After Marine mod what Red equipment needs to be added to mod the Russian Army ?

ZU-23. Part of the basic VDV toolkit and a ubiquitous weapon with many applications, not least on technicals. Anyone see the Afghanistan or maybe Chechnya field mod to a BTR-D in the footage from South Ossetia? Some thought that pretty gangsta.

http://www.warfare.ru/?lang=&catid=245&linkid=2312

NSV HMG

http://www.warfare.ru/?lang=&catid=276&linkid=2293

BMP-T Like an Achzarit, but more modern, way better protected, and with very sharp teeth!

http://www.warfare.ru/?lang=&catid=245&linkid=1785

We also need some of the more common trucks, plus our little friend.

http://www.warfare.ru/?catid=247&cattitle=Engineering

Regards,

John Kettler

I'm actually very surprised that ZU-23-2 and ZSU-23-4 weren't included in the game. Those things are VERY common everywhere, with Syrian not being an exception. Using Shilka in infantry support role would be awesome.

And yes ZU-23 were mounted on practiacally everything - from stationary defensive outposts to MTLBs and truckbeds. Those things proved to be so deadly in urban combat that i don't think they are even viewed as air defense platforms in the Russian army anymore.

Sivodsi,

Spectacular pic and an excellent point! I see we also have a new application for bar armor. Am guessing its use there may have something to do with keeping mud cleared out from the running gear.

The spec sheet says otherwise, but am I seeing the muzzle brakes for two 30mm cannon? If not, what's that thing to the right of the obvious one, almost directly below the bearded chin of the man upper left rear?

Regards,

John Kettler

akd,

Whew! If that wasn't the answer, I was wondering what other possible explanation there might be. As for the thing's operational status, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Given its phenomenal capabilities in MOUT, plus the numerous MOUT nightmares the Russians have experienced, plus the fat Russian budget, I expect they'll have some in very short order. Just think what a difference even a platoon of those might've made in Fallujah! Clearly, the Russians have gotten religion on this high angle fire for MOUT issue. I saw further evidence of this in some Spetsnaz vid in which a BTR-80? with a modified turret for high angle, close in work was brought in to help take down a "terrorist seized" apartment tower.

Having seen the new BMP-T pic, I note there's been a major configuration change in the positioning of some of the optics. Looks like the primary sight has moved from the top of the turret to the base, and the highest item on the new configuration is, I think, the antenna array for the defensive countermeasures.

Regards,

John Kettler

leakyD,

Scary, and did you see they call it the Terminator?! Very nasty piece of kit, as our Brits here would say. I still marvel at the Russian military-technical material so freely available now. I used to be thrilled with getting an actual photograph, but many times had to make do with an artist's rendering (a way of protecting intel source).

Regards,

John Kettler

BMP-T is probably the most exciting AFV to come out in the last 10 years. "Quick fix" solution to refurbish old T-72s taken to the next level - insane firepower, enough protection to act as a RPG magnet (which it was designed to do), and up-to-date observation/fire control equipment with ability to engage up to 5km.

Aimed to be used at tandem with tanks: 2 BMP-Ts per tank in urban environment and 1 per 2 tanks in open country. This looks to be the ultimate urban combat vihicle atm.

And I bet it's cheaper than a Stryker...

From the following thread, near the end of the first page: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83259 Steve says:

Why not add more current Russian stuff into the game as a generic enemy force? Because we don't want to do a half assed job of it, which is what dribbling in this or that vehicle would amount to. Instead we are planning on releasing CM:SF 2 sometime after the first WW2 game. Not only will it have a temperate setting and modern Russian equipment, but it will also have all the game engine improvements going into the next major release (Normandy). We think it's better to devote our resources towards that goal instead of spending it on more CM:SF 1 Modules.

Looks like the Russian stuff we get in the Marines module will be all that we'll be getting. Fair enough I suppose; the more they add now, the less that'll be new for CMSF 2.

Well, I personally think that this may be a mistake. Adding new blue units is only part of the equation of making each module fresh. Even with Brit/NATO units, it will feel somewhat stale fighting against the same old Syrian units, especially for the poor people stuck playing red in multiplayer. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to go with the most modern Russian gear, but something needs to change, and I only really see two options:

1. Upgrade the Syrian forces conventional capabilities with new weapon systems, but that becomes increasingly difficult to keep consistent with the storyline and Russian/Chinese equipment is really the only logical addition (thus infringeing on future product).

or

2. Add to the options for the Syrians to wage unconventional war/insurgency, but BFC has already indicated they are hesistant to venture further into this area (full simulation of civilians, operations other than war, etc.)

3. Fantasy: "A new dictator arises", one who harks back to his days at Oxford and buys nothing but British/european gear, threatens to cut off US oil supply in the middle east. The USA reacts by invading his little corner of the middle-east.

Blue on Blue warfare is obviously the way to go for CMSF1.

There is plenty of units that can be added to Red without deviating from game's storyline.

BTR-70 (I'd rather see BTR-80 tbh since BTR-70 pretty much equals BTR-60PB), BTR-152 (would be good for reserves), ZU-23-2, ZSU-57-2, ZSU-23-4, Trucks (Ural 4230, Praga V3S, old Mercedes trucks), UAZ with machinegun mount. Syrians have all that and in very large numbers. None of it will give an edge against a Blue player, however release of those older vihicles will be appriciated by Red on Red scenario designers. Vintage vihicles and high quality infantry is where it's at with Red on Red.

I'd love to see more Red equipment. The Syrians don't seem really have T-90s (also we didn't invade Syria earlier this summer) so I don't think it really matters much if they are given other stuff. I'd like to see some more modern Russian equipment as well. Also better infantry. I'd like see the infantry equipped with better anti-tank stuff. Make them more interesting. Possibly some better fortifications as well.

Did any of you see my suggestion for bringing in the all too likely contingent of Black Sea Marines? That would give us BTR-80s, MT-LBs, 2S1, 2S9. No idea what happened to the tanks that used to be in the force. In my day, the BSM had T-55M with Drozd, plus a bunch of PT-76.

http://www.warfare.ru/?lang=&catid=321&linkid=2231

As for Syria proper, I think these would dampen Stryker ardor considerably. Syria has 675, about the same as it has ZU-23/2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/57_mm_AZP_S-60

Note that the thing has AP ammo and "can be used against light armor."

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/s-60.htm

Regards,

John Kettler