[Defect] "Invisible Folders"? Multiplayer/E-Mail

Okay, I tried to play my first PBEM game today.

1) I play my turn, the first turn of the game as the Japanese.

2) I end my turn

3) I save the turn, named it.

4) Now I I look for the folder of where the named file should reside. Because I want to E-mail to my opponent.

5) Where's the folder? Is it invisible?

What's the deal? I had no problem with SC-2 PBEM. Where's the folder with the E-mail file?

I've not had this issue, as whenever I start a new pbem game it has always created an E-Mail folder for me. Hubert may have an idea here as to what the problem/solution is.

I have had a minor issue when receiving my very first PBEM turn, if I hadn't already started a PBEM game myself, as my operating system doesn't like installing empty folders when downloading games (in this case I have to create the E-Mail folder myself so that I can pop my opponent's first turn into it). But in my experience the game should have created an E-Mail folder for you, as you had started the game yourself.

This can be simply rectified (via explorer) by going to the game's folder, going to the game's Multiplayer folder, and creating a folder called E-Mail.

However, that doesn't explain where your saved game is.... I can only recommend searching the game's folders looking to see if there is a saved file somewhere, dated to when you started the game.

If not, create the E-Mail folder and recommence the game. You'll have to redo turn 1 but hopefully that won't take too long.

It is located in:

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command WWII Pacific Theater\Multiplayer\E-mail

It will create the folder named Multiplayer automatically the first time you ever start a MP game. So if you start OpZ as Japan it would auto created it. If your opponent did and you have never played a MP game before you would have to create the MP and Email folders yourself.

Vista likes to "make things easier"...so it sometimes hides things! Argh. I had the same problem, and Vista sends my PBEM games to a "Virtual Store" folder. If you're using Vista, look in "your profile"/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Battlefront/Strategic Command WW2 Pacific Theater/Multiplayer/Email. That's where I found Vista hiding mine. Once I found that, I right clicked dragged a shortcut to my desktop. When I download a turn, I can easily locate the folder and save turns there, email them, etc.

Hope this helps JJR.

On Vista, and for any program installed into the 'Program Files' directory, it pretty much does exactly what Capt Andrew mentions in that it stores saved game files into a 'Virtual Folder'. This is directly connected to it security system and its User Access Control system.

I'm not sure of all the details on why it does this but there is a pretty good link below that explains how to access them once you navigate to your SC Pacific Theater installation folder. Essentially you just have to click on a button in your navigation window called 'Compatibility Files' that will then direct you to the 'virtual folder'

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

I also like the idea that Capt Andrew suggested which is to create a shortcut to your desktop to this virtual folder as well.

Another option of course is to install to another directory other than 'Program Files' as this does not seem to happen if you do so, i.e. C:\Games\Strategic Command WW2 Pacific Theater etc.

Hubert