From the Dawn to Setting Sun-Marines Mini-Campaign RELEASED!

OK, the new version is updated for 1.11 and out on CMMODs! Hopefully the Repository version will also be up soon. Thomm was definitely right, Mission 3 was impossible with 1.11, so I made it a little easier. Enjoy!

I just played it with 1.11 yesterday (with the original version) and no problems, a few casualties but nothing major. Just about to start mission 5 now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also am enjoying this mission. Just starting Mission 4, it looks like a doozy. I am doing very well so far, just 3 WIA and 4 or so walking wounded, and I am tempted just to bypass the compound without trying to go house to house... we shall see. Have to confess, I had a blowout in mission 2 and had to restart, but other than that I haven't done much saving and loading. The trick, as someone else already pointed out, is to keep your distance. Get a LOF and just park yourself in cover until the enemy stops responding. Use your MGs and SMAW squad to crack buildings. Its usually fairly straightforward.

***SPOILERS***

Mission 3 is great fun. It is pretty much a textbook opportunity to use the Assault command. Set long distance assault commands of several hundred meters for your 3 squads and have the MGs cover. Give everyone target arc areas of responsibility and send them off. Watching the rifle squads break up into teams and leapfrog while covering each other without providing any additional commands is a joy to watch and a triumph for whoever made the AI... using this technique I got all the way to the bridge w/o any trouble. I didn't anticipate additional syrians in the second row of buildings on the right and I took a couple of hits moving into the central 3 story building. Had to leave a guy out on the ground while everyone else scrambled to cover, then sent one fire team back out to perform aid. Tons of fun!

Anyone having trouble with Mission 2- you pretty much have to dismount and proceed forward. This sort of breaks the role-playing, but maybe the marines caught a glimpse of something and decided to proceed with caution? Anyway once you have dismounted you should slowly work up the right side of the map, through the orchard. Once on the far side of the orchard you have a nice wall to hide behind to engage the sniper, the building, and the trucks. There is also a spot where you can look down the trench and slaughter the squads positioned there. Just watch out for RPGs...

OK, the new version is updated for 1.11 and out on CMMODs! Hopefully the Repository version will also be up soon. Thomm was definitely right, Mission 3 was impossible with 1.11, so I made it a little easier. Enjoy!

Wow, I did not expect such agreement!

Now that the 1.11 cat is out of the bag, I am curious if you faced the same problem as I did, namely enemy squads that left the buildings and hid behind them. If you run into one of those, you can say Good Bye to a half-squad, easily!

Best regards,

Thomm

*** spoilers on mission 2 ****

Ok...I must really suck because I cannot get past the 2nd mission. I've had 2 goes at it now,

and it's embarassing as hell since I KNOW where the bad guys are and I still get

my ass kicked.

My second go was actually worse than my first. WTF!?!?! The first attempt I actually drove

the trucks loaded up with guys into the field on the left and dismounted. I was SURE there

were baddies in the tree line in that trench, and yet I still never saw them until it was

too late. (I approached with split teams in hunt mode) The sniper on the hill wreaked havoc,

but I pinned him down with an MG finally. In the end I still lost.

Second try I thought I'd skip the trucks and go down the right side over the walls. I did

that, only to get waxed worse this time than the first. WTF???????????

Someone mentioned keeping engagement ranges at 100 yards or more. Well...thats nice

but if there's nothing to shoot at how do you do that?

Signed - Baffled

Phoenix,

*SPOILERS APLENTY*

Mission 2 can be kind of tough. What I found worked for me is to advance through both the right and the left simultaneously. Move CAREFULLY through the orchard on the right, so you can take out those pesky technicals. Once you've cleared the right-hand sector, you can move your men up to put suppressing fire both on the house and the treeline trench. Assault the trench with only one squad (split, of course) and you should be good to go.

UPDATE: I'm reworking the campaign. I realized that I made some errors when I was writing the campaign script, so it should be a little better now. Also, I realized that I made some changes to the core units file that may not have actually made it into the game. That should be fixed.

Also, my LAR/CAAT mini-campaign has been on hold for longer than I intended it to; I don't know yet when it will be available for testing.

Started to play the campaing.

SPOILER ALERT

I notice that in the first mission the enemy in trench does not return fire, they don't even face in my direction even though their solders are dropping like flies. Anyone find this weird?

SIMILAR SPOILERS

The enemy in this mission is Conscript and it's at night. They have very rare opportunities to a) see you and B) not be suppressed. The real trick is to take the compounds with minor casualties.

SIMILAR SPOILERS

The enemy in this mission is Conscript and it's at night. They have very rare opportunities to a) see you and B) not be suppressed. The real trick is to take the compounds with minor casualties.

Oh, I did that :) But I found it funny that they weren't even facing in my direction while I was massacring them.