Red Orchestra - Darkest Hour Mod Major Update

Alright I hope ALL of you already know about RO. If you're into multiplayer shooters this is pretty much the top of the pile if you're into realism (which most of you are right?).

The core game is already amazing and still very active (at peak gaming hours usually about 900-1200 people playing RO).

Anyways the Darkest Hour mod team (adding US, Brits, new German units/weapons, and a ton of new maps) just released a major update, that includes para drops and some awesome Battle of the Bulge maps.

DH was released a while ago but was super buggy and had a lot of issues. It's been drastically improved since then though.

You do need RO to play but it's pretty cheap these days. Get it off steam.

Details for the mod update here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/darkest-hour-normandy-1944/news/beta-20-released

Download it here:

http://www.darkesthourgame.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=57&task=viewcategory&catid=3

Or torrent file can be found here:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1874191

There's only one mirror right now and it's totally overloaded so you're better off sticking with the torrent till they get it uploaded at moddb, fileshack, etc. I got speeds of 300kb/sec from the torrent. Tons of people are getting it that way.

Or if you prefer get it at megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HEZDMMED

Like I said though torrent file is the fastest for now.

See you on the battlefield :D

I downloaded it, installed it and still can not play multiplayer. Every time I try to join a server the game tries to download the map, even Foy and Hedgerow hell. I know I have the maps cause I can play them in practice mode. Also I am getting file mismatches, that is an easy one to fix just exit game, find file, delete then restart game. One big exercise in frustration. But hell at least I can do multi player now. The last time I installed it the Multi plater button was grayed out.

Example of file mismatch:

Warning: Failed to load 'InterfaceArt_ahz_tex': Package 'InterfaceArt_ahz_tex' version mismatch

That file is from /Steam/common/red orchestra/Textures

why the hell would I have a mismatch of that file? its not even in the DH mod folder?

Nope, tried it and can't bring myself to like DH. Some f-ed up balancing there.

Ditto here mate.

I tries Cagny again and its still a turkey shoot for the Germans.Due to the allied tanks being so crap.I also tried operation stosser and that was a bit pants as well.I mean wow you jump out of a plane and use a parachute.

YYAAWWNN .What a gimmick and a waste of time.

I just wish MN would hurry up and get tanks.I can't wait for that.

Then you probably installed it to the wrong location. Which would explain a few things.

No, I did that the first time. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and it installed to blah/blah/blah/red orchestra/red orchestra/darkest hour. Because I dutifully browsed to my red orchestra folder and clicked install.

So I deleted that one and reinstalled, however I had steam running and that breaks things apparently.

So I deleted it again, went through all of the other RO folders looking for DH files, got rid of them and closed steam and reinstalled.

That one worked, however on trying to join a server I received a

Warning: Failed to load 'InterfaceArt_ahz_tex': Package 'InterfaceArt_ahz_tex' version mismatch

That file was located in /Steam/common/red orchestra/Textures

So I delete all of the InterfaceArt files and then not even RO will start. I then gave my monitor my best "WTF are you doing to me look" and reverified the RO game files through the Steam interface.

Red Orchestra now starts but to be honest I don't have the heart to try DH. Maybe tomorrow.

Yes Cagny has some serious issues.

However some of the maps are very very high quality. I'd reccommend these three in particular (all from the same mapper funnily enough)

Foy

Stavelot

La Gleize (new one)

Easily up there with the best of RO and has some very intense Battle of the Bulge combat.

However some of the maps are very very high quality. I'd reccommend these three in particular (all from the same mapper funnily enough)

Foy

Stavelot

La Gleize (new one)

Easily up there with the best of RO and has some very intense Battle of the Bulge combat.

Those maps are really cool .

Foy

Stavelot

La Gleize (new one)

I have just tried the Foy map and it is good.As is Stavelot.I havn't tried La Gleize yet.

But these are made up for by maps like Brecourt which is s*** with a capital S.The trenches shouldn't be arrow straight so you get MG raped.The spawn points need moving so you don't rush into the trench from your one exit and get MG raped again.

All in all its crap and i hate it.

I also played about 4 minutes of the something Ambush map and spent those 4 minutes getting spawn raped again and again.A Panther was sitting Machine Gunning the spawn point.What joy.

Cagny doesn't work because the allied tanks are crap.You need twice as many allied tanks to the german ones.

Just played La Glieze after playing Stavelot and yes it is a good map.

I unfortunately ended up on the Luftwaffe server tonight which has a black screen at death and no death messages.I hate those server settings.

I like to know who killed me and also the odd time when i kill someone i also like to know. :D

Just played La Glieze after playing Stavelot and yes it is a good map.

I unfortunately ended up on the Luftwaffe server tonight which has a black screen at death and no death messages.I hate those server settings.

I like to know who killed me and also the odd time when i kill someone i also like to know. :D

Totally disagree DH/RO needs more of those servers.

I played on that server for like 3 hours with a full 50 plyr load it was amazing. Very intense.

Because there's no scoreboard people focus on winning as a team and there's less focus on racking up kills (except where necessary of course ;)). Also, it means you have to rely on listening for screams of agony to confirm a kill. Makes it a lot more intense tbh.