CD Damaged!

Hi, my CM CD is scratched and it seems I can't copy over certain parts of the game during an install. A lot of .BMP files aren't able to copy, and Lord knows what else.

Is there a way for me to get a replacement CD? I have the CD and the instruction booklet, that's about it.

I've tried manually installing, same problem..."Cannot copy from specified drive". Error 517. I can't even preview the .BMP files...the CD ROM can't access them. HEEEEEEEELP! :confused: Would like some instructions on how to go about this. Thanks!

Reply here or e-mail at kicks31@pacbell.net

Try one of those CD repair kits they have on the market that are supposed to fix scratches and what not. I don't know how well they work but it is atleast a cheaper alternative than ordering a new CM disc.

Mord.

Man, I really feel for you. I to have noticed small scratches on my CD recently. By my number you would think I have not had CM that long, but I changed names after about 8 months on this forum. I have used those scratch repair kits before, with only about a 60% success rate. My copy still has not given me a problem yet, but I know its coming. I am scared to try to use the repair kit on my copy of CM since it still works properly.

I ordered a back up copy of CM yesterday, so I am not gonna try to repair the scratches untill I get it.

When my back up copy comes, I will try the repair kit on my copy of CM and let you know if it was succesful.

Sorry man, I wish I could do something for you.

I received a CD Burner for my birthday back in January and the first thing I did was make a copy of CM and all the mods I have. I don't use the original disc any more just because I am afraid that it will be ruined. It is nice to have that protection and lack of worry. It seems no matter how careful one is a cd will still end up with little scratches and the like from constant use. I hope you solve your dilemma my friend.

Mord

Thanks guys. I definitely can't afford to buy the CD over again, I guess I was trying to see if I could send my original CD and manual back to get a new one. Now that I think about it, ha! If I scratched a music CD, I definitely couldn't go back to Tower Records and get a 'replacement'.

Ah boy...well it's scratched and won't work, so attempting with the CD repair kit really won't do me any more harm. Either that, or it's new coaster material. Ugh. :(

Hank,

You don't need to do anything so drastic, all you need to do is email me directly with the name and date that you ordered the game and we will send you a replacement CD for a small charge (covers shipping basically), email me and I will give you all the details.

Madmatt

p.s. Currently we are backorderd so there will be a slight delay before we can ship out a replacement obviously.

Madmatt,

Hi. My CD is also unable to copy or install files specifically "aiff" files to my HD. I ordered the game through mail and money order and I do not know if I have the reciept that shows the date of purchase. I would be glad to pay for a replacment CD ASAP. I suppose I will e-mail you about this...

I had a thread about this a few weeks I ago.

My CM cd had two rings about a 1/4 inch wide on it. :( I think it happened because it never left the drive. I found a very good product for cleaning up a CD with scratches. It is called the Game Doctor. It comes in two flavors, hand crank and electric. It costs About $29.99 for the hand crank and $39.99 for the electric(prices approx). I know it was worth the cost to save my CM disc. smile.gif

[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: Teutonicc ]

My CM CD is pretty scratched up too, but it still reads fine. I even did a reinstall lately and it did hang once only because it had a big ol' finger print on it that the laser couldn't read through. It gave me a "Insert Disk 2" error. Huh, wha? I cleaned the smudge and tried again. Worked fine.

For those of you who got the game recently and want to back it up, you can just drag all the stuff on the CD (Besides the Installer) onto your Hard Drive. That way you can play it without the CD, and use the CD as a Backup. This does take up a lot of Hard Drive space though.

Panther G

Gen X I have a CD burner and I just burned a copy onto a blank CD. I use this instead of my original so if it gets beat up I don't have to worry. I also made a copy of all the mods for the game so if I wipe my hard drive I will always have them.

Mord