Brit Pack update?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh right, cheers for that. Should have looked harder:o

Edit: Can we also get a little information on how the Apache's CRV-7 rockets are going to work? The British Apache as far as I understand fires flechette rockets, filled with five tungsten darts as opposed to the HE Hydra which is more commonly used with the American Apache and Cobra crews apparently.

Will this mean an increased anti-personnel capability as the flechette darts obviously spread out creating a wider area?

Ooops, yep you are right. The five tungsten darts are used in the FAT armour piercing CRV-7 rockets. Although I realise Wikipedia isn't a reliable source of information.

But, can we have any information on the differences this Apache's rockets may have compared to the American Apache, if any?

GPMGs with a section seem to be local modifications or peculiar to the Paras

Agree that more likely with the Para, but definately not only them. I think that it is local battalions or even individual platoon decisions but I'm under the impression that it's widespread.

I'm trying to imagine what the in game differences will be from the US squads.

As far as I know the British and Marine modules are only available from the Battlefront website, however I believe you can order it as a CD/DVD from the website under 'mail' in the delivery options. As for a special pack including both U.S. Marines and British Forces, I don't know.

On a different note, I still can't wait to see how the Harrier GR9 will work without its cannon, for instance if it will be included on largely infantry maps as it will have only rockets, dumb bombs and Paveway II/III/Enhanced Paveway to use.

From what I've read the Officers on the ground didn't like the Harrier GR7 because it had no cannon and no accurate way of delivering the rockets on target, they had to rely on visually finding the target, coming around, relocating the target and then firing on it.

However, the GR9 seems to have improved with its Sniper ATP, but I'm still unsure how useful the GR9 will be without a cannon for very close air support, as I've needed on CM:SF quite a few times and found very useful.

As far as I know the British and Marine modules are only available from the Battlefront website, however I believe you can order it as a CD/DVD from the website under 'mail' in the delivery options.

Definitely correct. You can order a DVD version of the Marine Module from the website. It is a bit more expensive than the Download version once you include the Shipping and Handling charges.

As far as I know the British and Marine modules are only available from the Battlefront website, however I believe you can order it as a CD/DVD from the website under 'mail' in the delivery options. As for a special pack including both U.S. Marines and British Forces, I don't know.

On a different note, I still can't wait to see how the Harrier GR9 will work without its cannon, for instance if it will be included on largely infantry maps as it will have only rockets, dumb bombs and Paveway II/III/Enhanced Paveway to use.

From what I've read the Officers on the ground didn't like the Harrier GR7 because it had no cannon and no accurate way of delivering the rockets on target, they had to rely on visually finding the target, coming around, relocating the target and then firing on it.

However, the GR9 seems to have improved with its Sniper ATP, but I'm still unsure how useful the GR9 will be without a cannon for very close air support, as I've needed on CM:SF quite a few times and found very useful.

Word on the street is that the Harrier is being phased out of combat for now. Maybe even being retired is a strong rumour. In fact some senior naval officer has actually resigned over these plans. On a simialar vein, the typhoon isnt yet dropping ordnance for real and still has a while to go to do so. This leaves the Tornado GR4 as the sole ground support weapon from about Apr 09.

Yep, I've been reading that the GR4 is to replace Joint Force Harrier in Afghanistan from the end of January or February this year. Not heard about the Harrier being taken out of service though, from what I've heard the MoD//Treasury(:rolleyes:) want to upgrade the Harrier GR9/A's to keep them in service until 2020. All part of Labour's plan not to have to buy the Joint Combat Aircraft (JSF) I imagine. Sorry, mustn't get political.

The Typhoon has dropped ordnance and used its cannon in the United States during Operation Green Flag I believe. They dropped several Paveway IV's and did some strafing runs, as the MoD agreed to give the Typhoons a cannon in the end, which is nice.

As for not dropping it that often, well that's probably because to practise live (or even training rounds) the jets and Apaches must go to the United States as it's the only place big enough for the aircraft to practice their manoeuvres and fire off live weapons at the time.

Of course, shipping just the Typhoons and its pilot over there can be a bit of a drag, but having to find the transport aircraft from the already overstretched RAF to take the ground crew and weaponry over as well is a bit of a challenge so obviously not something that can happen too often.

There was a bit of silliness reported in the papers about the retirement of the GR9, but there is nothing official. GR9s are needed for the Carriers prior the the availability of the JSF. Being taken out of Afghanistan gives them a chance to train in other things - different environments, including the current carriers.

Typhoon has been cleared for using bombs and cannon against ground targets since June-July last year.

That's true enough, the Harrier force needs to keep up its skills in other areas, such as air defence and naval warfare, makes perfect sense to pull such an old airframe out of a high intensity operation.

As far as the Typhoon becoming operational, some dates I've seen being thrown around are as early as this November or next January, which is quite a short time for the Tornado squadrons considering the crews and aircraft deploy for four months at a time.

I'm one of those cynical people too, I'm afraid. Look at the government, cancelling good defence projects (A-400M possibly) and spending money on useless ones which are already available off the shelf (FLynx when we could use UH-1Y's...).

I can see why the commanders wanted the GR4 deployed, to prove its operational worth so its numbers won't be 'reduced' to make money for the F-35, leaving us with a hole in our already dwindling air force. Look what happened when the government disbanded the F3 squadrons because we had some Typhoons in service, we have gaps in our air defence coverage that radars can't cover.