Map Corrections

I understand that what we have as screen shots may not be indicative of the actual playing map accompanying SC PTO, but I have to make some comments about what I've seen.

I'll begin with the Marshall Islands ss promo.

Maloelap is presented as a big island with nothing, when actually it had an airfield. The big island representation is OK, I understand the significance for game play, but it needs a village to supply the AF.

Further, where is Wotje? It had an AF(village) and a seaplane base(port) in contrast to Majuro which had neither. And Jaluit and Mili(SE of Majuro), both had seaplane bases.

One more correction according to my sources, Kusaie should have both a SpB and an AF. (so a village and a port)

I realize that perhaps for gameplay certain decisions were made about what to include and not to include.....no problem.

But the way I see it, let's get the historical geographic conditions right if there is no gameplay impact. In this instance it seems to be a wash.

Ah see you like improvments. Well here is some quotes for you and everybody else that's been critizising my aim for accuracy over the years:

"Come on it's just a game. Like it for what it is."

"If I would like the gamemap to be correct in every detail I could just have bought a map"

"If I wanted the game to be correct I might as well buy a history book"

"What is your reason for asking this??? What's your motive?"

"I like map errors more than a correct map, how come you don't?"

"Hubert has never let us down, stop whining and sing hallelujah!!!"

"There are many other games out there if you dont like this design"

etc etc

Thanks for the suggestions SeaMonkey. I'll review the islands, particularly those east of Kwajalein as there is something in what you're saying.

I actually do welcome comments because I like things to be as accurate as possible, though unfortunately something often has to give in the search for playability. If we can keep those sacrifices to the minimum then all the better.

Some parts of the map, especially Japan, have already changed quite significantly since the screenshots were released.

Hey Bill, didn't mean to be too critical, but since the game is not out yet and I had some time to review its features, thought I'd chime in.

Helps keep the forum alive.......see ...Kuni's listening....and we all need each others help to make this as appealing as it can be for all....that.. keeps Hubert working.

On our Game.:)

Now I'm not just about lip service, so if you wish, I have lots of reference material for the Pacific, it is at your disposal.

Whatever Hubert and yourself feel comfortable with me reviewing, pre-release, my email is bradtap@aol.com.... or at the lab.....btaylor@camincargo.com. or you can just wait till after I purchase the game and listen to more of our suggestions and make corrections then.

I'll contribute in any manner.

Kuni....I'm in your camp....or you can visit mine, your always welcome.... and a cup of fresh brew is on the fire awaiting your company. I have always appreciated your candor, its refreshing even though sometimes it can be a bit distracting.:P

But you've paid the dues and your maturity shows, you can count on my support, if that means anything. No doubt you are a knowledgeable student of history(and its lessons) and I value your input.:cool:

We'll definitely be posting some more screen shots in due course, but at the moment I'm busy making some amendments to the scenario so I think that posting some more right now could be a little premature. I'm a little up to my ears in work at the moment so when things have settled down a bit we'll see what we can do!

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is that we're getting there! :)

Playtesting has been going full steam ahead and we've been having a lot of fun with big naval battles, massive carrier strikes, landings, etc.

There's still a little way to go and we'll undoubtedly be releasing some more information and shots then...

Honestly, I think you guys will really like this one. Bill has really outdone himself with his campaign designs and I'm also happy to report that Robert Carver has contributed 3 fantastic campaigns including 2 on the Philippines, i.e. 1941-42 Japanese invasion as well as the Allied liberation in 1944. His latest covers the battles of Ichigo in China so it this includes some game play in that Theater as well in the smaller scenarios which is excellent. Additionally Moonslayer has designed a masterpiece with his Guadalcanal scenario so for anyone that enjoys epic naval battles this one is definitely for you :)

There are a few other improvements such as speedier TCP/IP transfers as well as a serious reduction in saved game file sizes, i.e. we were up to 3-4MB and this is now down to about 700K, and of course the other game and AI improvements will make this release one not to miss.

Hubert

• 2 weeks later...