Revised Manual

Some quick clarifications...

It is not possible to do on-demand printing for a 200 page manual. The cost is just too high (roughly 8 to 10 times higher!), therefore if we do go to on-demand manuals it will be similar to the one we released with Paradox. And that is a 70 so page printed manual and the whole thing in PDF. That's the reason we're still shipping the original printed manual. Although there are some conflicts with how the game works now compared to last year, by and large it is still accurate. We have to balance the disappointment with only a 70 page manual with the issues surrounding the outdated data in print. This is why we're still leaning towards retaining the full printed manual until we run out of them.

In the future what we will likely do is make ONE run of fully printed manuals. When they run out they run out. Their replacement would be a reduced page count manual that can be economically produced on-demand (still 2-3 times the price of pre-printed manual). Therefore, early buyers would get something that later buyers will never be able to get again. The thing is there is no way to tell when the switch might happen. Probably 6-12 months, so it's not likely any of you lot will miss out on it :D

Steve

Steve,

Thanks. I like a printed manual, but that's dependent on the quality of information as well as the level of editing.

A good alternative or additional option would be the pdf manual WITH UPDATES! An out of date manual is worse than no manual at all (my apologies to the road atlas publishers from which I am plagiarizing).

Note the thread I just started with corrections to the on-line manual. Feel free to add on to it.

Ken

medlinke, all customers who buy CMBB get the printed manual. It's just that we offered it in addition to that, mainly for European customers who bought the CDV version (which came with a small DVD-style manual only).

The problem with printing a large run of the manual and then selling it as stand alone item is: we also need a large amount of people buying it :) Considering the fact that more and more people are switching over to downloads only, some of them explicitely to avoid the S&H fees, the chances of that happening are extremely low.

Let's face it - it's you, the customer, voting with his dollars. Showing us that you want less physical goods and more downloads. You can vote for the opposite here, but the final vote is cast with dollars and not words. Because words are free, but what you are voting for is not. Oops, getting all fuh-losophical here. Too early in the morning, need coffee... :)

• 1 month later...
A lot of us would like a printed manual and don't mind printing it out though. :-)

I agree. I print a lot of my game manuals and don't mind printing at all. I'd print the updated pdf that is in my CMSF install folder if it wasn't for the black and green background - I'd rather not use an entire ink cartridge to print it.

Add my vote for a print-friendly manual.