the old CMx1 Operation type

I loved the scrolling map to be honest. Gave you a sense of progress and continuation and allowed you to add a strategic element to the game. Wrecks from previous battles would stay there and add drama and atmosphere, while you could try to save immobile tanks to repair them. Some other parts were a bit flawed though.

I'm not really fan of linked missions. There is something missing in between and its too black or white. There is something intriguing about objectives slowly reavealed in the distance.

If missions were part of a larger CMC type strategic map I guess I would care more about the story.

I loved the scrolling map to be honest. Gave you a sense of progress and continuation and allowed you to add a strategic element to the game. Wrecks from previous battles would stay there and add drama and atmosphere, while you could try to save immobile tanks to repair them. Some other parts were a bit flawed though.

Operation from CMx1 is more interesting like campaign from CMx2.

CMx1 operations were a great concept.

Linked scenarios add a lot of flexibility, though, and are more appropriate for creating a real "campaign", with force pools and all.

What is painfully missing now is persistent map damage and persistent unit locations.

Best regards,

Thomm

Yeh must agree... I really miss the CMx1 operations... its the only thing I played!

You can see the attempt of trying to make a similar scenario in the Marines campaign from mission 1 to 2 but its shockinging obvious its a brand new map and hardly anything from the first mission persists in the second.

A CMC type campaign map is the only thing that, to me, would have provided an improvement. The linked campaign feature of CMSF is seriously underpowered...

Any reasoning on why there aren't going to be operations? It's funny, I was around during the pre-demo days of original CM and when the format of Operations was announced people were bitching about not having Campaigns. I guess the grass really is always greener on the other side.