new thread. The current category setup was always meant to be temporary and evolve over time. It's fairly simple to change it from the backend. It just didn't make sense to create too many subcategories when it was empty and it was not foreseeable which categories are useful and which aren't.

I hope Repository compliments cmmods.com. That was the intent. ColumbusOHGamer has gone above and beyond the call of duty for CM. I hope Repository has taken some of the strain off his home net connection. I'd hate to be him trying to do work online while six gamers are downloading the latest 100mg mod off the same connection. Repository may have its troubles, so did cmmods.com on those many times that we all conspired together to overtax it.

MikeyD is spot on. The Repository is not meant to replace CMMODS. It hardly could even if we wanted to: the sheer amount of stuff available at CMMODS is breathtaking.

Both sites have different approaches to usability etc. which have their pro's and con's: the Repository is more web-based with pretty pictures and stuff while CMMODS has much better (micro-)search functions (which, even if we keep improving the Repository will likely remain unmatched due to the design philosophy differences).

The idea of the Repository is to make it easier for some newer members and fans to access some of the cool stuff the modders are producing, and I think it does that fairly well. It's an addition that supports what CMMODS and the other repositories out there are doing (like e.g. the scenario depot) and not a replacement. If we get just one new customer to check out a mod or two, we've achieved the goal we wanted. Think of the Repository as the bait, CMMODS as the hook :)

Well, it wouldn't take much.

The main thing for me would be the main screen for CMSF. The containers (Base, USMC, British) and sorting by dates, author, etc are good. I would like to see more though. Filtering by Red or Blue, Textures, Sounds, stuff like that. The lifespan of this game is going to last several more years (assuming a non-2012 apocolypse :0), and there's gonna be a lot more mods in the future.

Right now, you've got your containers, then a big list of files that are a little of everything, then you can find stuff at the bottom listed by most downloaded and all that. It's like 3 different ways of actually getting to the files. Maybe there should be one fluid way of exploring all the files in addition to what's already there.

I would also definitely put the "submit file" button and the "search" button up at the top.

Otherwise, uploading is pretty easy. Downloading has worked fine for me except when I reached a cap. That was no fun, but I understand the reasoning. Otherwise I'm just glad it exists!

I was assuming the apocalypse was not until 2030 or something? :D

Anyway, In addition to what Seabee said, especially about the search and submit button and being glad that the repo exists :D, I think the current container setup is sometimes a little cumbersome. I understand the reasoning to have categories for each module, but when I'm looking for a new scenario, for example, I need to scan through all module containers and their "scenario" subcategories to check what's available. Same goes for mods and other stuff.

I think it would be better to first sort the containers by type (scenarios, mods, etc), then by module. Or even no subfolders for the modules. Or have the option to display files in a container, regardless of their module.

For the containers, I'd suggest a general Shock Force container first, then

subcontainers by type (I think we should have 3 seperate containers for maps, scenarios and campaigns, and one general folder for mods which will break up into subfolders as needed (for example once there are 3 or 4 different mods of a type, like vehicles, they should get their own "vehicles" category). Finally either sort the files in each container by module or list them all.

So for example, if I'm lookin for a British scenario, I'd go to Shock Force/Scenarios/British. If I decide to look for a Marines scenario, I hop back to the Force/Scenarios/ container and then into the Force/Scenarios/Marines container. This seems more fluently than the current setup, where I'd need to get back to the Main Shock Force container, then to the Modules container, then to the scenarios container.