Repository issue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This could indicate some kind of firewall or proxy problem on your end. There is a download limit per file per day (I think it's 5 or 10 downloads) to prevent leaching. If you reached that limit after just one download, then your browser/downloader has tried to establish multiple connections during the download. Some downloaders do that on purpose, but it can also indicate an incorrectly configured firewall or proxy.

I would suggest to try again tomorrow (the limit is for 24 hours) and use a download manager program such as Download Express, DAP or GetRight (or others) to "catch" the download. You can then resume it even if your connection breaks off.

I tried three different computers today with various browsers to try and download the Dinas (linear) campaign from the repository. Each time I checked the agree to license box and clicked download I get a 'The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading' or a 'webpage cannot be found' message and have thus used up my download limit for this file for another 24 hours, without downloading a single byte of data.

It should not count to your file download limit unless the download actually starts. Unfortunately the repository is nothing but an endless source of frustration for me.

Exactly the same issue with the new QBs...failed connection a couple times and then it says download limit reached. It must be lying because I DIDN"T ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD ANYTHING!

btw, isn't having to click on the agreement every time a little on the legal paranoid side of things. I work with large multinational corporations that aren't that paranoid.

I got also some problems to download the latest Paper Tiger campaign.

Firefox 3.0.5 returns me an error (can't connect to the server).

I used Free Download Manager and the download only begins after the second try. (got error : connexion lost with server).

But finally I got it.:)

bodkin, that's not really surprising. Firewalls and proxy servers don't work at the browser level. They are there no matter what browser you use. If you have problems there, you're going to have them no matter what browser you use. Until you fix the underlying problem using different browsers won't change a thing.

Exactly the same issue with the new QBs...failed connection a couple times and then it says download limit reached. It must be lying because I DIDN"T ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD ANYTHING!

Technically, there is no way to check if the download was successful unless we use a built-in downloader that is tracking it. Once the file is handed off for download, the download tick is registered. If something is blocking the download on your end, be it your browser settings, firewall, router, or some other downstream problem, there is no way for us to know.

If downloads don't work for you consistently then there is some underlying problem that you need to solve first. Trying again and again is like running against a wall time after time wondering why the door doesn't open :)

Sergei, people here have voted for a free download system. Such a system is bound to have downtimes, disconnects and all sort of other problems, because we're using a single on-site server. A server (cloud) network that we had originally planned for this, which would provide 100% reliability, is too expensive to go without a paid membership.

Technically, there is no way to check if the download was successful unless we use a built-in downloader that is tracking it. Once the file is handed off for download, the download tick is registered. If something is blocking the download on your end, be it your browser settings, firewall, router, or some other downstream problem, there is no way for us to know.

If downloads don't work for you consistently then there is some underlying problem that you need to solve first. Trying again and again is like running against a wall time after time wondering why the door doesn't open :)

OK, I have downloaded stuff recently from the same computer with no issues. SOmething changed on your end. It still says I have reached my download limit. Obviously, I am not the only person havig the problem.

Nothing changed on our end. The file download limit is in effect for 24 hours, so simply try again later.

My remark about it not working consistently was directed at another user in this thread: if it worked for you then obviously your settings are ok if they didn't change, and it may be a downstream problem or another temporary server issue blocking the download.

PS. I never said that you're the only person having a problem. Clearly, others have it, too, at least from time to time, and I myself ran into it as well occasionally in the past.

I have checked on the Repository server (it's a different one than hosting the main site or e.g. the store) and it's up and running. However, I did notice irregularities with ftp access (we use the file transfer protocal for downloading the files, which is *supposed* to be more reliable than http access), and have notified the company servicing the server to check on it, and to see if they can improve the reliability.

bodkin, that's not really surprising. Firewalls and proxy servers don't work at the browser level. They are there no matter what browser you use. If you have problems there, you're going to have them no matter what browser you use. Until you fix the underlying problem using different browsers won't change a thing.

I used different browsers on three different machines in different locations and I understand what a proxy server is. I have downloaded successfully in the past and have not changed any settings, the frustration comes from being barred from downloading because I went back and tried every hour or so hoping it was working again.

I finally got the files I wanted tonight so you obviously fixed your end. ;)

Seems like this might be a good thread to ask you a question, Moon. On the 'announcement' page you mention an "optional terrain pack" by Kwazydog, but I can't find it anywhere. Has it been superceded (perhaps by v1.11), or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.......

I just tried to download the new QB maps by Mike and I'm now encountering the same problems others have reported. I haven't changed anything on my end - I first noticed the problem a few days ago while trying to download another file. It seemed to resolve itself on its own, but cropped up again today.