QuickBattle tweaks

I wish that you could choose the "tanks to infantry" ratio. Like uhhh

Only Tanks

Lotsa tanks and little inf

Equalish amoounts of both,

Lotsa inf and little tanks

Only Inf

I also had problems like Asso's before but like him, i dont have the 1.1 patch yet so yea.

It seems that the AI doesn't mount infantry up and move them out or anything. They tend to just walk over to the center of the map and ussually get mowed down by my already positioned forces. Is this issue addressed in 1.10?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About BMPs: hmm, I don't recall having used Special Forces, but i'm quite sure it's because I played until 2-3 AM and forgot everything, so it should be as Meach is saying. :D

One thing to say before I go on: earlier I said the time limit was set to 20 minutes. It's not, the timer started from 20:00, went down to 00:00 and then started going up until it reached 24:00 (like starting from a negative value and going up to a positive one).

That being said, I checked again the map I was talking about, it's "QB Meeting Engagement Open MAD.btt", obviously located in the "Quick Battle Maps" folder. I checked the time limit in the mission parameters and I found out that the battle is set to last for 45 minutes, without time bonuses. This would mean that the -20/+24 minutes interval has respected the mission parameters. The problem is, in standard battles (not QBG ones) the timer starts at the value that is set in the mission parameters (in the case I tested a mission with 1 hour and 30 minutes of battle time, so the timer started from 1:30:00). Every QBG battle I tried has the timer starting from 20, independent from the mission parameters.

I then looked at the AI plans. The QBG battles that I managed to play have the "Exit After" time set to 00:00 for all phases, and the "Exit Before" time set to 1:00. The battle I was talking about earlier has these times set to reasonable intervals, all falling correctly inside the 45 minutes limit. I haven't tested yet, but I don't know if the "broken" timer in QBs has some responsibility. After all, I'm quite sure I started observing the first planned advancements too late in the mission. The fact that they didn't reach the building complex could have been caused by my presence there, and by the fact that my soldiers started shooting, forcing them to take cover or slow down.

Could someone correct me or check the timer thing on their computer?

Sorry if I've not been clear, if there's need I'll try to better explain the parts that aren't well described.

Ok, I tried modifying "QB Meeting Engagement Open MAD.btt", putting all the "Exit Before" and "Exit After" times as in the other missions. Troops were already moving when I reached the complex. Funny thing is, I tried the original version, and there were no differences... Sounds like "gaming at late night strikes again" syndrome (forgetting everything). I was sure they were not moving/started moving late in the game... Whatever... The timer "bug" (starting at 20 independent from map parameters) is there, but it doesn't seem to influence anything (at least to me, the unreliable guy next door).

So, in the end, some mission fine-tuning (by editing A.I. scripts, etc...) and some balancing in the troop selection are the only things I see as annoying (nothing that can't be resolved via editor or "Alt-Q"ing, but still...).

Oh, and I got BMPs when selecting "Mech Infantry->Medium Infantry" as troop type.

Scenario timing settings are more complex than other parts of the scenario build features. I only dabble but my missus is an accomplished scenario rigger.

She informs me that the Exit after and Exit before are to synchronise assaults and so on between groups. it matters not a bit if they are set to 0.00 because the troops will try to move from one point to the other as fast as possible. Once you enter integers for the settings it will only slow them down as they will wait till the Exit after time has been met before hauling ass.

The airborne BMP's are the BMP-3M, not BMP1's the Mech Infantry use.

Once you edit a scenario you have to save it in the scenario folder and the quick battle folder to use it as each. You might have saved it in one but not the other, then went to play it and got the original, which would like no changes were made.

I made a backup of the original .btt file and saved the modified one in the qmb folder.

In the original map the first "jump" must be done between 1:30 and 4:30, or something like that, so it should be working since my spotters are in place in about 2 minutes, and enemies are already moving when I get to see them. So, even if the timer is "bugged", triggers work as they should. I could try removing some steps to speed up their advancement, I'm almost sure it would work. So I take it's just a script balancing issue (otherwise the other maps wouldn't work as well).

Sorry for the mess about the BMP. :P

Remember that the first turn of the game, in WEGO, no AI troops move at all. It's a combined turn of some descript. My knowledge runs out at this point as to why it's a combined turn.

Also the order type dictates movement rates. Max Assault means the troops will hardly move but Dash will cause the troops to move fast. And everything in between has varying degree's of move speed or fire attached.

So you can give a group a quick exit before time but if it's a) the first turn B) a max assault order then your troops are going nowhere.

All this eludes to a skewed view of timing parameters.

Many thanks to Mishga for imparting this knowledge to an old, stubborn Meach while she was busy organising my week ahead. :)

Got 1.10 today. Tinkered a little bit with quick battles.

The time limit I was talking about is based on the QB setup: for a tiny engagement you get 20 minutes, small 25, medium 30, large 35, huge 40. As of 1.08 this time limit was ignored, and the one set in the mission editor was used (if a map had 45 minutes set, the timer started at 20, went down to 0 and reached 24, ending the game). I don't have much time right now, so if somebody could check if the timer is exceeding the limits set by the QBG, I'd be grateful.

Also, I tried a tiny engagement playing as the U.S. Army and using only armors (branch: armor; type: armor), and when the game started I had no units to place. The other battle sizes worked.

I don't know how the maps are chosen, but if selection could be based on the size of the battle and the composition of the forces, the AI plans for the maps could be better tailored to the various situations.

I hate to be so pestering, but I really like fiddling with custom battles.

EDIT: oh, I'm so busy whining I almost forgot to thank BFC for the work they did with the game. I'm no wargamer, but I like videogames in general. I especially like the AI system they used for this game. Alternative scripted plans and a reasonable TacAI seems to me to be realistic as well as a practical solution to artificial stupidity. I think it has much potential and I hope they work on expanding it as much as possible.

Got 1.10 today. Tinkered a little bit with quick battles.

the timer is exceeding the limits set by the QBG, I'd be grateful.

QBG --Mishga and friends...myself included ;) -- Did not set any time limits per se. When reviewing a QBG Quick Battle map in he editor you'll see whatever time limit WE put in. But that time limit is irrelevant to what the QB game generator selects. That is based solely on the size of units selected (tiny, small medium large or huge).

• 2 months later...