Marines v1.11 Bug with QB's?

I tried a few more QB again and paid attention to the load time. I have the same loading issue that you noted; it gets to 77%, then hangs for a while. Then shifts me to the other side. This happens 100% of the time; QB's are completely broken on my machine. One time I had to give it the Ctrl-Alt-Del and end the process.

Erick

confirm, I have some problem with few new QBMaps - not always and without switching sides! Load 77% and waiting long time and after loading crash with CM Shock Force.exe error message. This happens 2 times from 6 quick battles.

Well, it is a strange one that's for sure. People that are experiencing it are seeing it a LOT, others aren't seeing it at all, some others see it occasionally. There are a number of different things to consider, hardware being one of them.

You guys might not remember but we used to have asynchronous TCP/IP for CMx1 (CMBB maybe?), which meant that both sides could start watching the playback at the same time. Saved a little time. The problem was that the Intel CPUs at the time had bugs in how they rounded. One chip would round one way, another chip would round a different way. If you played against a guy with the same exact CPU you'd have zero problems. But if you were unlucky enough to be matched with someone with a different CPU (and I mean production lot, not a different family of chips IIRC) sooner or later during the game things would diverge. From that point on each side would experience different results. There was no clean way to work around the problem so the nifty code was ripped out and that was that.

I'm sure it's not that bad this time around, however clearly something is amiss! We're doing some intensive stuff right now so it will be a week or so before Charles is back into debugging mode. The testers are doing a fine job keeping the internal tracking of this problem up-to-date so that when Charles gets back to debugging stuff this should be in the top 2 or 3 issues he deals with first.

Steve

Hmmm,

Here's more information on this. (Note; I've run QB's under Marine's v1.11 with NO error, however those two were both US Army specified as the Blue force, medium size, attack, random Red.)

I just tried, twice, to fire up a QB. Both times it locked up. Small, dusk, Random Blue attack vs. Random Red.

77% loading stalled out there for over 1 minute. The next jump in the loading routine took me to 84% both times. That's where it froze.

After ctl-alt-del out (in Vista64) I saw an error message for CMSF's exe. It said it had run out of memory. I've got 8 gb installed and usable, plus 768mb of videocard memory. That's ram. Cache is windows controlled (something north of 200Gb left on the ol' hard drive.)

Edited to add: I just tried again. The only variable I changed was the blue force. I went from Random Blue to US Army. That has enabled me to successfully start a QB.

So, based on this data point, the option of using US Marines in a small QB may be what freezes it for me, under the givens I've listed above.

Thanks,

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it is a strange one that's for sure. People that are experiencing it are seeing it a LOT, others aren't seeing it at all, some others see it occasionally. There are a number of different things to consider, hardware being one of them.

/snip/

I'm sure it's not that bad this time around, however clearly something is amiss! We're doing some intensive stuff right now so it will be a week or so before Charles is back into debugging mode. The testers are doing a fine job keeping the internal tracking of this problem up-to-date so that when Charles gets back to debugging stuff this should be in the top 2 or 3 issues he deals with first.

Steve

Any update on this issue yet? Will a fix make it into the next patch?;)

I had the exact same issues with QBs as have been mentioned. Did anyone of you tried to get a save game from this? Normally, when i take a save from a QB the save file gets named Schnellgefecht 00X(german for Quickbattle), but when it does not work the save name is totally weird, i made a picture and posted it here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=81861&page=4

For me QBs seem to work now after i had to do a complete Windows reinstall (actually 2 reinstalls...), didnt see this problem again since i installed CMSF+Marines. Probably not an option for anyone though...

I had the exact same issues with QBs as have been mentioned. Did anyone of you tried to get a save game from this? Normally, when i take a save from a QB the save file gets named Schnellgefecht 00X(german for Quickbattle), but when it does not work the save name is totally weird, i made a picture and posted it here:

For me QBs seem to work now after i had to do a complete Windows reinstall (actually 2 reinstalls...), didnt see this problem again since i installed CMSF+Marines. Probably not an option for anyone though...

I just uninstalled CMSF, CMSF:Marines. I then installed CMSF from the CD (I had to burn it to an image file, use Daemon tools to install it since none of my CD/DVD drives would work; I click on install and the CPU sits at 52% and nothing happens). Then I installed CMSF V1.08. Quick battles worked just fine, no shifting sides. Then I installed CMSF Marines (download version). Quick battles worked just fine. Then I installed CMSF Marines V1.11. Then the QB don't work any more and I get switched to the other side. Is this an issue with V1.11?

I'm going to do this again and leave the game at V1.10 until this mess is cleared up.

Erick.

I had to do a complete Windows (XP) reinstall as well. Unfortunately, in my case, the side switching problem remains.