Marines Question

How will the battlefield change to fully use the new marines module? I want to start thinking about new scenerios, but I want to have an idea how using marines will differ than using army units. It is my guess that the battlefields will be bigger. I was just curious how everyone plans to use the marines in scenarios they create.

My only reason for guessing that scenarios will be larger is becauseI assume you would be dealing with more soldiers. I mean those LAV's hold 20 soldiers. And if I am wrong that is why i am asking the questions about what is going to be different between Army and Marines as far as the scenerios will be concerned. What do the Marines do differently from the Army as far as what their mission would be. I know the unit differences, but I just want to know how missions will be different.

There really is no difference between Marines and Army units in terms of how much terrain they cover. The difference is that the Marines are "denser" (hehe) than their Army counterparts. Instead of having 9 soldiers move into a house to check out what's in the fridge, where the booze is hidden, use the toilette (hopefully using scented hand soap after!), etc... the Marines go in with 13 men to do exactly the same thing. The extra men are used to enhance the mission itself, not to increase the scope of it. This means a Marines Squad has a better chance of finding the hidden stash of hooch and to be able to drink it faster than an Army Squad could, it does not mean that the Squad goes into two houses simultaneous.

And people wonder why I usually stick with car analogies :D

Map size can probably be a bit bigger with Version 1.10 in general, though, because of various performance tweaks that have been made since v1.08. Since that is a game engine function it applies equally to any forces used and not just the Marines.

Steve

This is all completely conjecture on my part, but I speculate that the Campaign released with the Marines module will tend to feature battles in terrain with more relief and a somwhat higher vegetation density, as well as perhaps a higher proportion of battles in populated ereas.

Nothing in particular to do with the Marines' doctrine or OOB here, but the strategic map released with CMSF special edition shows the Marines coming in from the Med. coast, and in general the terrain in this area is much more hilly and green than open desert of Southwestern Syria.

If anything, this would tend to favor smaller map sizes. Dense, varied terrain will cut down LOS and make battles more intimate affairs.

Cheers,

YD

• 3 weeks later...