USMC Campaign

GSX,

I do wonder why some beta testers seem to take great offence at observations about a game though.

Because some have, in very direct terms, blamed the testers for issues with the game. And by "blame" I mean ridiculed and called childish names. The fact that the people saying these things aren't fit to lick their boots (i.e. I'd never have them as a tester even if they sent me a $1000 bribe) just adds insult to injury. There's nothing more frustrating than to be called out by someone who doesn't have a clue. I know, because for 10 years now I've had it happen to me just about every day :) Lucky for us 99% of the BS rolls off our backs, otherwise we'd close up shop and do something else less sadomasochistic.

This probably stems from the fact that we hear little from the official BFC guys. I can understand why they dont have the time to post though as they are the ones whose livelihood depends on their product.

I'm assuming you meant to say "I can't understand..."? In any case, I do post on the Forums a few hours every day. If I posted any more, do you really think that would be in everybody's best interests long term? I mean, you do understand that if I'm here posting I'm not doing things like writing up a design proposal to Charles on how we can make Campaign development smoother in the future, right? And that if Charles, even hour spent here translates directly into one hour of delay for the next patch, which means an hour delay for the next release, and the release after that, and after that, etc. That's part of why he doesn't so much as read the posts here. The other reason is that he gets way, way too mad when he sees some of the poor attitudes. We revoked his posting privileges ages ago because he wasn't as nice as me :)

Hopefully the broken campaign can be fixed soon as I was having fun with it.

I'm glad to hear you were having fun with it and sorry that fun had to be put on hold for a bit. We are working hard to get the kinks worked out and there should be a result soon. JonS, in particular, deserves a couple of fiths of good Scotch for his efforts :D

Steve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you meant to say "I can't understand..."? In any case, I do post on the Forums a few hours every day. If I posted any more, do you really think that would be in everybody's best interests long term? I mean, you do understand that if I'm here posting I'm not doing things like writing up a design proposal to Charles on how we can make Campaign development smoother in the future, right? And that if Charles, even hour spent here translates directly into one hour of delay for the next patch, which means an hour delay for the next release, and the release after that, and after that, etc. That's part of why he doesn't so much as read the posts here. The other reason is that he gets way, way too mad when he sees some of the poor attitudes. We revoked his posting privileges ages ago because he wasn't as nice as me :)

I think GSX can understand, for precisely the reasons you just gave. :)

I know, because for 10 years now I've had it happen to me just about every day :)99% of the BS rolls off our backs, otherwise we'd close up shop and do something else less sadomasochistic.

Even with only 1% of it sticking, that still amounts to an enormous pile of BS. Thanks for sticking with us.

GSX,

Because some have, in very direct terms, blamed the testers for issues with the game. And by "blame" I mean ridiculed and called childish names. The fact that the people saying these things aren't fit to lick their boots (i.e. I'd never have them as a tester even if they sent me a $1000 bribe) just adds insult to injury. There's nothing more frustrating than to be called out by someone who doesn't have a clue. I know, because for 10 years now I've had it happen to me just about every day :) Lucky for us 99% of the BS rolls off our backs, otherwise we'd close up shop and do something else less sadomasochistic.

I'm glad to hear you were having fun with it and sorry that fun had to be put on hold for a bit. We are working hard to get the kinks worked out and there should be a result soon. JonS, in particular, deserves a couple of fiths of good Scotch for his efforts :D

Steve

In no way am I blaming a non paid tester for anything that goes wrong with a game. They give their free time and efforts to test the features before I get to it. Kudos to them all.

What often frustrates me personally, and frustrate may not be even the right term here, niggles maybe more apt, is that the I have to go find out information from a MB on a missing feature or major bug that is detrimental to the game I am playing.

It would be nice and appreciated for the major things to be highlighted in a sticky thread. I consider a broken campaign to be a major thing. I dont consider the bug I get when looking at a squad and one of them is a crewman all that major as it does not detract from gameplay, so I wouldnt expect it to be highlighted.

A simple statement that the Marines Campaign cant be finished but were working on it is better than finding out by roundabout means. I appreciate honesty, I try to be honest when making statements here. On the other hand I dont appreciate being ridiculed or written off because I have made my statements.

Your job (BFC) is to make games and I understand that you dont necessarily want anyone to be put off your games by negative comments. My cover up statement wasnt meant to mean it was deliberately covered up, it merely stated that the perception out there was that it looked like another cover up job.

I reiterate that I am enjoying the Marines module and SF in general, but all through this last 14 months or so I have continually come up against something that makes the game difficult to play. I also fully comprehend that unlike other companies that may put out 1 patch and move onto something else you have been constantly working on the game. The very size of your outfit means that you couldnt afford to do that anyway.

However, for the $25 that I paid you for this game one of the main features cannot be used, the Campaign. So as it stands right now I got a few vehicles and bigger infantry squads for my money as I could have gotten every other improvement by simply upgrading to 1.10.

In sum, your job is making games, my hobby is playing them, as long as the two keep meeting, then were both happy. A bit of honest information now and then goes a long way to help I think.

Cheers

GSX,

Steve

No I actually meant I can understand...... As in your time should mainly be spent doing what you need to do to get things right, thats not to say you cant spend a couple of minutes explaining some major things ---- see my previous post.

A little perspective here, please.

The campaign, as it stands, absolutely does not play as planned. However, it absolutely can be played.

And you are completely fine with a little foreplay and some heavy petting to get you really really excited... no need to finish, right?

; )

A little lightheartedness here, please.

Cheers!

Leto

• 1 month later...

I think it's been long enough guys. Paid my money in October for this. Patience and goodwill starting to wear a little thin now. It would be nice to have the ability to play the Marines campaign to a proper conclusion. If it's taking this long to fix the campaign why was it released in the first place? Since the initial release of CMSF I've spent more time waiting for patches than actually playing. I've given up on 1.10 because the vehicle pathing drives me crazy. I'm eagerly waiting the Brit module. But rationally I'm starting to wonder why you deserve that from me. It's not good enough to say it will be ready when it's ready. My money was ready at launch for USMC and I expect a quicker fix for a defective product. How can it take 2 months to fix the Marines campaign? Where are the info updates on progress and eta for those who have bought it and would like to finish it?

You have to cut BFC some slack. What they are attempting with this game system is phenomenally difficult. Furthermore, the serious wargaming market is only quite small. Steve has a valid point when he says that hiring a lot of help is a good way to go out of businesses quickly. They would have to be ten times there current size to really test a game this complicated.

Most importantly, when presented with a problem they fix it. And if the fix causes another problem they go back and fix that too. It is about all you can actually ask for.

You have to cut BFC some slack.

I've been doing that for a long time. Why should I do it for ever? When will the the USMC campaign be fixed? Where was the quick patch to fix it? In this thread a beta tester said it would be fixed quickly - that was October 14th. It's still for sale and it's still broken.

Frankly, I am disgusted with the lack of progress in fixing the campaign. As Melnibone just stated, this problem was observed 2 MONTHS AGO. I'm sure the new patch will have all sorts of goodies, but without knowing what exactly whats all in the patch, I question the rationale behind making loyal customers wait months to get what presumably would be a hotfix to fix the campaign issues.

If there are underlying issues that make the campaign design more difficult, should not they be address after at least making the current one playable? I don't think we're asking for much here... I did in fact pay for a game that had a complete campaign advertised prior to its release.