dAMN THE NAVY! (spoilers)

Remember that the user designated area for shot fall is not the same thing as the danger area. The danger area is based on the inherent accuracy of the munition being fired, which may have it land well outside of the targeted area.

IIRC for 155s the area is 500m from the aim point. Now here's the rub... if you use Area Fire, then the area shaded is in theory all "aim points". So in theory it's 500m from the edge of the designated target area. In reality I don't think it works out like that, so my guess is the larger the designated Area Fire circle, the proportionally closer you can be to its edge.

Steve

What kind of munitions is the "naval gunfire" supposed to simulate? As far as i remember they haven't put big guns on ships since WWII, and all those ships have been decommissioned. But modern destroyers have some well-calibred cannon on them, don't they.

Maybe not 155mm.

O well, just a thought.

The Arleigh Burkes carry a single 5-in turret, and this is a pretty standard caliber for the DD and CG class ships. The ROF and accuracy of the modern gun mounts is quite impressive, though I'm sure it can't compete with a shore battery in terms of sustained fire.

The OHP class frigates carry a 3-in turret, and IIRC most of the other dedicated warships of this size do as well.

Edited to add: All the BBs were decommissioned in the 90s. It's cheaper to just send a DD with a load of tomahawks. The 16in. guns on the USS New Jersey were cheaper per shot, but it's the coast of keeping the darn thing crewed and afloat that kills it.

Actually ship based systems are a lot more accurate than land based systems, we had the 3inch (76mm) Oto Melare in the dansih navy on the corvette I served on, we did some "burst" firing at ranges out to 9 miles (nautical) with salvoes of up to 10 rnds in 15 seconds and we got everything in a CEP of 100 meters...

Nor the dasnish support ships carry the 5 inch (127mm Mk45) and it is a vastly superior weapond albeit with a lower sustained firerate

Staffan

Some info on Naval gunfire. It is every bit as good as artillery battery fire. The Navy mainly uses a 5 inch gun which is 127mm but is well simulated by 155s. A 5 inch gun mount is fully automated which produces an awesome rate of fire (1 round every 2 sec) and enables them to sustain the fire well. I personally observed naval gunfire in Lebanon 83 and with a two mount ship firing a round a sec the results were devastating. Also naval gunfire is a little different from arty fire in that they have a flat trajectory (better to hit ships). The lateral deviation is less than arty but the range deviation can be more. It is important to know the gun to target azimuth so you know what you are seeing when spotting.

Just to clarify, by the book.

FM 6-30

TACTICS, TECHNIQUES, AND PROCEDURES FOR OBSERVED FIRE

4-6. METHOD OF ENGAGEMENT

b. Danger Close. DANGER CLOSE is included in the method of engagement when the target is (rounds will impact) within 600 meters of friendly troops for mortar and artillery, 750 meters for naval guns 5-inch and smaller, and 1,000 meters for naval guns larger than 5-inch. For naval 16-inch ICM, danger close is 2,000 meters.

I don't know if field artillery can do this, but I've seen (on tv) the big 16 inchers were able to fire one round with a high trajectory, one with a medium trajectory, and one with a shallow trajectory and have all 3 rounds impact simultaneously at the same point. Now that is some gunnin'!

The naval artillery in CMSF Marines is really just 155mm field guns labeled as Naval guns. I don't think they modeled naval artillery.

I have heard that about the BBs as well. I know that with their upgraded fire systems they were able to fire a spotting round, track its trajectory and then have the FDC input corrections and fire for effect before the spotting round even landed. Sweet.

Yes, the part of the US Navy is being played by the 155mm field piece.

I don't know if field artillery can do this, but I've seen (on tv) the big 16 inchers were able to fire one round with a high trajectory, one with a medium trajectory, and one with a shallow trajectory and have all 3 rounds impact simultaneously at the same point. Now that is some gunnin'!

The naval artillery in CMSF Marines is really just 155mm field guns labeled as Naval guns. I don't think they modeled naval artillery.

Its Called "Time on Target" , all the guns in a battery fire at different times to have the shell arrive at the same time - the cancelled Crusader sp had the capability to do it with burst fire , and I think the AS90 and PZH200 can do it as well.