9/11

Abbott

Why is 9/11 more special than 10/12, 8/7, 6/21, 7/27, 6/25, 11/13, 4/19, 12/21 or any of the other dates in which Americans were killed by a terrorist attack?

Is it because 9/11 shocked us out of our complacency?

Is it because 9/11 scared the **** out of us and made us do stupid things?

Okay, you guys convinced me. I'll remember and honour 9/11

*Hurgh!*

I'm sorry, I'm getting nothing. What was supposed to happen?

The phenomenon of people displaying their remembering and honouring skills is beyond me. Why is the interweb filling up with people saying that we should do so? Do they want a cookie for their effort?

Who's to say how 9/11 will be viewed and remembered 25+ years from now. It may be noted in a way similar to how we recall Pearl Harbor Day or D-Day or any other noteworthy historical day...or it may become a symbolic holiday, in the same vein as Nov 11 or July 4th...Who knows.

For now, with it being so vivid in most our collective memories, a variety of remembrances and tributes is to be expected.

If you don't believe that/like that, then fine. Move along and don't piss on those who do want to do something.

Excluding the 19 hijackers, 2,974 people died in the attacks. Another 24 are missing and presumed dead. The overwhelming majority of casualties were civilians, including nationals of over 90 different countries.

*taken from Wikipedia*

This is why we remember today. Some seem to forget that on 9/11 all those souls were lost. And not all of them were Americans. Some are so cold and callous that all they remember since then is we went to war, and not why we went.

Since then thousands of soldiers have fought and died so most can still spew their propaganda. And not think twice about those who they left behind.

One should not just remember today, but everyday lives are lost. Stop being so selfish and think of what others are going through.

We remember today for those lost and out of respect for the families left behind.

Lady Redneck

Well, Stalin's Organist has it right too,

I disagree. Bush has been killing the bastards off and that's just fine and dandy. I could give a rat's ass what some foreigners from New Zealand think; often the one’s around here do nothing more then offer comfort and aid to the enemy.

Killing them off is all well and good....unless of course it causes more to be recruited.......

as many said at the time - invading Afghanistan was fine - clear cause and link.

Iraq was and remains a blot on US morality.

you might not care about what I think - but your Govt wants to be seen as leader of "the West" and "the free world" - well that means your govt wants to lead me...and I'll bloody well say what I have to say whether you or they like it or not.

just as you and they do whether I like it or not.

Since then thousands of soldiers have fought and died so most can still spew their propaganda. And not think twice about those who they left behind.

One should not just remember today, but everyday lives are lost. Stop being so selfish and think of what others are going through.

Yes thats right.They are spewing the propaganda alright.

What did Bush say yesterday.

About how we are still fighting the terrorists in their own country which means that we are not fighting them over here(America).

But then he has spouting this propaganda since before the Iraq war and he has been shot down in flames time after time but he still keeps spouting it.

For F**** sake mate change the record.

Who's to say how 9/11 will be viewed and remembered 25+ years from now. It may be noted in a way similar to how we recall Pearl Harbor Day or D-Day or any other noteworthy historical day...or it may become a symbolic holiday, in the same vein as Nov 11 or July 4th...Who knows.

For now, with it being so vivid in most our collective memories, a variety of remembrances and tributes is to be expected.

Well if an event like Pearl Harbour is still dragged up every year like D day still is then 911 is not going away anytime soon.These events happened over 60 years ago and are still brought up on the internet year after year.I just don't understand this need to keep bringing them up.By all means do it on the special anniversaries(IE 50,60 100 years).

But for gods sake why don't you people move your lives on.The rest of the world has why don't you.

I happened to mention on another forum about how maybe it was time to call a halt to announcing the fact that 6 June was D day.God i was called an illiterate young Nazi.I was told to maybe watch some US TV to get my fill of history and then maybe i would understand the loss and courage of these guys.

To which i happened to mention about The Somme and Verdun and all the other slaughter houses of WWI.To which the moron who was having ago told me that he had never heard of them.So much for learning about history.

I then had to explain about how Pearl Harbour wasn't the first carrier plane attack on a harbour in WWII as he was trying to tell me it was.So i pointed about about the royal Navy raid on Tarnato and how the Japs had studied this raid to help plan Pearl harbour.

I also had to explain about the Poppies we wear and the significance of the 11th of the 11th of the 11th.